Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless woes

I used the orange presta valve stems and the cores are removable so you can inject the orange fluid which plugged all the leaks

I find it humerous that folks are worried about spending money cuz mtn biking is one of the easiest ways to spend it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used the orange presta valve stems and the cores are removable so you can inject the orange fluid which plugged all the leaks

I find it humerous that folks are worried about spending money cuz mtn biking is one of the easiest ways to spend it
    Fuck ya we're worried about spending money. After buying a fucking $6000 bike a few cases of beer and bag of weed there's nothing left.

edit: to be honest, I don't buy weed. I have enough friends who grow so its always free.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Ya I hear the cash is big down there and that how money gets laundered on 6000 dollar mtn bikes ski gear ect

A buddy in the know pointed out that the Vallhalla pure in Nelson did an inordinately high (pun intended) cash business

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I've never used Stans tape but did try the 8896 tape, couldn't get it to fit stretch down nicely into the center channel though
    That’s why I like the Kapton Tape more now.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Spending a bunch of money on Stan’s Tape pisses me off because of how often I fuck it up and start over.
    Valves last a long time, you can easily replace a mucked up core, and Stan makes a solid valve. I don’t mind buying them, but don’t need to very often. It’s just part of the cost of a build.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

That's pretty amazing you were able to run without sealant.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I don't know if it's that amazing. Why would a proper tubeless tire without any holes in it need sealant to hold air?

I don't know if it's that amazing. Why would a proper tubeless tire without any holes in it need sealant to hold air?
    Cause it's not a perfect system?

Hookless carbon rims with low pressure could seep enough air to spoil a ride.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

IME 819's with maxxis UST, so ust rims with ust tires could be run without stans

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Valves last a long time, you can easily replace a mucked up core, and Stan makes a solid valve. I don’t mind buying them, but don’t need to very often. It’s just part of the cost of a build.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I find after a few weeks the cores get gummed up and stop working well. Used to pulll and clean them but having spare cores on hand is cheap and easy.

That's pretty amazing you were able to run without sealant.
    I'm reluctant to engage, but I'm not going riding for another couple hours and have already had coffee, walked the dog and taken my first good shit!
    No stuckie, it's really not that amazing. I set up (try to at least) all my tires without sealant first, specifically because I want to find out how hassle free it's going to be before making a mess with sealant. It's not uncommon at all to find a good tire-rim combo that sets up really well and can hold pressure overnight, or even get through a ride. As long as the bead makes a good connection with the rim AND there's a good tape job, the sealants role is merely to protect you from punctures. Yes, some rubber is less air tight than others. Yes, some tire-rim combos need extra help to complete the job. Yes, a wrinkly tape job needs sealant or innertube pressure to seal up the wrinkles. Yes, having sealant is great insurance when actually riding. No, it is not absolutely necessary to have UST or even Tubeless Ready rims and tires to get a tire set up tubeless without sealant.

Sorry to sound preachy Stuckie, but there's things you learn when you venture out of MTBR and swap tires a couple times a year on a half dozen wheelsets. No Creaky, I don't think he should jump off a bridge or eat a grenade for his ignorance.

^^^ Yep. I always test without sealant. If its a good fit then I remove the core and add sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Hookless carbon rims with low pressure could seep enough air to spoil a ride.
    Why I buy a set of rims that costs as much as the fatbike I just got, I'll keep this is mind.

Why I buy a set of rims that costs as much as the fatbike I just got, I'll keep this is mind.
    Carbon rims go hand in hand with fresh seat glue for bling factor.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Hey, the more you know!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Carbon rims go hand in hand with fresh seat glue for bling factor.
    Seat glue? I feel like I know nothing about bikes anymore!

Seat glue? I feel like I know nothing about bikes anymore!
    Another oddity from the Jersey Douche, he rants about people he hates that are "riding uphill with their asses glued in their seats".
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Another oddity from the Jersey Douche, he rants about people he hates that are "riding uphill with their asses glued in their seats".
    My bike pedals uphill better sitting. Why is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    My bike pedals uphill better sitting. Why is that bad?
    It's not. Nothing wrong w that. I hate getting out of the saddle to peddle especially on climbs. The only person that ever made it look efficient was lance - because he was doped to his douchy gills

Did it work?

Not without sealant. Was going to toss some in to make a final conclusion but then got on the hunt for studded tires for our shitty version of winter that we've been having. But it just snowed a useful for the first time in a while, so maybe I can actually use the stupid fat bike I bought instead...

Says the guy who can't get his tires to hold air. LOL
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Not without sealant. Was going to toss some in to make a final conclusion but then got on the hunt for studded tires for our shitty version of winter that we've been having. But it just snowed a useful for the first time in a while, so maybe I can actually use the stupid fat bike I bought instead...
    What size studded tires are you looking for?

Either 26" or 29" studded. Skinny, not fat/plus. But now that it snowed and is about to snow (a lot) again, studded tires hopefully won't be necessary for a while.

Winter seems to be giving up, so I threw 3 oz of sealant in the tire and aired it up. It still holds air worse than the other tire+wheel that does NOT have any sealant (save for whatever dried up sealant may have been helping to seal the tape/rim. The air is still leaking out primarily through where the valve stem comes through the rim (verified with soapy water). I did not submerge in water this time around to check the spoke holes or tire itsel, but there is not sealant coming out of the tire or any part of the rim and the tire had no leaks when I submerged and checked last time around, so again.... what am I missing?