Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I was gonna buy an Abasin Pass and an Epic Local

Now I don't know what to do
    Sounds like EpiKonic is your dual pass life

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Wrogo bucko.

My phone is blowing up with Front Rangers stoked on this. Limited days (more than most Frangers ski at one place), with Elvira, Copper and WP. ABasin will be fucked with “locals” from Denver.
    Precisely......your average Franger only skis like 12 days anyways. ABasin will be a shitshow on the weekends again.

This shit sandwich tastes terrible!
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Sorry boys, but I'm stoked.
    Same, and timing of the news is a nice surprise as I picked up my pass two days ago.
    I've been missing A-Basin.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Exactly.

And I do think Benny is right, 5/7 days won't bring the same crowds as full Epic. But it will bring crowds, sure.
    based on what i saw at big sky, more effect/affect than you might think...
    along with some local pushback...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iconned2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	289965
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Curious to see what (if any) access Abasin passholders will get to Ikon resorts. We all knew Abasin was going Ikon months ago after Al alluded to it. What we didn’t know was if there would be some type of reciprocal access. 2-3 days to at least the Alterra owned resorts for dealing with the Ikonic shitshow would be nice.

I don't think we can draw inferences about what will happen at ABasin from what was seen at Jackson and Big Sky. Those resorts saw Ikoners from all over the country make a trek there for a ski vacation, one they might not have made otherwise. ABasin's crowds will be driven entirely by front range pass holders.

The question for ABasin is how many Epic holders there were vs how many Ikon holders, and how will Ikon usage compare to Epic. 5/7 days may mean the usage is exactly the same, or there may have been a significant number of Epic passes that visited a lot more. None of us has access to the data necessary to decide this before the season.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Don't see how this is such a surprise to everyone, I called it months ago . Basin still won't be nearly the shitshow as it was on Epic. Keystone down the street isn't on the same pass anymore. 5-7 days? Most people will use maybe 2.
    How many Ikons will sell vs Epic? Epic is still the bigger seller, state and country wide. Nobody travels to CO to ski Abasin. They'll stay at Copper or WP and maybe venture over to the Basin once. The place is too cold and steep for most tourists.

I bought my Basin pass months ago and don't feel screwed one bit. 90% of my skiing is in/around that ski area. People who only ski there 5-7 days stick to Lenawee and Zuma anyway.

This is totally a win from my perspective, hopefully Abasin pass holders get some perks but even if not, the place will be far less crowded.

I don't think there will be any measurable improvement from the crowds seen with the epic pass.

At least A-Basin is getting a better deal. I was really hoping for a partnership with MC instead.

Jordan

This is good news for me.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I agree that most Epic Pass holders didn't ski more than 5-7 days at Abasin, so any reduction to skier visits and thus reduction of parking/crowd issues will likely be negligible.

Also, remember that there will also be plenty of people that still buy Epic Local AND Abasin's pass - so you're likely to see a very similar environment as last year.

I just don't see how this was a winning proposition for Abasin. Had they stayed independent, they likely would have sold many more of their full price season passes. Now people like me don't want the Ikonic mess and won't be buying a pass - and many others will be opting for Ikon instead to access the Ikon benefits and 7 days at Abasin. I just don't see whatever revenue they will be getting from Ikon being able to offset the loss of all of the full price pass purchases they'll be losing.
    go upside down.

A-basin. Boom!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Don't see how this is such a surprise to everyone, I called it months ago . Basin still won't be nearly the shitshow as it was on Epic. Keystone down the street isn't on the same pass anymore. 5-7 days? Most people will use maybe 2.
    How many Ikons will sell vs Epic? Epic is still the bigger seller, state and country wide. Nobody travels to CO to ski Abasin. They'll stay at Copper or WP and maybe venture over to the Basin once. The place is too cold and steep for most tourists.

I bought my Basin pass months ago and don't feel screwed one bit. 90% of my skiing is in/around that ski area. People who only ski there 5-7 days stick to Lenawee and Zuma anyway.

This is totally a win from my perspective, hopefully Abasin pass holders get some perks but even if not, the place will be far less crowded.
    I will travel to Colorado to ski Abasin. And Copper. Maybe get a Loveland 4 pack and I'm set. Fuck the rest of the place. April, here I come!

