Page 220 of 266 FirstFirst ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    So do any of you Ikon pass holders think the new Big Sky tram policy will prevent you from planning a trip there?
    I think I would still visit Big Sky at least one more trip and be content with the rest of the mountain. I think a combination of Powder Seeker, Challenger, and Headwaters along bits of Andesite would keep me happy.

That being said, the announcement is still a bit disappointing since the Tram was on my bucketlist. For me, Big Sky is kind of a treat for me: it's harder to get to and more expensive than the other places that I go to. Without the allure of the Tram, there will be a point where it just makes sense for me to travel elsewhere to ski. And, the cost of the Tram would be part of the equation for me. Big Sky's FAQ says it costs $20-80 per day for Tram access (depending on the time of the season). I could imagine spending $20 for the experience, but I don't think I'd fork out that much more for access.

So do any of you Ikon pass holders think the new Big Sky tram policy will prevent you from planning a trip there?
    Yes. That's bullshit to change after you purchase a pass.
    It might make me go somewhere else instead.
    I would like to know if there is an upcharge for tram access each day for ikon? I would pay extra and I think that would keep some skiers away so less lines.
    I know some season passes allowed a limited number of tram days.
    This season tram line was long because covid capacity and skiers not getting pass holder reservations at bridger.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

“At our core, we believe the guest experience takes priority, and we will not sacrifice that value and become just another high-volume ski resort.”

Pretty easy... aggressively cap ticket and pass sales...

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Yes. That's bullshit to change after you purchase a pass.
    It might make me go somewhere else instead.
    I would like to know if there is an upcharge for tram access each day for ikon? I would pay extra and I think that would keep some skiers away so less lines.
    I know some season passes allowed a limited number of tram days.
    This season tram line was long because covid capacity and skiers not getting pass holder reservations at bridger.
    Honestly I like bridger better anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Why ski a ikon crowded resort of I can’t ski the one lift I want to ski there.

Also won’t go and buy a day ticket like I would have considered before ikon

The combo of ikon pass but not tram access makes big sky a no go until they decide what they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yes.

Why ski a ikon crowded resort of I can’t ski the one lift I want to ski there.

Also won’t go and buy a day ticket like I would have considered before ikon

The combo of ikon pass but not tram access makes big sky a no go until they decide what they want to do.
    The system works!!!

But, will you do fewer tram runs because of the cost? Will the charge help decrease the line for real?

I guess my point is if it doesn't do anything substantial to solve the line problem, and I thrown down 2k for a full pass with full tram access, that will kind of suck. I did more than 100 tram laps this year, I sure ain't going to pay per ride. But frankly, the tram terrain and the Headwaters terrain are really the only things that make Big Sky worth the expense and hassle to me. Nothing against the rest of the mountain, I enjoy it, but it sure isn't worth the drive from Helena and everything else you have to put up with to ski that place.

Plenty of rich people at Big Sky and it's only getting worse, I doubt most people will bat an eye at having their credit card charged whenever they go through the tram gate. Basically it's a big fuck-you to people of lesser means, which in my mind includes Ikon passholders, MC, and locals.
    Wow. For one thing, you must spend a shitload of time standing in line if you did a hundred laps. A lot of them had to be on powder days, right? So you stood there while the rest of the mountain got cut up?
    And, second, you are, presumably, an upper middle class white dude who can afford the life of basically living and skiing at Big Sky, but you cry poverty at a tram pass. Let me try to find that tiny violin...

I don't live there. Didn't I mention I live in Helena and have to travel there? Not bitching about the pass price UNLESS it doesn't help the situation. If it helps, it is worth it.

Yep I waited plenty. I also know when the line will be shorter due to conditions, time of day, day of week. etc., and I take advantage of those lulls. If I can do five or six tram laps in a day, I'm good. Don't need to ski the lower mountain stuff for the zillionth time. BTW wasn't too long ago pre-Ikon you could easily do 10-12 trams on a weekday.

Got an email today from Ikon saying that I had until April 11 to claim
    a credit from an unused 20/21 Ikon pass towards the purchase of a 21/22
    pass.
    I logged into my account, but there was no 'assurance' banner to click on
    to claim a credit.
    I had purchased an Ikon base pass through the purchase of a JHMR Rendezvous
    Peak Pass which was $300 more then the just JHMR season pass. A slight discount.
    I have spent some time already this morning trying to contact a live person
    at Ikon to discuss whether I can recieve a deferred credit towards a 21/22 IKon
    pass to no avail.

