Dynafit low tech booster, I have to ask.

So checking out the 18/19 mythical shit convention, I saw some banter, a link to and some tech info on the dynafit low tech booster.

https://issuu.com/mountainblogit/doc...al_e/1?ff=true

Edit: page 42, good at linking, I am not.

Question, your standing on the heel piece right? And the ramp angle would be different if you were a 25.5 or a 31? There is no flat tour platform and you’d skin on the heel open or closed?

What is it designed for? It seems the forward angle when touring in flats would throw you over the bars, is it for skiing a pillow line to flat and turning around and going right back up the side?

I don’t need one, I’m not stoked on it, I’m just trying to imagine it’s funtion.

And I’m buying dynastar skis next year. Please build a 196.
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

Putting on skis that have alpine bindings so you can skin up...

Basically a to cast

And possible also for climbing applications, like the 12 mile mostly flat glacier approaches in AK
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Interesting catch.

Seems like your heels would fall squarely on top of the alpine heel unit making it awful for anything but steep climbs. Am I missing something?

Yeah, they aren't meant for meadow skipping. So having your boot heel on the binding heel doesn't matter, because the kind of person with alpine bindings in probably isn't setting a guide skintrack and going straight for that highest heel lifter.

What's that constant stomping on a closed or open alpine heel do? Surely they weren't designed to be used as a climbing lifter?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    What's that constant stomping on a closed or open alpine heel do? Surely they weren't designed to be used as a climbing lifter?
    I'd bet they are more skookum than most heel lifters

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I'd bet they are more skookum than most heel lifters
    I dont know...lots of alpine binders develop slop over time just from "normal" use...i dont know that I would want to use my alpine heels as hiking lifters. YMMV

I wonder what the weight is compared to a Superlight toe piece. I could see this being great for splitboarding and would love to have it fold down flat when I'm actually snowboarding.

I dont know...lots of alpine binders develop slop over time just from "normal" use...i dont know that I would want to use my alpine heels as hiking lifters. YMMV
    I'd bet that there are a lot more forces coming into play as it's normal force. But then on the other hand those forces are in a different direction than the binding was engineered for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    I wonder what the weight is compared to a Superlight toe piece. I could see this being great for splitboarding and would love to have it fold down flat when I'm actually snowboarding.
    The idea of using them for a splitboard is a good idea as well. The weight on the site says 190g for the Booster vs 110gr for the LowTech Race2 (and that's with a heel)

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I did a ghetto version of this system back in the day where i'd slide off the toepiece of a solly rental binding and slide on a solly baseplate/dynfit toe for the uphills. re/re with solly toe for dh.

The system worked awesome for uphilling actually. With the rental heel piece being easy to adjust fore and aft, you could opt for a flat boot angle by sliding the heel back and outta the way, med lifter with sliding heel forward and having boot sole contact to a 'closed' heel piece. A high heel lifter setting worked well by 'opening' the heelpiece and sliding the unit a bit more forward so optimum boot sole contact placement was achieved.

I like this little dynafit gizmo idea...have a few pairs of planks with dh rental bindings, totally opens up new options for including them in the ski touring quiver.
    Master of mediocrity.

Probably works well with full-metal heels like PX18's and 916's, if you can live without flat mode.
    https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/equipm...w-tech-booster