View Poll Results: What size Billy Goats?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

3 15.79%

16 84.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Whichever length you get, you best be able to drive a burly ski. They punish back seat skiers.
    That's what I've heard. They will definitely help me keep out of the backseat, I hope haha.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Are they bigger than your face?

x1000 on the longer length for a pow day only ski. If it was you're 1 ski maybe the shorter 1 but you're also a big dude.
    This was my initial thought. These will be my powder skis for sure. I only have 1 pair of skis right now which are the 190 Line Sir Francis Bacons (104mm underfoot). I think I could probably get away with the 184 based on what most people are saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR11 View Post
    You do realize you'll have to change your handle now to Eighty4
    ahaha ya, damn, you are right

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wasn't bagging on ya man. Some of us were beginners at some point, .
    It didn't come across that way, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    If you are set on the BGs, then yes.. buy the 184.

If you are open to wider feedback.. wait a few years for the chargers, buy something that is more forgiving and continue to work on technique.

Shins against the front of your boots.. hands up in front!!
    I am never opposed to advice people want to share. I love talking about gear. I originally was looking at Moment Bibby Pro 2018. But read so many great things about the billy goats that I decided people love them for a reason. But what skis are you thinking that would be more forgiving that are also powder skis.

Is Eighty9

the year you were born?

Ski length?

the car you drive?

Other?

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Is Eighty9

the year you were born?

Ski length?

the car you drive?

Other?
    Year born

I thought you might be a proud Buick owner....

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I thought you might be a proud Buick owner....
    oh lol, haha nope

Honestly, you won’t really be able to tell the difference between a lot of skis with your experience level. The BGs are awesome skis, but i would seriously consider getting something locally that you can demo first and is going to be more forgiving.

A ski that is too burly for your abilities is going to hamper you in the long run.

Buy a ski that is rocker/camber/rocker and like 100 underfoot in a 185 length. Medium flex. Every ski manufacturer makes this ski and for you they will all be the same.

Hell, buy from a mag on here and earn some brownie points on the board. You’ll get a good deal I bet.

Then in one or two years you’ll know what style you like to ski and will know more what you’re looking for.

I started skiing 191 billy goats when I was an intermediate. I wouldn’t necessarily call them super demanding, especially if you’re large. Also, if you’re skiing a lot of heavy maritime snow I think they are very helpful tools. For me there’s nothing more annoying than trying to ski soft powder skis in Sierra cement. I’m 5’10” 180 and while I sometimes think I’d be just as happy on the next size down, I have to be in very tight spaces to find the 191s cumbersome.

Also, they’re still my favorite skis by far and I’ve tried a good number at this point.

I’d push you towards the 189s but I bet the 184s would work too.

Every once in a while with huge amounts of light snow I crave something wider, but that’s really rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Honestly, you won’t really be able to tell the difference between a lot of skis with your experience level. The BGs are awesome skis, but i would seriously consider getting something locally that you can demo first and is going to be more forgiving.

A ski that is too burly for your abilities is going to hamper you in the long run.

Buy a ski that is rocker/camber/rocker and like 100 underfoot in a 185 length. Medium flex. Every ski manufacturer makes this ski and for you they will all be the same.

Hell, buy from a mag on here and earn some brownie points on the board. You’ll get a good deal I bet.

Then in one or two years you’ll know what style you like to ski and will know more what you’re looking for.
    Don't the BG's have a rocker/camber/rocker though? Also I already have a ski that has that profile, the 190cm Sir Francis Bacon with a 104mm underfoot. But I am looking for a powder ski so I'm not sure what you suggested makes very much sense with it being a 100 underfoot. and what do you mean buy from a mag?

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I started skiing 191 billy goats when I was an intermediate. I wouldn’t necessarily call them super demanding, especially if you’re large. Also, if you’re skiing a lot of heavy maritime snow I think they are very helpful tools. For me there’s nothing more annoying than trying to ski soft powder skis in Sierra cement. I’m 5’10” 180 and while I sometimes think I’d be just as happy on the next size down, I have to be in very tight spaces to find the 191s cumbersome.

Also, they’re still my favorite skis by far and I’ve tried a good number at this point.

Every once in a while with huge amounts of light snow I crave something wider, but that’s really rare.
    Thank you so much for the information. This is what I was looking for. Now I am reconsidering getting the Billy Goats after everyone's opinion on the board. It's like when you finally make up your mind something else comes along haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighty9 View Post
    Don't the BG's have a rocker/camber/rocker though? Also I already have a ski that has that profile, the 190cm Sir Francis Bacon with a 104mm underfoot. But I am looking for a powder ski so I'm not sure what you suggested makes very much sense with it being a 100 underfoot. and what do you mean buy from a mag?
    I guess I’m saying that maybe you don’t need powder specific boards quite yet. You should be able to have a good time in any conditions on your SFBs.

