Page 91 of 268 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Maybe I just ski with friendlier people and do a better job avoiding the pissed off bros... but what are the "locals" doing to create so much animosity for Ikon Pass holders? Peeing in their coffee? Slashing their tires? Calling them names?

Sleeping with their girlfriends, maybe?
    Just grumbling from the locals in front and behind in line. ‘Ikon pass ruined this place’.

Stickers up at the Tram in Jackson, etc

Etc.

I didn’t see it as threatening, more humorous. Became a running joke between my cousin and I. “Let’s wear our Ikon passes on our helmets!”
    “Let’s ask these locals if we can cut to the front of the line since we have Ikon passes”

I threatened to stand below the Jackson Tram deck and yell “Ikoners rule and locals drool”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    What is the percentage of western IKON pass holders coming east to cash in their days at Killington, the Bush, Loon, SR, the Loaf? What if next season the East goes the fuck off, and the West gets skunked, will y’all fly back and beater it up? Just curious.
    No. Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Seriously? No one wants to actually experience the east coast vibe? That’s insane, place has mad stoke. And we love to party. Come ski and then head down to Boston or NYC for some culture and all the whatnots.
    Go on now.
    Are you working for Greg now? Are you Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Can you say hot Italian Jersey babes?!?
    I remember a trip to NYC in the 80's and our host referred to them as "gum snapping hair piles". Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Maybe I just ski with friendlier people and do a better job avoiding the pissed off bros... but what are the "locals" doing to create so much animosity for Ikon Pass holders? Peeing in their coffee? Slashing their tires? Calling them names?

Sleeping with their girlfriends, maybe?
    Nah, the person I referenced is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, she always has a smile on her face. Kinnikinnick said it well, it's just little things here and there. Maybe it's just Jackson though. Even before IKON it's been a place where it's easy to catch a bit of local attitude.

No, really?

A-Basin on mountain collective next season is a real possibility

https://businessden.com/2019/04/11/a...AHtgU8hs7ptWLo

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Exactly. Crowd-wise Ikon is more of a raw deal for westerners at the resorts with good terrain with all of us easterners coming out (and with westerners traveling to sample the "best" places). Sorry, but if I can't beat 'em, I'll join 'em. I do promise not to stop in the hikes or traverses and certainly not sideslip or otherwise cunt up the skiable lines. Let's call it "Ikon respect locals".
    I got on a traverse on saturday - one I can easily take the entire way out without stopping.

I had to stop 4 times because the people in front of me kept just sorta.... stopping. The first time I asked them nicely to not stop in the traverse but by the end I was definitely just cursing under my breath. I've had so many people yell at me for "not watching out" and "skiing over their tips" on traverses this year and it's so fuckin frustrating. Would you stop dead on the freeway? Then move the fuck to the side before you stop, or at least check behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    A-Basin on mountain collective next season is a real possibility

https://businessden.com/2019/04/11/a...AHtgU8hs7ptWLo
    Unpossible! MC is dying a slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    I got on a traverse on saturday - one I can easily take the entire way out without stopping.

I had to stop 4 times because the people in front of me kept just sorta.... stopping. The first time I asked them nicely to not stop in the traverse but by the end I was definitely just cursing under my breath. I've had so many people yell at me for "not watching out" and "skiing over their tips" on traverses this year and it's so fuckin frustrating. Would you stop dead on the freeway? Then move the fuck to the side before you stop, or at least check behind you.
    People have been stopping on traverses forever, long before IKON. Rumor has it that the Vikings rescuing the young prince on skis were slowed down by gapers on snowshoes, but managed to save the baby. Why do you think they were carrying the axe?
    Name:  vikings.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  120.9 KB
    BTW mastering the step up and around someone stopped on a traverse without losing speed is an essential skiing skill. Dragging a pole tip across them is optional. If you need inspiration watch a Stanley Cup game.

This thread seems to have become a repository of everything people don't like about skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post

"bad place to stop" as i go by, usually accidentally tapping them with my trailing pole. Why is it not common instinct to get out of the path of travel when stopped? First thing i do when i blow up skiing or MTBing is instinctually gather my shit and crawl/roll off the main path or to a safe spot where i then collect my wits and do inventory on my body. My GF who has skied 20+ day/year since 3 years old still stops in bad places and gets pissed when i tell her to take a few sidesteps up off the traverse, or get out from under the roller/cliff if she wants to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This thread seems to have become a repository of everything people don't like about skiing.
    You mean snowboarders? Most of those fuckers can't traverse worth a damn and sideslip the shit out of the steep tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    You mean snowboarders? Most of those fuckers can't traverse worth a damn and sideslip the shit out of the steep tight lines.
    Snowboarders are pretty good at it but they don’t own it completely
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

IMO, snowboarders are more aware of getting out of the way when stopped on traverses than skiers. At least at Squaw / Alpine. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Why is it not common instinct to get out of the path of travel when stopped?
    They don't have the speed or skill to travel any further, they have run out of speed, and assume everyone has the same skill level as them and assume everyone else will also run out of speed in the same place. They are ofter surprised and confused to see someone pass them at that point with speed.

The irony here is I'm pretty sure boredtodeath is a snowboarder. And yeah, my snowboarder friends definitely aren't the ones clogging traverses 99% of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B4E8384-1487-440D-8A12-0E50501402CB.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	278641

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They don't have the speed or skill to travel any further, they have run out of speed, and assume everyone has the same skill level as them and assume everyone else will also run out of speed in the same place. They are ofter surprised and confused to see someone pass them at that point with speed.
    Pretty much it. Not many traverses in the east so many of the "one trip out west every few years folks" are not used to them. My first few times I was scared shitless, especially when there are those loopy bumps and people buzzing by. I don't think they assume everyone will run out of speed, more like self preservation. Speaking for a gaper friend here

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    My first few times I was scared shitless, especially when there are those loopy bumps and people buzzing by.
    You need to double some of those whoops, and suck some of them up. Just don't get them mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The irony here is I'm pretty sure boredtodeath is a snowboarder. And yeah, my snowboarder friends definitely aren't the ones clogging traverses 99% of the time.
    That's because you can't traverse a decent distance on a board.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

What's all this traverse talk? Fall line, you fuckin gapers!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Yes I am usually on a board, and I definitely don't have any trouble accessing knucklehead, high saddle, or any other snowbird front side stuff one bit because I'm not a dumbass and know how to hold my speed.

It's almost always middle aged skiers at the bird clogging the traverses, and I'm sure it's not just Ikonics. I can't step up and around them on the board, so I try to ollie around them but sometimes I just have to pull off and let the other skiers behind me pass and deal with the slowpokes up front. Often, I scope out the gates and wait until there has been a few minutes of nobody entering, specifically so I can actually make it where I am going. I promise you I ain't holding anybody up on traverses. I gtfo of the way if I need to stop.

It took my eastcoast friends a couple runs to get used to all the traversing in the wastach but they can handle it with ease now. I usually yell "bad place to stop" as I go past people, but oh man - one time on mid baldy there was a dude with his toddler daughter and they were just totally standing in the traverse before an uphill corner. I shouted to him "heads up, bad place to stop" and the guy fucking went off on me. THIS IS MY DAUGHTER HOW DARE YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH. He stood his ground on the traverse and I had to stop right next to him. I was like "hey man I am telling you for your own safety, she may well get run over if you're around this corner and stopped, keep your head on a swivel and please step off the traverse if you're gonna gape it up over here."