Is anybody else in this situation? Have any insight into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Got an email today from Ikon saying that I had until April 11 to claim
    a credit from an unused 20/21 Ikon pass towards the purchase of a 21/22
    pass.
    I logged into my account, but there was no 'assurance' banner to click on
    to claim a credit.
    I had purchased an Ikon base pass through the purchase of a JHMR Rendezvous
    Peak Pass which was $300 more then the just JHMR season pass. A slight discount.
    I have spent some time already this morning trying to contact a live person
    at Ikon to discuss whether I can recieve a deferred credit towards a 21/22 IKon
    pass to no avail.

Is anybody else in this situation? Have any insight into this?
    Have you added the pass you want and gone through checkout? The discount for renewal doesn't show up until the last page of checkout so maybe this is the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Have you added the pass you want and gone through checkout? The discount for renewal doesn't show up until the last page of checkout so maybe this is the same story.
    Not a 'renewal' but a credit from an unused 20/21 base pass obtained at a discount when purchasing a Jackson season pass.
    I am guessing because it was obtained at a discounted price I am not eligible
    for any credit.

The bitch is about not being able to actually talk to a live person and get a straight answer other then a canned response I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Not a 'renewal' but a credit from an unused 20/21 base pass obtained at a discount when purchasing a Jackson season pass.
    I am guessing because it was obtained at a discounted price I am not eligible
    for any credit.

The bitch is about not being able to actually talk to a live person and get a straight answer other then a canned response I guess.
    I had luck over email. Took a day or two but they got back to me with a solution to my issue.

I don't live there. Didn't I mention I live in Helena and have to travel there? Not bitching about the pass price UNLESS it doesn't help the situation. If it helps, it is worth it.

Yep I waited plenty. I also know when the line will be shorter due to conditions, time of day, day of week. etc., and I take advantage of those lulls. If I can do five or six tram laps in a day, I'm good. Don't need to ski the lower mountain stuff for the zillionth time. BTW wasn't too long ago pre-Ikon you could easily do 10-12 trams on a weekday.
    Please don’t respond to the Bunny. He is just an angry ignorant man.

Again, would come and visit if they get rid of Ikon and go to pre ikon crowds which are way more valuable.

I'll still go. (I also have family and friends in bozeman so it's an easy trip) I've only skied big sky twice and only rode the tram once because the line was so long and was pretty entertained with the terrain off the chairlifts. Plus it's still on the base pass.

I'd probably be more likely to buy a tram pass during a big sky visit now considering 1.) I purchased my ikon pass months in advance 2.) If there is a short line.

We'll see how the new policy affects the tram line, but I bet most ikon tourists don't bat an eye at a one time added fee to ride one of the coolest ski lifts in north america.

The terrain off that Tram is pretty good for lift served big mountain and fairly steep moguls. It was a long wait in some cold ass weather tho. I mostly don't mind the cold, but my boots are too tight for that wait.

I like other parts of Big Sky enough to go for sure, the whole mountain is great. I like Jackson and Mammoth better though.

Never been to the Big. Always wanted to go. Team always seems like the goal there. But I’ll keep skiing Mammoth and sliding right onto lifts mid week all over the hill. Maybe wait 5 minutes for a gondola cabin. Fuck lines.

How's Mammoth terrain compared to Jackson/Squaw? My uninformed perception of Vail and Mammoth is that they're big mountains with lots of terrain but not much interesting terrain.. and that Jackson and Squaw are smaller, but have more cool shit. I've only been to Jackson, was good. But not Whistler/Blackcomb good. In and out of bounds. Big Sky looks awesome though, but is it a sharkfest most of the season?

It can be sharky early season but once it fills in it's not bad at all. Can't blame people for not wanting to wait for the tram when most of the lifts are ski on and the Headwaters hike is not difficult. Like most of you I'm happy skiing just about anything and like you I've skied all over the West. Nothing quite like skiing down the flanks of Lone Peak for me though. Wind buffs it smooth and the pitch is great. Get that tram line back down to 30 minutes or less and I'll be a happy dude next season.

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    How's Mammoth terrain compared to Jackson/Squaw? My uninformed perception of Vail and Mammoth is that they're big mountains with lots of terrain but not much interesting terrain.. and that Jackson and Squaw are smaller, but have more cool shit. I've only been to Jackson, was good. But not Whistler/Blackcomb good. In and out of bounds. Big Sky looks awesome though, but is it a sharkfest most of the season?
    Squaw is great when the snow is good. With its low elevation it can often be a thin or spring pack. Loads of gnar all over the place. Shorter runs except KT which is pretty much all below 8k. Outside the steeps, it is a pretty meh mountain. So not a whole lot of variety if the snow is poor. When it is on tho one of the most fun places to ski.

