Page 163 of 268 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 6693

Thread: Ikon Pass

I wonder if Epic is offering credits on merchant passes? I only used mine 4 days (I have other passes), would be cool if my employer got some kind of credit for next season.

Anyway, how much this situation of Epic offering a much better credit an insurance deal than Alterra (so far) has to do with the fact that they are far more well established in the industry? Epic has been around longer, and I'm pretty sure that they actually own many of their resorts as opposed to just having partner deals with a bunch of resorts.

Not gonna do the math right now, but I wonder what that ratio of owned resorts to partner resorts has to do with the financial impact and flexibility of financial options has to do with these credits being offered. I have a feeling that MTN is financially on more stable ground than Alterra just from the fact that they have been around longer and are more entrenched in the industry, but that could be totally backwards.

Windham NY and Mt Bachelor OR added to Ikon pass.

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Windham NY and Mt Bachelor OR added to Ikon pass.
    Just saw the Mt. Bachelor addition. They had been one of the few holdouts. Makes Ikon more tempting for me.

Mountain Collective website is showing the MC is off sale right now. Interesting. https://mountaincollective.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I estimate that i lost about 33-50% of the net value of the pass.

I would have used at least 5-7 more days at Jackson/aspen/utah. X 4 of us. Plus probably another 10 days at Eldora/WP/Copper.

The thing that doesn’t sit quite right is the fact that Alterra would have had to pay Jackson etc if we had skied there, now they don’t.

So the net result is that ALTERRA keeps the $ and those ski areas dont get paid. Seems like Alterra is going to cash benefit from the situation while both me and the other mountains lost.

Either give that back to me, or at the least share it with the Mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    how many days did you ski? it doesn't matter how many additional days you might have skied if you managed to ski roughly 7+ days.

as you should already know, alterra didn't make money off this situation. at alterra-owned resorts, they lost real money on window ticket sales, advance-booking multi-day sales, F&B, retail, and some lodging. you bought a cheap pass with the tradeoff that you give them money in advance, and in return they give you a very low rate per day if you use it enough.

sorry for your perceived loss.

Yes, let's not forget that companies like Alterra and Vail lost millions in the sale of $25 hamburgers. Who knows, maybe these companies are just trying their best to stay in business
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Well, that seals it for me. Windham, ftw! Where's my checkbook?

Looks like the Gold Medallion is about $3,500 for next season. I used one many years ago. Was cool to have and I didn't have to pay to ski.

Have any of you read Ski Inc 2020? It's a book.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    how many days did you ski? it doesn't matter how many additional days you might have skied if you managed to ski roughly 7+ days.

as you should already know, alterra didn't make money off this situation. at alterra-owned resorts, they lost real money on window ticket sales, advance-booking multi-day sales, F&B, retail, and some lodging. you bought a cheap pass with the tradeoff that you give them money in advance, and in return they give you a very low rate per day if you use it enough.

sorry for your perceived loss.
    Wait, so when I as consumer made my calculations about whether to buy passes for the family based on how much and when I planned to use it, I shouldn’t have?

I should just take whatever I get?. You must work for Alterra.

Its not a season pass, its a lottery ticket. You might get 0 days and you might get 100, but not up to you, we’ll tell you if you got enough days. Any more than 5 is only 20% left?

You know what I WILL do :

I’ll buy the passes. And we will hammer the motherfuck out of it. Maximize their cost for not having a realistic % return policy. If it aint next year, then the following.

No beers or burgers at WP, Copper, or Eldora.

Mostly hit the non core Ikon resorts so Alterra has to pay as much as possible to the Jacksons, Big Skys, Aspens, Alta/S, Park City, California, etc.

Gotta get my $s pay back later since they were stingy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Ikon Pass

Most resorts were open for ~100+/- days this season.
    They spun the lifts and paid the employees and had facilities open whether people showed up or not. How were they supposed to know you had no intention of showing up till April?
    If you didn’t go thats on you.

Kind of amazing to me how many folks on this enthusiast ski forum talk a big game but don’t seem to actually ski.

I’ll buy the passes. And we will hammer the motherfuck out of it. Maximize their cost for not having a realistic % return policy. If it aint next year, then the following.

Mostly hit the non core Ikon resorts so Alterra has to pay as much as possible to the Jacksons, Big Skys, Aspens, Alta/S, Park City, California, etc.

Whatever motivates you to ski more I guess. Way to really stick it to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Whatever motivates you to ski more I guess. Way to really stick it to the man.
    Lulz

Pee in the parking lot as well to show 'em. More than usual, I mean.

So the net result is that ALTERRA keeps the $ and those ski areas dont get paid. Seems like Alterra is going to cash benefit from the situation while both me and the other mountains lost.

How do you know this? Are skier visits the basis of payment for the fringe resorts?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    They spun the lifts and paid the employees and had facilities open whether people showed up or not. How were they supposed to know you had no intention of showing up till April?

Kind of amazing to me how many folks on this enthusiast ski forum talk a big game but don’t seem to actually ski.
    I am on your side mostly and done caring about this argument but a lot of us have two passes since our home ski area isn't on a pass. The vast majority of my days every year are at an indy....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This.

I'm in this camp, but then again I got 13 of the 15 days in that I expected to use the base pass this year. If I hadn't gotten my moneys worth I think i would still be of the mindset that this pandemic is similar to a shitty ski season and you take a risk when you buy a pass like this. Not sure, but I think I would.

But the whole point of this kind of pass is to spread the risk over a ski season for conditions. It's rarely shitty everywhere. So, I jumped on a plane in early February and got some in Utah after waiting for it to snow in Vermont, which it didn't. Then it still didn't get better back east, so, I was planning on a nice nearly month trip in Northern NM and Co. right before shit shut down. Poof, gone.

Wait, so when I as consumer made my calculations about whether to buy passes for the family based on how much and when I planned to use it, I shouldn’t have?

Its not a season pass, its a lottery ticket. You might get 0 days and you might get 100, but not up to you, we’ll tell you if you got enough days. Any more than 5 is only 20% left?

You seem to think this was a voluntary action driven by greed.

God Damn !!!! 100% Spot fucking on. I couldn’t agree more.

Don't forget about people who ski or patrol all season at their small local area, and then after their home mountain closes use a pass like Ikon to ski somewhere else with a loooong Spring season like Mammoth.

F those guys, eh? No credit toward a pass next year?

You buy the pass, the money is spent. Ski as much or as little as you want, where you want. Alterra doesn't give a fuck. But if it makes you feel better to ski in the rain on the one open trail with a rock strewn ribbon of man made so that you maximize the value you get from your pass, knock yourself out.

Friends of ours paid a lot for a trip to Ecuador, decided to go despite the virus because the money wasn't refundable and they wanted to get their money's worth, were turned around at the airport in Guayaquil, and 6 weeks later they're still trying to get over the COVID-19. Sunk cost.

This "you guys aren't real skiers" shit is great.

Ikon Pass

Jesus H
    You lot are a bunch of dolts.

It wasnt their FAULT that shit got shut down. But it IS their call that you get 20% discount.

If they dont think that they owe me more for my 4ppl x 10-15 more days and I do then I’ll act accordingly in the future.

If the negotiated rate with those resorts was $50, thats 4x50x10= $2000 to pay out.

They save $2000 and I get a $400 discount.

Seems one sided to me.

Alterra pays the other resorts some per diem fee. Why do they keep that instead of Taos or Jackson or Aspen?

Why are you lot butt hurt about that? Work for Alterra?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.