But what do I know. Just make sure you get the red ones.

Mag=maggot=someone who posts on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I guess I’m saying that maybe you don’t need powder specific boards quite yet. You should be able to have a good time in any conditions on your SFBs.

But what do I know. Just make sure you get the red ones.

Mag=maggot=someone who posts on this forum
    Ah would have never guessed that haha. Also what does get the red ones mean, I always see that on this board. Also I am thinking that it's possible I've rushed into my decision making. It's just hard when we've had like 5 or 6 days this year with 10"+ of snow and thinking how much easier it would be on dedicated powder skis.

There's a trick to skiing asym. skis as Powtron has pointed out.

I had a helluva time adapting to the Praxis Quixotes until they finally clicked.

Check the Q thread regarding comments about this. After 8-10 hours I figured them out and I love them. BTW, it was at a recent ON3P demo where I first had this revelation (thanks to Powtron) about both to he BG and the Q.

I wonder if a ski like this this will mess up your learning progression if you go back and forth between your Lines and 17/18 BGs. BTW, this year's BG is the first model with asym. edges.

At this stage (even if you're athletic and a quick learner), you're patterning neural pathways, and throwing in a curve ball with an asym. ski might add to the challenge.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Eighty9 View Post
    Hey guys, I am going to pull the trigger on some ON3P Billy Goats. Was wondering what size to buy. 184 vs 189. Some stats about me...

-6’2” 200lbs
    -PNW ~Northern Idaho/Washington/Montana
    -Current skis, 2017 Line Sir Francis Bacon 190cm

What I expect out of this ski, something to use on powder days that will float well, bust through crud, and be maneuverable in the trees. I have already decided on the ON3P Billy Goats, just need help deciding on the size. I currently have some 2017 Line Sir Francis Bacon skis. These are great skis and I have really enjoyed them, but we’ve had a couple big powder days, 8” or more, and I find myself wanting something wider for powder days.

What size ON3P Billy Goats do you think I should buy 184 or 189.

Thanks for the help!
    Get a different ski. Soul 7 or something. When those feel unstable get the BGs. If you go Billy Goats, 184.

^ ^ ^ good advice. Get a soft ski with a soft tail, ski it for a couple years until you max its speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

I had a helluva time adapting to the Praxis Quixotes until they finally clicked.

Check the Q thread regarding comments about this. After 8-10 hours I figured them out and I love them. BTW, it was at a recent ON3P demo where I first had this revelation (thanks to Powtron) about both to he BG and the Q.

I wonder if a ski like this this will mess up your learning progression if you go back and forth between your Lines and 17/18 BGs. BTW, this year's BG is the first model with asym. edges.

At this stage (even if you're athletic and a quick learner), you're patterning neural pathways, and throwing in a curve ball with an asym. ski might add to the challenge.

... Thom
    That's a good point I never considered this. I will do some more research before pulling the trigger on anything. I just kind of got in a rush and wanted to buy a ski sooner rather than later. Guess there is really no rush though.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Get a different ski. Soul 7 or something. When those feel unstable get the BGs. If you go Billy Goats, 184.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    ^ ^ ^ good advice. Get a soft ski with a soft tail, ski it for a couple years until you max its speed limit
    Thanks for information about a softer ski, what do you guys think about the Moment Bibby Pro?

So I'm figuring with your being 35 pounds heavier than me and 4" taller, that a BG would be softer for you than it is for me. I wouldn't throw out the idea of last year's Goats (no asym.).

The trade-off between say, a Soul 7 and a Goat would be more forgiving turn initiation (7), vs. confidence in manky snow with the Goats.

I wouldn't underestimate the confidence factor, especially if you're pretty strong, but remember that this is the internet, and I haven't skied with you

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Whichever length you get, you best be able to drive a burly ski. They punish back seat skiers.
    Look at turning radius. The skis you're on are 17.5 meter turning radius. Put it on edge on a nice groomer and finish your turn you feel like a boss. The ski you are considering has a radius of 28 or 29+ in the sizes you are considering. Fuck that, you will hate them at your level. I speak from experience. Try to turn those bitches in the trees you best be chin over the tips and gotten schooled in a race program as a kid.

DEMO some skis, any skis similar numbers with that kind of radius and come to your own conclusions. Try some DPS's.

Enjoy!

So I'm figuring with your being 35 pounds heavier than me and 4" taller, that a BG would be softer for you than it is for me. I wouldn't throw out the idea of last year's Goats (no asym.).

The trade-off between say, a Soul 7 and a Goat would be more forgiving turn initiation (7), vs. confidence in manky snow with the Goats.