Mammoth has a base of 8k and holds winter snow much longer. Much less super gnar and not a bunch of diving boards like Squaw. Still, plenty of steeps off the top and Lincoln. Much more variety of terrain but lower mountain not all that steep. Lots of mini golf all over the place tho, so it does not get boring.

For me, gnar is great when the snow is great. If it is bullet proof, then I want a bunch of sunny low angle groomers to chill on. Mammoth can be fun regardless of snow quality. I don’t really like Squaw when the snow is poor.

Plenty of N facing at both. And plenty of other aspects as well.

Never been to Vail, but have the impression it is more like Northstar than Mammoth in pitch.

Jackson is better than both. Until the spring sun hits there. But when it is full on winter you have plenty of options. And you have a bunch of long runs.

I typically ski at KW which is a small hill with a decent amount of pitch and hits, north facing, high base and short vertical. Tends to hold much better snow than Squaw and less wind effected than Mammoth. And there are options when the snow is poor. But it sucks. Almost all the lifts are fixed grip. Don’t go there.

Big Sky has a much more impressive top than Mammoth, but they both have a more gnar top and mellower bottom. If I’m not going to ski off the top at Big Sky, I don’t see the appeal of traveling there and then waiting in long lines. If the lines were not a issue mid week, it would be much more appealing

I skied Jackson pre Ikon and don’t recall ever waiting more than a minute or two as a single. That is the experience I want if paying for day tickets. Even if I have an ikon pass. Don’t want to vacation somewhere and be waiting 5-10 minutes to get on a lift.

EDIT: not headed to W/B anytime soon but that place is perfect for a ski trip. Good place to ski on those hills regardless of conditions. Obviously it is best when the alpine is wintery, but you can typically find good snow somewhere on those two hills every day.

<snip> Don’t want to vacation somewhere and be waiting 5-10 minutes to get on a lift.
    You *are* a spoiled bastid! NTTAWWT.

I've only skied Big Sky once and waited in plenty of tram lines. The terrain off the peak is worth it, especially Big Couloir which should be a bucket list run for every advanced skier (advanced with good snow only, potential slide for life if firm). I could see the tram line getting very annoying if BS was my home mountain though.
    Like almost every place I've ever skied it's a great mountain when the snow is good and meh when it isn't.

Big Sky has a much more impressive top than Mammoth, but they both have a more gnar top and mellower bottom. If I’m not going to ski off the top at Big Sky, I don’t see the appeal of traveling there and then waiting in long lines. If the lines were not a issue mid week, it would be much more appealing .
    I don't know if you're into hiking for turns after you've already bought a ticket, but the Headwaters chutes at Big Sky (foreground in this Ryan Turner photo) are always an option if you don't like the tram line. More than a few mags in the Montana thread make their living out there and rarely if ever ski the tram. As far as how much vert you're going to get hiking the HW all day vs. waiting in the tram line, personally I'd say it's a wash. Just depends on whether you'd rather be hiking or standing in line chatting with strangers.

Name:  hw.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  107.4 KB

sup w the loan bs im getting, clever or not, the game is a foot!
    Last edited by byates1; 04-09-2021 at 08:49 PM.

I don't know if you're into hiking for turns after you've already bought a ticket, but the Headwaters chutes at Big Sky (foreground in this Ryan Turner photo) are always an option if you don't like the tram line. More than a few mags in the Montana thread make their living out there and rarely if ever ski the tram. As far as how much vert you're going to get hiking the HW all day vs. waiting in the tram line, personally I'd say it's a wash. Just depends on whether you'd rather be hiking or standing in line chatting with strangers.

Name:  hw.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  107.4 KB
    I’d be happy hiking more than standing. Until I get tired. Then maybe I’d stand and wait.

Truth be told, I’d maybe still visit with an Ikon pass with the family. There looks to be a ton of fun even with just chairs. But w/o the tram even once, it is less appealing. If they had limited to one team per day that would have been cool. Just enough. I can tell you my son would be pissed he could not get to the peak of such an iconic spot.

And OG, the Big is super aesthetic.

I did see the video posted (in this thread?) of a side down it. Radical.

clowns. in the lost rivers now. same.