Page 16 of 268 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikon Pass

Park City is quickly becoming the Boulder I left. Directional Trails, No dog areas, people cutting in lift lines and in general acting like they are more important than the other 100 people around.

That said, their are a ton of lines you can hike and possibly be the only person to hit them in a winter, For every 30 year old sorority girl land rover driving mom judging everyone, there are still great friends and great people.

There are tons of places in the Uintas that we backpack and fish and rarely see another person. The schools remain a place where public schools are still a viable choice.

I wish Talisker and Vail hadn't happened, and outside of outrageous food prices, the mountain experience is still mostly positive for me and my kids. We bitch about the traffic, but it is nothing compared to the parking lot commutes to and from the mountains we experienced in Colorado 15 years ago. I think Ikon will be a positive here in town. It will allow us to hit the bird early and transition over when Deer Valley opens. It also might change the silver fox vibe at Deer Valley which for me would be a net positive.

Ultimately, when you chose a tourist / resort town, you have to live with the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Directional Trails.
    This is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ikon fucking RUINED the Mountain Collective!!!!!
    https://mountaincollective.com/

Or not.
    It's basically the Ikonic Collective

It speaks to the growth. They were never a thing until so many people were out that constant dismounts and possible collisions made them the alternative.

If you had to choose... Ikon, Mountain collective, Epic?

Ikon base pass now includes mammoth with black outs. Getting that now

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Skiing is kind of unavoidable since it's snow=go for everyone and a lean year makes it worse (though I will say, despite the drive up and parking being a junkshow, even on weekend powder days liftlines in BCC haven't been an issue this year IME). For MTB there's enough directional and/or obscure stuff to ride here that it largely compensates for the crowds. There's also no "powder panic" factor. Hiking though, really? I'm mean, yeah, stuff like Cecret Lake, Bells, White Pine, Lake Blanche, etc. are pretty ruined, especially on weekends, but there's still a multitude of cool places you can go and see no one or nearly no one. If you get off-trail it becomes rare to see anyone.
    Uintas.... #nuffsaid Hell even the swell down south there are tons of slots where you'll see no one. Skiing is limited by available resorts, hiking/camping/biking seems endless and easy to escape crowds in Oootah.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for the heads up on the Mammoth deal!

Ultimately, when you chose a tourist / resort town, you have to live with the tourists.
    My second year living in Tahoe I deeply hated the tourists. I was so hardcore then.

I'm a Mammoth weekender now. A couple of years ago I was on top of Hemlock. I had hiked up and was putting my skis on. A young kid was hiking past the summit while someone had stopped in the path to put his skis on. It was not really necessary to put the skis on right there, but not a big deal. The young local walked around the guy and yelled "go back to LA" as he kept going down the path. As the local passed me I told him not to worry, that I was going back to Orange County on Sunday. He had not been talking to me, but when I said that he said "why don't you stay there." I replied that I would be back probably the next weekend to contribute to the local economy which allowed him to have a (I'm assuming) service job. He flipped me off as he walked down the ridge. It really is funny being on the other side of things.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Imo, unless your family has been somewhere for at least three generations or you are an indigenous person, you don't get to claim local status. Moving to mammoth or Tahoe and then claiming you're a local is a kook move.

I see so many wealthy transplants move to California or Hawaii and then complain about visitors as if they weren't one a couple years ago.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Ikon Pass

^^ That sounds like a pretty hardcore Hawaii-ish interpretation. If you’re not local where you’re born then where are you from?

Anyway, in my town the “locals” have shot down a lot of shit over the past 15-40 years that would have ruined the place. Seems local enough to me in terms of protectionism.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I meant it more as people should have some sort of generational relationship to a place before claiming local status and complaining about others enjoying the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    I meant it more as people should have some sort of generational relationship to a place before claiming local status and complaining about others enjoying the area.
    “Local” is based on where you live, stop trying be an elitist dick. If I move somewhere I become a local of that general area, second homes can be debated. Now I’ll agree with you in regards to having the right to bitch about people moving/visiting there. Actually no one really has any place bitching about other Americans moving to your “local” area within America, it’s everyone’s freedom to live where ever they want within this great nation. I will however bitch about our policies in regards to properly preparing our infrastructure for the inevitable population growth and one day just might excersise my right to GTFO of here and move somewhere that the “locals” will bitch about me coming. And the world goes around and around.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    In bounds skiing at Wanker was surprisingly good yesterday afternoon. If you can't enjoy soft groomers, well shaped bumps, good wind grooming and minimal lift lines...your grumpy ass should quit skiing.