I wouldn't underestimate the confidence factor, especially if you're pretty strong, but remember that this is the internet, and I haven't skied with you

... Thom
    Thanks for the info. But the soul 7 is only a 108mm underfoot which isn’t much of a difference from my bacons righ now. I am looking for a wider ski that is more suited from powder. But i understand the point you were trying to make about a softer ski vs BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Look at turning radius. The skis you're on are 17.5 meter turning radius. Put it on edge on a nice groomer and finish your turn you feel like a boss. The ski you are considering has a radius of 28 or 29+ in the sizes you are considering. Fuck that, you will hate them at your level. I speak from experience. Try to turn those bitches in the trees you best be chin over the tips and gotten schooled in a race program as a kid.

DEMO some skis, any skis similar numbers with that kind of radius and come to your own conclusions. Try some DPS's.

Enjoy!
    Lol thanks for the brutal honesty. That sentence about the trees and race program had me laughing. Have any suggestions for a powder ski?

Yes I love my Wailers 112's.
    got the 99's too.
    I came into skiing late in life, 35. started taking trips from Hawaii after 3) years of big wave sailing, cycling and riding horses. I saw what guys were throwing on skis and sadly quickly realized I should have started sooner. Made some mistakes buying skis, Nordica
    blowers, Bro's, and shit that had giant turn radius for guys who were turning skis hard as kids. Then I got rid of all those and got deep sidecut, rockered skis with short radius and holy shit, after a few hundred days I can hammer along with some intention. Any of the new shit with lots of shape and rocker are easy and fun. I have a buddy in Colorado that fucking flies and now and minor powdr days inbounds, 6'' or less, he uses his little castle slalom skis with me, because " I'm not used to seeing the back of your jacket"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	222310

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post

I liked this one,

Buying a Hand made in the USA ski recommended by many many high end skiers does not seem like a bad idea.

And
    You could just contact ON3P and ask them what they think, the owner/ Founder posts on this board. He would not sell you something you could not use.

https://shop.on3pskis.com/
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I don’t want to be a dick. Also I’m from Europe, so my view on skiing may differ from the majority of the guys here. But... My advice is to forget about buying new skis at least this season. And may be next one. Invest in learning instead.
    You put yourself in advanced to expert level after 21 days in total. Honestly it’s very hard to believe that you can even make a chain of 5-6 good parallel turns on edges with a good speed, correct posture and good pole plant on a blue run(is it also blue in Europe or already red one?). Or ski bumps with steady rhythm, good balance and pole plant on every turn. Just don’t get me wrong, I don’t say you couldn’t, but it’s just hard to beleive. So invest in your technique. Yeah, it sounds boring and you don’t want to waste your time with instructor. But believe me or not, after 21 days you DO have mistakes. And before they become your skiing habits its much easier to fix them. Also instructor will show you how to ski powder on sticks you already have. And you will probably enjoy it.

And if there is some good powder day - you can always rent a good dedicated pow ski.

P.S. I can be wrong and you’re a talented quick learner

... Thom
    Have to agree with this. Even without the asym, the BG is a demanding ski to ski properly on many kinds of snow. It's a great ski, but it's easy to end up sliding around if you don't have the skills.
    This is not related to length, but more a function of the shape of the ski. In other words; if you absolutely just are going to ski them in pure pow or dry cut-up, get the BG in whatever length you feel like. But for those conditions any number of other skis will be just as good.

Get something that resembles your Bacons, only with more float. Lots of sidecut, not too stiff, similar mount. This will make transitions between skis easier.
    - Any of the Line/Pollard powderskis in 190-ish. Should be the most similar to you skis
    - Black Crows Nocta 188, buddy who's a great skier loves these.
    - Solly Rocker 108 in 190 (is really 111 underfoot). Same buddy use these as a everyday ski. Good float for a 111, easier to get on edge-->ski properly on harder snow.
    - Solly Rocker 122, not sure if they make these anymore?
    - Probably Rossi Automatic 117 or something like that. Not sure about the clown shoe tips for heavier snow though,

Investing in as much good instruction as you can afford is great advice. I did that a lot early on and it really paid off. Also, ignore everyone bitching about bad conditions. You’ll still have fun because you’ll be learning things, and generally you’ll learn more skiing crappy snow.

Talking to the guys at on3p is also great advice. I get the sense that they will tell you if they don’t think their skis are right for you.

As for soul 7s and wailer 112s, it’s just like, my opinion man, but I used to own both and hated skiing them in heavy Tahoe snow that’s similar to what you get up in the pnw. They both deflected like crazy and it was hard to stay centered over the skis.

Another thing to consider is that if you don’t like the billy goats you can sell them on tgr without taking too bad of a hit, especially if you have an average-ish bsl.

You’re going to make mistakes buying skis if you don’t demo. With a lot of the cool kid skis you can’t easily try them, but they’re popular enough that you can sell them at a similar loss to what it would have cost to demo.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    This. Maybe Atomic Automatic/Backland 117. Still a very competent ski, but easier without the unlimited top end.