Page 258 of 268 FirstFirst ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 ... LastLast
Results 6,426 to 6,450 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I had a 21/22. Did not get a renewal offer. Did they send you a link?
    I guess I should have read the print. I only glanced at the email, and shuffled it away, as I do with most of the promotional email I get. I guess reading is important. My English teacher wife always says something like that.

"Because you are a previous pass holder, save up to $50 off every Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass you purchase"

No link, and not the full renewal discount but I assume you would see it in your cart when you throw a pass in there.

As for quivers, I think I have something close to 10. My newest ski was bought used in 2020. Best way to build a quiver is buy someone else skis. Skiing is for sure expensive, but you can do it on a budget. We are not dentists, but still get in our time. I think the season pass is the hardest pill to swallow, because it is the biggest lump sum, especially for those with kids. We have one, still under 12, so not a huge dent. Yet. Just waiting till they start wanting new skis and new outwear. Hopefully I am training them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Fkna rights

That said…the taxi fare from JAC to town (not even the village) drives me nuts.
    Uber
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    You start working for the Man to score an employee pass
    This. I do this at my local area and then buy an iKon (or not)

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

((((((I skimmed back a bit but didn't see anything on this: I got an email on 3/1/23 from Ikon saying I was awarded a $150 credit for the Covid class action suit.

This is for the 19/20 season.
    Anyone else get this? )))))

edit: I skimmed further and found it...I only skied on mine one day that season so the full $150.
    Doubt highly that I'll be putting that into a new one.
    Unless I can use it when buying a full JHMR pass w/ikon, and even then, if the price is wack, nope.

Stoked that prices are going up, maybe weed out some shite skiers.
    Jh should divest itself from ikon asap. But they won't. The owners are finally cashing out and any means to another buck is the new model.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 03-15-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I skimmed back a bit but didn't see anything on this: I got an email on 3/1/23 from Ikon saying I was awarded a $150 credit for the Covid class action suit.

This is for the 19/20 season.
    Anyone else get this?
    Yup.
    But mine was only $20. Likely due to the odd deal I get through Crustal Founders club.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Stoked that prices are going up, maybe weed out some shite skiers.
    I don't really get this sentiment. I get why you want less skiers on your home mountain, but do you really think that $100 makes the slightest difference to those who can afford flight + lodging + (likely pricey) meals in Jackson?

(Don't mean to single you out - this sentiment's come up a bunch in this thread and others.)

Maybe! Hopefully!
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post
    I don't really get this sentiment. I get why you want less skiers on your home mountain, but do you really think that $100 makes the slightest difference to those who can afford flight + lodging + (likely pricey) meals in Jackson?
    At some point it will. Got to find that WTP to eliminate that pesky consumer surplus. Remember, this isn't about skiing, it's all about maximizing profits and shareholder returns.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post

(Don't mean to single you out - this sentiment's come up a bunch in this thread and others.)
    People buy flights that are $4 cheaper even if they take an hour longer or are on Southwest. There are people who will get sticker shock at the pass, buy the base version, and then skip a trip to JH. It's not logical, but it's a common behavior.

update - group pricing will be about $10 more than renewals. So less than a burger at mid mountain. Through May 10th. renewals and online pricing slated to increase in April. TBD. Opens soon. You can send me a PM when you want. Response time will be slow as I'm traveling to AUS and need to figure out WiFi. Back in SG next Sunday, and will be 100% online. I'll have some gaps in connections in June and early July, but that is usually slow season.

How does it work for renewal + group ?

The idea that I want less skiers on slope is obvious.
    I think we would all prefer a less busy ski area.

I'm gonna say that in my experience at JH, we were waaaay behind most major resorts when it came to finally maxxing out the area capacity.

We had elbow room to spare here 10 years ago.

What with some lucky marketing and bullshit hype it went off the rails a few years before C-19 hit. That then skewed it into another level of shitshow.

