Page 101 of 268 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6685

Thread: Ikon Pass

if you are really a skier over a life, at one point; owning or buying a season at mad river

seams mandatory.

it's just part of the deal.

life.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Vail, the name of the town, is a trademarked entity of MTN. Anytime someone names their company "vail ......." like "vail liquor store" they pay MTN for the right to use the name. Same with Breckenridge. And while Vail may not own the town of Vail, or Breck or Keystone, they run those places. The governments/forest service basically do whatever Vail wishes.

MTN is actively pushing the Park City ski teams off the slopes at PCMR and the Canyons in park city, utah (a town name they also unsuccessfully tried to trademark after moving to town). Probably one of the more successful race/freestyle programs in the nation. And they want the teams to train at Snowbasin or the Utah Olympic Park (which doesn't have a hill that could support GS, probably not even Salmon).

Vail cares about profits. They could give two fucks about skiing. I worked at Vail in the early 00s, and the employees/locals at that time knew Vail was just in it for the money. Nothing has changed, except they've put more of an emphasis on profits in recent years.

Offering a "cheap pass" is just their strategy for monopolizing the ski market. It has nothing to do with providing more access to skiing for the masses. And if the Epic local pass is the only thing available to midwest skiers they'll likely price out most skiers that frequent the 22 hills they just purchased.
    Sad to have the ski teams booted
    Last edited by Norseman; 08-06-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    if you are really a skier over a life, at one point; owning or buying a season at mad river

seams mandatory.

it's just part of the deal.

life.
    Vibes for anyone going through that.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Vibes for anyone going through that.
    hey thanks. sucks. really appreciate it.

I bet Vail sold them the land that those buildings are going up on. That sounds like a real estate transaction to me.

MTN just sold the biggest parking lots at the base of PCMR for development. Parking lots that fill up by 9 am on winter weekends and 10 am on summer weekends currently. My guess is they plan for the PC government to provide their parking lots (school lots and Park and rides) and probably an increased bus service to make up for lost parking at their ski area. They may not be the ones developing the land, but they owned it and sold it. And that's a real estate transaction.

Real Estate isn't necessary building and selling condos. Sometimes its just selling land for others to develop.
    Or leasing.

Not made up:

Breck trademark (remember Breck was a town before the ski area existed): https://trademarks.justia.com/763/94...-76394213.html

Vail abandoning it's attempt to trademark : "park city": http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/18...trademark/amp/

It should be pointed out MTN served cease and decease orders to PC companies.

Another article about Vail trademarks:
    http://mountaintownnews.net/2016/07/...-breckenridge/

And while this article may back your claims over some companies not paying naming rights, it definitely points that they are beginning to "tighten the noose"

An example of Vail trying to enforce it's trademark: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/vail...rademark-suit/

There's tons of articles and examples of this, just use google
    None of those links go to active pages. FYI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    And as far as I can tell the trademarks only cover a limited scope in naming, mostly involved with winter outdoor sports and ski school. There are a shitload of other Vail trademarks owned by companies other than MTN on the exact site you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    should be fixed and working now

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And as far as I can tell the trademarks only cover a limited scope in naming, mostly involved with winter outdoor sports and ski school. There are a shitload of other Vail trademarks owned by companies other than MTN on the exact site you listed.
    MTN has moved to enforce their trademark in the past, mostly unsuccessfully, but the point remains they have served cease and desist orders to local businesses in the ski towns they operate in. The main reason Vail didn't successfully register the "Park City" trademark was that they began serving cease and desist orders to businesses while still in the appeal period. It's not a very neighborly, community-first type of thing to do.

This is another example of Vail putting profit over everything.

I'm definitely not making this shit up.

A-basin is on the mountain collective...cool!

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/20...ollective.html

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    A-basin is on the mountain collective...cool!

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/20...ollective.html
    ABasin pass holders get 50% off at MC resorts + more perks coming later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    ABasin pass holders get 50% off at MC resorts + more perks coming later this week.
    Stoked! Nice little addition to the pass. Better than actually buying a MC. Had one a few years ago and only ended up using 3 days at Jackson because everywhere else sucked. Now I've invested $0 in it and can get a discount for pow days at those resorts. Pretty good deal for $349 all in.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    I predict either powder alliance or loveland/monarch/ski cooper exchange days

So Ikon + MC = less people overall vs Epic? Is Al smoking crack?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So Ikon + MC = less people overall vs Epic? Is Al smoking crack?
    Al doesn't own A-Basin.

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Al doesn't own A-Basin.
    I know but he stated the reason for not renewing with Epic were the crowds/parking situation. Now two other pass holders can access the Basin? How is the parking situation going to be better?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I know but he stated the reason for not renewing with Epic were the crowds/parking situation. Now two other pass holders can access the Basin? How is the parking situation going to be better?
    Because the Epic multitudes won't be there all year round?

Because they will all blow their 2-7 days over Xmas break and we will have the mountain to ourselves for the rest of the season.

Dont forget a day or two on Spring Break.

^^^ hope so

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Because they will all blow their 2-7 days over Xmas break and we will have the mountain to ourselves for the rest of the season.
    PM some Big Sky locals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

And theyll tell you to stay away from the gondola line if you hate crowds, but, go there for the experience and scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    PM some Big Sky locals?
    What is the best time of the season to plan on using my 5 days?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    What is the best time of the season to plan on using my 5 days?
    The first 5 of course. Tracked after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    The first 5 of course. Tracked after that.
    Is it rocky opening week?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime