View Poll Results: What size Billy Goats?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

3 15.79%

16 84.21%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick advice before I buy my powder skis

Hey guys, I am going to pull the trigger on some ON3P Billy Goats. Was wondering what size to buy. 184 vs 189. Some stats about me...

-6’2” 200lbs
    -PNW ~Northern Idaho/Washington/Montana
    -Current skis, 2017 Line Sir Francis Bacon 190cm

What I expect out of this ski, something to use on powder days that will float well, bust through crud, and be maneuverable in the trees. I have already decided on the ON3P Billy Goats, just need help deciding on the size. I currently have some 2017 Line Sir Francis Bacon skis. These are great skis and I have really enjoyed them, but we’ve had a couple big powder days, 8” or more, and I find myself wanting something wider for powder days.

What size ON3P Billy Goats do you think I should buy 184 or 189.

Thanks for the help!

Easy, 189. Unless you are an intermediate.

174.5 mondo
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This.

The red ones.

how big are your hands?

Did you PM Rontele about them yet?
    189’s

ProTest

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What would you classify as an intermediate? I just bought my own gear this season and have about 15 days on it. Before this season I have skied about 5 or 6 times total. Any questions you could ask that would help you determine if I'm an intermediate? I definitely don't want to get a ski that is too short and won't let me float in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    This.

i'm 5'11 and 190#ish and I skied both the 184 and 189. I went with the 184. For me it does not lack for float, obviously neither does the 189. I could have gone with either, opted for the shorter ski. I have a wider 188 pow ski as well.

Honestly? Try and demo them first if you haven't already. Put the word out. Surely someone in your area can help you out.

Also, those Lines ... do they measure true to size? ON3P skis are true, actual lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    i'm 5'11 and 190#ish and I skied both the 184 and 189. I went with the 184. For me it does not lack for float, obviously neither does the 189. I could have gone with either, opted for the shorter ski. I have a wider 188 pow ski as well.

Honestly? Try and demo them first if you haven't already. Put the word out. Surely someone in your area can help you out.

Also, those Lines ... do they measure true to size? ON3P skis are true, actual lengths.
    I believe the Lines ski a little short because of the early rise rocker. I haven't found any shops in my area that demo ON3P skis. Out of curiosity why did you go with a shorter ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Eighty9 View Post
    What would you classify as an intermediate? I just bought my own gear this season and have about 15 days on it. Before this season I have skied about 5 or 6 times total. Any questions you could ask that would help you determine if I'm an intermediate? I definitely don't want to get a ski that is too short and won't let me float in powder.
    Honestly.. this question would classify you as an intermediate.

Go shorter, or pick a softer/more forgiving ski you can demo locally. You don't need the best of the best big boy ski right now, just get something that will allow you to learn technique while still having fun in 3D snow.

Although I havent skied them, I'm pretty sure the 189 BGs do NOT fit that description.

Total of 21 days. Beginner. Go 184. Ride them for a year or two, sell for a small loss, demo fee, and upsize if necessary.

I believe the Lines ski a little short because of the early rise rocker. I haven't found any shops in my area that demo ON3P skis. Out of curiosity why did you go with a shorter ski?
    Because they were so good, and missing nothing. Plenty of float, so nimble, stable at any speeds I travel. The day I took out the 189s wasn't great conditions but I'm sure I could have made them work, but they 184s don't leave me wishing for anything. In 3d snow you could probably make either work, which is why I suggested trying both.

Go shorter, or pick a softer/more forgiving ski you can demo locally. You don't need the best of the best big boy ski right now, just get something that will allow you to learn technique while still having fun in 3D snow.

Although I havent skied them, I'm pretty sure the 189 BGs do NOT fit that description.
    Earlier this year I demoed the 2017 VOLKL Confession Skis 186cm. I was under the impression that these ski somewhat similar to what the Billy Goats would in terms of ability to bust through crud towards the end of the day and other attributes. I appreciate your advice and that's why I wanted to post here. I think a lot of times people(including me) over estimate their ability. I don't want something that I am going to be fighting with all day either, so maybe 184cm is the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Total of 21 days. Beginner. Go 184. Ride them for a year or two, sell for a small loss, demo fee, and upsize if necessary.
    lol, I still have a lot to learn. I like your idea, it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Because they were so good, and missing nothing. Plenty of float, so nimble, stable at any speeds I travel. The day I took out the 189s wasn't great conditions but I'm sure I could have made them work, but they 184s don't leave me wishing for anything. In 3d snow you could probably make either work, which is why I suggested trying both.
    Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to try either the 184 or 189 because nobody in my area has these to demo. When I first posted here I was almost positive I was going to go with the 189s but now after reading what everyone has been saying, I am thinking that the 184s would better suit me.

Whichever length you get, you best be able to drive a burly ski. They punish back seat skiers.

^^^
    FWIW, this...

If you have to ask.....
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    how big are your hands?
    Are they bigger than your face?

x1000 on the longer length for a pow day only ski. If it was you're 1 ski maybe the shorter 1 but you're also a big dude.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You do realize you'll have to change your handle now to Eighty4

lol, I still have a lot to learn. I like your idea, it makes sense.
    Wasn't bagging on ya man. Some of us were beginners at some point, .

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Just to better gauge my ability level, using this chart I would place myself between advanced and expert. I know that everyone has different definitions of what a beg/int/adv skier is and I am not saying I am an expert skier on everyone's scale. I am just letting you know that according to the chart I linked to I would place myself between these 2 quotes on that link.

"Able to ski strong parallel turns with a pole plant on all blue runs and easy black runs. Learning, short turns, off piste, moguls, powder and more difficult terrain"

"Enjoy the challenge of skiing in control in all conditions and terrain and want to refine these skills"

That being said, I think that on most peoples scale that would probably make me an intermediate level skier. But anyway I don't care what people would classify me as, it really doesn't matter. I am just trying to give you guys an idea of my skiing level so you can help me pick out a ski. All of that being said, would you guys recommend a 184? Also I hope that didn't come across the wrong way, I just didn't want to give the impression that I was struggling to ski down blues when 2funky said Beginner. I spend most of my day on single blacks, with moguls or in the trees somewhere.

If you are set on the BGs, then yes.. buy the 184.

If you are open to wider feedback.. wait a few years for the chargers, buy something that is more forgiving and continue to work on technique.

Shins against the front of your boots.. hands up in front!!