My problem with the ikon at JH is twofold: first is that in real time, it has not only filled in all of the down time gaps, but most noticeably it's a low level skier.
    That's my beef.
    JH used to be a bastion of expertness and proudly so. Ikon injects a caliber of skier that rarely ventured to JH in the past.
    If the majority of ikonicals were good skiers, it'd be way more bearable.
    They generally are not.
    Secondly, JH has no need to kill the expert goose by dumbing down the mountain for clucks.
    If they would re engineer the mountain for better skiers, they could fill every bed with skiers looking forward to a big mountain ski day around other solid skiers.

I have many days with Ikonic Mags and would give none of them away. Most of those cats are advanced to beginning experts. Always welcome.

In my perfect world, you'd have to take a skills test before you can get on any chair.
    I've seen so many clowns in tramline this week, it's fucking painful to watch.
    Music and weed, it's what I got.

^^Good vent!! I hear they lay down in the middle of the trail too!
    Decisions Decisions

It's all I can do to contain sometimes. Other times it's pretty goddamn funny, so there's that.
    You know how crabby and uncouth I can get. I don't like that.

I wanna be Irie and mellooooooow.

I don't think DJ is at all wrong here. As someone who went to Jackson a bunch pre Ikon , then went back for the first time this year as an Ikon beater myself, and from talking to randoms here back east, Ikon definitely helped put JH "on the map" for the more casual skiier. Prior to Ikon, JH had this mythical rep among eastern mainstream skiers as this super difficult place that didn't have enough terrain for the typical low to mid level weekend warrior. Once these people got an Ikon pass to go to Stratton, etc, they decided to take a trip to Jackson, LCC, etc because hey,why not it's paid for. Once there they realized that Jackson is a damn cool place ,and told their friends and now more than ever it's a destination resort for everyone.

Having said this, the growth of high end lodging in the village way predates Ikon, and that , along with the marketing campaigns targeting wealthy gapers, has probably led to the changes DJ talks about as much as Ikon did. But what Ikon did is make it easy for a bunch of pass holders from CA, CO , and back east to sample the wares at these formerly less touristy mountains , and spread the word.

Yup, DJ is right on the money, as usual. I watched it happen in LCC too, locals and tourists alike that would never consider having an Alta or Bird pass on its own suddenly have 5/7 days to "check it off the list." I'm watching it happen in CB now too with Vail.

I do my best to just laugh at the free entertainment.

It's all I can do to contain sometimes. Other times it's pretty goddamn funny, so there's that.
    You know how crabby and uncouth I can get. I don't like that.

I wanna be Irie and mellooooooow.
    It was a pretty reserved vent. Pretty fuckin mellow. Very cooth.
    Decisions Decisions

Thanks my friends.
    My conundrum is that altho the Ikon is a pita for me at my hill, I fully recognize both the newfound access to skiing for so many people, and that it has also become a business creating boon to many areas that otherwise might not survive the near future.
    I want skiing to live longer than the good old days at the village.

But I also feel that the village should remain a stand-alone representation of what's best in a NorAm ski area.

Great points made. Fair enough.

Its the same with Epic. Been skiing at KW since about 2000. I used to be the shittiest skier on the mountain. Now I'm one fo the best. Scarry thing is, my skiing has gone mostly downhill in the past two decades. Hyperbole for sure, but not totally so. My wife learned to ski at KW around 2000, and always thought of herself as a beater. So, one day, I took her over to Heavenly, and she was finally, "I guess I don't suck at this." The multi mountain passes for sure get people where they would otherwise not have previously ventured.

A slightly different take. I have some friends from Santa Cruz. Dad is a decent enough snowboard, but Mom and the two girls juts picked up skiing a few years back. They started at Northstar, when're they had an Epic Pass. After 4 years or so, they decided to visit us over at KW and check it out. I know the mountain well enough to tour an intermediate around and have a good time. They totally fell in love with the terrain, and big mountain feel and views and loved watching others ripping it up like they never see at N*. A few years later, they never go back to N* and spend their time at KW. Not total beaters, and I was able to give them some smart mountain sense, so they are not sitting under rollovers eating their lunch.