The writing was on the wall all last spring. Damn it, was hoping to not have the Ikonic crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I just don't see how this was a winning proposition for Abasin. Had they stayed independent, they likely would have sold many more of their full price season passes. Now people like me don't want the Ikonic mess and won't be buying a pass - and many others will be opting for Ikon instead to access the Ikon benefits and 7 days at Abasin. I just don't see whatever revenue they will be getting from Ikon being able to offset the loss of all of the full price pass purchases they'll be losing.
    Similar things going down here in Utah. So many people that used to be Alta and/or Bird passholders jumping ship to Ikon, meanwhile no incentive is given to stay a passholder at either resort, no reciprocal Ikon benefits at all. I wonder how much Snowbird's revenue from pass sales has dropped vs 2017? Although population growth is probably offsetting this somewhat?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Similar things going down here in Utah. So many people that used to be Alta and/or Bird passholders jumping ship to Ikon, meanwhile no incentive is given to stay a passholder at either resort, no reciprocal Ikon benefits at all. I wonder how much Snowbird's revenue from pass sales has dropped vs 2017? Although population growth is probably offsetting this somewhat?

I'm surprised you think so. Ikon only gives you a few days at Alta or Bird, I'm surprised locals would find that to be enough days. OTOH, the pass prices at those mountains are astronomical, so I can see it for someone that isn't a dedicated skier.

I'm personally really stoked about A Basin being added. I was considering buying a midweek pass or maybe full season A Basin pass on top of my Ikon. I don't love WP and I don't want to have to drive to Copper every time I want to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I'm surprised you think so. Ikon only gives you a few days at Alta or Bird, I'm surprised locals would find that to be enough days. OTOH, the pass prices at those mountains are astronomical, so I can see it for someone that isn't a dedicated skier.
    It gives unlimited days at Solitude one canyon over. Ask former Solitude skiers how they feel about it.

I could easily ski in Utah for a few weeks and more with Ikon. Brighton is fun.

If they are all getting $50/day/Ikon visit, their revenue may be just fine, even if season pass sales dipped.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If they are all getting $50/day/Ikon visit, their revenue may be just fine, even if season pass sales dipped.
    If it is really $50/visit, this was no brainer for Abasin. Even their conservative model runs would have been $$.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It gives unlimited days at Solitude one canyon over. Ask former Solitude skiers how they feel about it.

the world is overpopulated. It's not getting better. The US loves capitalism, and the goal of capitalism is to make money. Capitalism + increased population = no more quiet, people free experiences anywhere. It's not going to stop in our lifetime. You can get mad at IKON or whine about weekend warriors ruining your favorite spots, or you can get over it and go skiing. The same thing is happening everywhere.

really wish they had tested the idea that a popular resort with a unique value proposition can still stand on its own and make a solid profit without a mega pass.

very much doubt IKON keeps paying $50+ per skier day to independent resorts after the original contracts are up, but I suspect they'll pay out the ass this year to A-Basin. good coup for IKON to snag any remaining undecided front rangers who need a season pass, and to give an incentive to buy an ikon after they just raised the price yesterday

E.T.A. whoops they didn't raise price. fuck. why not?
    Last edited by LesterSmoove; 08-02-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Well yeah but 7 days at DV, 7 days at Brighton, and unlimited at Solitude. All for the same price as an Alta or Bird only pass. 7 days is NOT enough LCC for me, which is why I'm staying at the Bird (this year at least). But for the average skier with average ability the Ikon pass is a way sweeter deal even if you don't leave Utah all season. The average "skier" in SLC doesn't lap the tram 3-4 days a week when its hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

Maybe too cold but steep plays little part in it. If you look back at posts from last winter you will find all kinds of stories from Alta about IKON pass holders getting in way over their head. My favorite was a guy at the top of Alta’s Collins lift asking me “is this is the easy way down?”. Unfortunately he was 100 yards from the top so there was only one way down. Or how about people reading trail maps while on the high T, or stopping and asking directions on the High T, we saw it all.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    really wish they had tested the idea that a popular resort with a unique value proposition can still stand on its own and make a solid profit without a mega pass.

very much doubt IKON keeps paying $50+ per skier day to independent resorts after the original contracts are up, but I suspect they'll pay out the ass this year to A-Basin. good coup for IKON to snag any remaining undecided front rangers who need a season pass, and to give an incentive to buy an ikon after they just raised the price yesterday
    Price is the same as it has been since April. No increase. The group purchase option is gone, but price remains $749 and $1049. I doubt most pass purchasers were access a group purchase.