Moment Deathwish vs Praxis Concept

Have some beat-to-shit 184 Deathwishes that have been my soft-snow rock skis the past few years. This year in CO that means I'm still skiing them regularly. Yesterday I realized that whenever I can justify it, they're the ski I'm on in fresh snow from 3-8". I used to think a 100mm ski was ideal for those conditions, but that was dumb. Moving towards a 110 for soft days and a 90 for harder ones. Deathwishes are just burly enough for the speeds I like to ski, and easy when the legs get tired

But I'm a cheap bastard, and I rarely see them used. And there's some cheap-ish minty Praxis Concepts in 187. Anyone skied both and could let me know how they compare?

Only been on one other Praxis -- Yetis in 182 which are my non-pow BC skis. Dig them but they are a bit short with their fair bit of rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Have some beat-to-shit 184 Deathwishes that have been my soft-snow rock skis the past few years. This year in CO that means I'm still skiing them regularly. Yesterday I realized that whenever I can justify it, they're the ski I'm on in fresh snow from 3-8". I used to think a 100mm ski was ideal for those conditions, but that was dumb. Moving towards a 110 for soft days and a 90 for harder ones. Deathwishes are just burly enough for the speeds I like to ski, and easy when the legs get tired

But I'm a cheap bastard, and I rarely see them used. And there's some cheap-ish minty Praxis Concepts in 187. Anyone skied both and could let me know how they compare?

Only been on one other Praxis -- Yetis in 182 which are my non-pow BC skis. Dig them but they are a bit short with their fair bit of rocker.
    blister is not really welcomed here but they have a article with a direct comparison between exactly these skis
    might be worth checking

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    blister is not really welcomed here but they have a article with a direct comparison between exactly these skis
    might be worth checking
    Thanks for reminding me. I'd read that before and forgotten a bit about it.

Sounds like the concept is rad, but not ideal for long days when legs get tired or I'm skiing with the better half.

Concepts are probably the best all around do it all ski I’ve ever had. Super icy and super deep are the two extremes I wouldn’t want them for, but for everything else they are pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Thanks for reminding me. I'd read that before and forgotten a bit about it.

Sounds like the concept is rad, but not ideal for long days when legs get tired or I'm skiing with the better half.
    Concept is awesome for skiing with the better half (assuming she rips less hard than you) they are super fun for just messing around on the reverse sidecut on mellower terrain. If she rips harder than you then they are still awesome for skiing with the better half.

I've owned both (I wrote that Blister comparison, which I more or less stand by). I still own and enjoy the Deathwishes. I sold the Concepts years ago and haven't looked back. Deathwish is just an easier ski that didn't give up all that much ground in any situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've owned both (I wrote that Blister comparison, which I more or less stand by). I still own and enjoy the Deathwishes. I sold the Concepts years ago and haven't looked back. Deathwish is just an easier ski that didn't give up all that much ground in any situation.

Thanks for the write up. I think holding out for a pair of replacement Deathwishes is right choice.

Thread can now be titled -- WTB: 184 Deathwishes.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    blister is not really welcomed here...
    Really?

Seems they are mostly respected, sometimes criticized ('bout as good as it gets - what what ski reviewer is universally accepted?) Am I missing something (show me the post where they get flamed)?

The pricing scheme for the pay stuff seems a little crazy (how many $199.99, one-on-one-consult memberships actually exist, for fucksake?). But hey, the free stuff is worth every penny!

The concept.....god I love that ski
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Yeah, that just bleeds Concept. but sure, if you just want an easier ski that doesn't give up all that much ground, I'm sure that DDub will get it done just fine.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Or just scratch the itch and give the concept a go. I’ve never been on the DW but is was in the cards. Ultimately it was the idea of the ski design working mentally for me. Once on it the Concept did what I thought it would do and how I thought it would do it.

The biggest and best attribute IMO of the concept is the fact that it skis so much more narrow than its measured width. Never once has it felt planky.