Pivot hole pattern

Quick? Are the hole patterns the same for p12,14 and the steel 18’s?
    Thinking about mounting a ski with pivots and eventually putting a new CAST system on it(new CAST is only p18’s). In the meantime I’ll go cheap with a p14 until I scrape together the extrA $ on a CAST system. Hoping the 14 has the same hole pattern

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    Yes.
    Much obliged

I had last year's Pivot 14 Dual WTRs and P-18s in house this Summer. The mounting pattern matched up for both of these.

Same strategy for me as well (18s/CAST) until I decided it was overkill for me and I sold the 18s.

Keep in mind that CAST comments to not use inserts (QK/BF), at least on the toe mount, 'coz the CAST toe employs a standard binding screw thread.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I had last year's Pivot 14 Dual WTRs and P-18s in house this Summer. The mounting pattern matched up for both of these.

Same strategy for me as well (18s/CAST) until I decided it was overkill for me and I sold the 18s.

Keep in mind that CAST comments to not use inserts (QK/BF), at least on the toe mount, 'coz the CAST toe employs a standard binding screw thread.

... Thom
    Thanks Thom. On the no inserts as well. Thinking when I get the CAST setup, I’ll get the extra cast plates($80) and I’ll be able to just use the p14 heel on one set of skis and the p18 heel on another and use the cast/p18 toe on both sets

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ... and I’ll be able to just use the p14 heel on one set of skis and the p18 heel on another and use the cast/p18 toe on both sets
    Fat and skinny ... of course we need at least three pairs of each ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Fat and skinny ... of course we need at least three pairs of each ;-)

... Thom
    Yes but you’ve exposed a flaw in my plan. P14 w 116 brakes to go on skinnies later. I guess I can order the p18’s w skinnier brakes and swap

That's about the only thing I don't like about Pivots and Ions - brake width complications. It definitely takes some planning.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

It is possible to swap the brakes on turntables without separating the dildo from the base plate, but it's not a job for the faint of heart (or the mechanically inept).

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    It is possible to swap the brakes on turntables without separating the dildo from the base plate, but it's not a job for the faint of heart (or the mechanically inept).
    Thanks. I recall reading this, but have yet to have the need to explore Pivot brake swaps.

I also recall 1000-Oaks commenting that Ion brake swaps are quite complicated.

I do a lot of seasonal swapping using inserts in my skis (i.e. using my moving bindings from Spring skis to early Winter rock skis and such), so width flexibility varies between "nice to have" and necessary.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-27-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Galibier Design

Pivot brake swaps could be a good task to master

Thanks. I recall reading this, but have yet to have the need to explore Pivot brake swaps.

I also recall 1000-Oaks commenting that Ion brake swaps are quite complicated.

I do a bit of seasonal swapping using insert mounted skis (i.e. moving bindings from Spring skis to early Winter rock skis and such), so width flexibility varies between "nice to have" and necessary.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Pivot brake swaps could be a good task to master
    Not my video, but here you go. Attempt at your own risk!

Not my video, but here you go. Attempt at your own risk!

Thanks! Good resource. I think he’s done it a couple times. Good little tricks/tips in there

Yeah he used to post here or newschoolers or both, but I can't recall what his handle was.

The first time go slow because you don't want to screw up or lose the small parts, but once you've done it a few times it's smooth. Pro tip: don't bend the plate any more than you have to.

Yeah he used to post here or newschoolers or both, but I can't recall what his handle was.

The first time go slow because you don't want to screw up or lose the small parts, but once you've done it a few times it's smooth. Pro tip: don't bend the plate any more than you have to.
    Thanks PO