Jackson is gorgeous, even if you suck at skiing. I don't mind smart intermediates who know where they should be, avoid standing in LZ and basically get it and are working their way up. It is the asshats that suck.

Duffman. Send me a PM before you renew. You would share a little information about yourself, I'd put you on the list, you would renew and if enough people do the same, someone else here gets hooked up and gets to ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	452065

Name:	IMG_0939.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	452066

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

PSA you have 3 weeks to use your Taos days. Ran into an employee who said they are bot planning on extending.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	452065

Name:	IMG_0939.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	452066

I think these charts support my concern. The suits have effectively created a scenario where you must buy one of the multi-resort passes if you plan to participate - even if you focus on a primary hill. And now that they’ve created the scenario - prices are going nowhere but up and I suspect quickly once the dust settles…

I live 3 miles from LCC. Have skied Alta or Bird for more than 30 years. I buy a season pass to one or both, but STILL have to buy an Ikon to make skiing DV, Solitude or Brighton “reasonable”. I’m in for the same relative amount today as I previously was for an Alta or Bird so it has held steady, but for how much longer?

They’ve all jacked the daily fee to ridiculous one-time levels forcing you to “buy a package” and commit to their stable of resorts. There’s really no option to play the field like it used to be. Walk up rate for my daughter to join me at DV last weekend was $330 ($230 with Ikon discount!).

I think this will ultimately discourage new skiers/sliders from joining the ranks which is going to reduce demand and ultimately require prices to increase to maintain the margins for the suits. I really feel like we’re watching a train wreck in slow motion. The raiders are raiding and the industry is being gutted.

A thread drift: LCC does not need a gondola - it is the ONLY thing keeping the lift lines in LCC from being like PC/DV, or Vail. Ikon has impacted LCC without a doubt (JH effect - more gapers) but limited parking (both free and paid) in the canyon is the only thing keeping this crowd in check. If this constriction were lifted and there were essentially no barriers to the qty of “unqualified/it’s paid for crowd” who could get up LCC, well, it would definitely make sitting on the plaza and watching the carnage “fun”…

Quote Originally Posted by ski_the_fraulein View Post
    I think these charts support my concern. The suits have effectively created a scenario where you must buy one of the multi-resort passes if you plan to participate - even if you focus on a primary hill. And now that they’ve created the scenario - prices are going nowhere but up and I suspect quickly once the dust settles…

I live 3 miles from LCC. Have skied Alta or Bird for more than 30 years. I buy a season pass to one or both, but STILL have to buy an Ikon to make skiing DV, Solitude or Brighton “reasonable”. I’m in for the same relative amount today as I previously was for an Alta or Bird so it has held steady, but for how much longer?

They’ve all jacked the daily fee to ridiculous one-time levels forcing you to “buy a package” and commit to their stable of resorts. There’s really no option to play the field like it used to be. Walk up rate for my daughter to join me at DV last weekend was $330 ($230 with Ikon discount!).

I think this will ultimately discourage new skiers/sliders from joining the ranks which is going to reduce demand and ultimately require prices to increase to maintain the margins for the suits. I really feel like we’re watching a train wreck in slow motion. The raiders are raiding and the industry is being gutted.

A thread drift: LCC does not need a gondola - it is the ONLY thing keeping the lift lines in LCC from being like PC/DV, or Vail. Ikon has impacted LCC without a doubt (JH effect - more gapers) but limited parking (both free and paid) in the canyon is the only thing keeping this crowd in check. If this constriction were lifted and there were essentially no barriers to the qty of “unqualified/it’s paid for crowd” who could get up LCC, well, it would definitely make sitting on the plaza and watching the carnage “fun”…

Yep. It's effectively a duopoly. Eventually they will have captured enough and stop battling each other for market share, at which point they ,like most mature businesses in this situation would do, start playing nice in the sandbox and screw us all over now that they have gotten everyone used to the lock in of cheap multi mountain passes purchased pre season , and unobtanium priced day tickets.

As long as the passes can raise prices without losing overall revenue they will.