In other news, all the johnny come latelys #bitchingisthenewrad skiers would be doing themselves a favor if they realized in is not better than average all the time.

In other news, did you hear it has been windy?
    If you like bumps in the trees. I live here and I don't really want to move but Winter Park ain't what is used to be. They even have a blog now outing all the good tree lines. I try to keep a good attitude but between the questionable conditions, the parking scene and the front range cool guy choad factor, it has been a challenge this year.

Hopefully, spring will deliver with snow and a good vibe, the IKON will be net positive by letting me travel to ski, and my customers take my 10% price increase with a smile.

Thankfully, I don't have to deal with the "tourist economy" much and I have other passions to keep me busy. This place has changed. I used to love skiing at BP, work day powder mornings at the Jane, and fly fishing on the Fraser. For me, all those activities have reached a point where they are too busy for me to enjoy it. Life goes on...

I manage my expectations. I always go skiing with a good attitude. Alot of times, I don't go skiing.

Take tomorrow for example, If I left my house at 8am it would probably take me 30mins when it usually takes 15 to get to the Jane. Parking would be tight. it will be about 10 degrees out, it hasn't snowed in a week and the week has raked. I would have to stand in lift lines and listen do #coolguydenverskier bitch about conditions, lines, etc. It is not my scene so I won't go.

What I will probably do is bust out some office work and bid some jobs in the morning then head up to the ski area after lunch with my life. I might txt some patroller buddies and ski if I can get a sled ride out to the Cirque etc. or I will head over to the park side and ski Rettas, 'Rigger and Bash in the Sun. I will try and catch up with some friends, apres at Peps. I will finish up my day by talking my dog for a walk at sunset.

I promise I will have an awesome day. I have just had to change now I do things based on everyone else. I don't hold it against anyone for wanting to come enjoy what I enjoy. Get it?

<snip> apres at Peps.
    Mmm... nom nom nom!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ikon fucking RUINED the Mountain Collective!!!!!
    https://mountaincollective.com/

Or not.
    Not a bad road trip strategy ...

8 days - Alta/Bird/Jackson/Big Sky for $489 ain't too shabby. Add a 3rd day at on of these as well as purchase a few days at Targhee/Bridger.

... Thim
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    8 days - Alta/Bird/Jackson/Big Sky for $489 ain't too shabby. Add a 3rd day at on of these as well as purchase a few days at Targhee/Bridger.

Not a bad road trip strategy.

... Thim
    *$409 right now.

It also might change the silver fox vibe at Deer Valley which for me would be a net positive.
    It better or DV will go out of business. I skied Park City and DV earlier this week and was shocked by how much older the skiers were at DV than at Park City. In ten years they’ll all be dead.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

I manage my expectations. I always go skiing with a good attitude. Alot of times, I don't go skiing.

Take tomorrow for example, If I left my house at 8am it would probably take me 30mins when it usually takes 15 to get to the Jane. Parking would be tight. it will be about 10 degrees out, it hasn't snowed in a week and the week has raked. I would have to stand in lift lines and listen do #coolguydenverskier bitch about conditions, lines, etc. It is not my scene so I won't go.

What I will probably do is bust out some office work and bid some jobs in the morning then head up to the ski area after lunch with my life. I might txt some patroller buddies and ski if I can get a sled ride out to the Cirque etc. or I will head over to the park side and ski Rettas, 'Rigger and Bash in the Sun. I will try and catch up with some friends, apres at Peps. I will finish up my day by talking my dog for a walk at sunset.

I promise I will have an awesome day. I have just had to change now I do things based on everyone else. I don't hold it against anyone for wanting to come enjoy what I enjoy. Get it?
    Sweet blog.

Got this email yesterday, Vail’s final answer to the IKON or will more slowly roll out? I haven’t been to Japan so I’m not sure what terrain this one offers.

The Epic Pass and Epic Local Pass now include 5 consecutive days in Hakuba Valley, Japan, for the 2018/19 winter season with no restrictions!

Quote Originally Posted by ole2planker View Post
    It better or DV will go out of business. I skied Park City and DV earlier this week and was shocked by how much older the skiers were at DV than at Park City. In ten years they’ll all be dead.

No snowboarding. They're going to have to allow, if they want to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No snowboarding. They're going to have to allow, if they want to stay in business.
    Absolutely.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Alta isn't having any issues. DV is an "image" thing. It caters to the 1%er. Fancy food, kiss ass staff, and smooth groomers. Terrain is overall good they just need to shift marketing strategy to get some duct tapers skiing over there more often.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I manage my expectations. I always go skiing with a good attitude.
    lol