Page 13 of 268 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikon Pass

The 2nd home aspect is huge and much bigger than short term rentals. My neighborhood has gone from 70-80% full timers to 20-30% over the course of 20 years or so. Lots of people decided to cash in on their rising equity and a lot of people were buying second homes cause. Some are even renters in SF but couldn't afford a house here and decided to buy something up there instead

Have you guys ever heard about the Ikon pass? I feel like there was a thread about it somewhere...

Your're killing me J. Yeah, I remember when Squaw passes were pricey. And lift tickets were relatively cheap, and both Squaw and Alpine would max out their parking lots on weekends then, too. And I also remember when Squaw dropped their pass prices, and Alpine was a ghost town. If Alpine were on its own and sold passes for just $1000 for a single mountain, versus mega passes for less, it would still be pretty empty, but yeah, it's a moot point. Not trying to be all core local on you, I just find some of what you say to be a bit off. Pass prices a big part of the housing problem? You contradict that yourself when you go on to mention Sonoma - the housing crisis there ain't because of cheap passes to wineries.
    As far as the Ikon pass, I think (and hope) it's just gonna spread people around a little more. I don't really see more people taking up the sport just because of a new pass, and I doubt that many people will jump ship from other passes. And for all of those that do, I think there will probably be a similar amount of people that would normally be at Squawpine or Mammoth or wherever who decide throw in the occasional road trip to somewhere else. If you live in the bay, it's not much more money, and likely less travel time, to go to Utah or Jackson instead of Tahoe for a few days. Those places that are just included for a few days on the pass will probably see an increase in numbers, though.
    I'm looking forward to checking out some different spots, or revisiting places I haven't been to in years. But man, would it be sweet to have no responsibilities and just be able to cruise around in a camper for the winter chasing storms.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Audi driving bay area weekend warriors are not hardcore regulars. You fuckers have already priced us out of homes, you want to do it to our passes, too?
    These big pass sellers have enough smarts to know that you can't price out locals and you can't price out your major market areas. That's the target with these passes. It's really not at all the dipshits posting in this thread.

Denver, San Fransisco, LA-SoCal, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC Area & of course West by God.

don't really see more people taking up the sport just because of a new pass, and I doubt that many people will jump ship from other passes. And for all of those that do, I think there will probably be a similar amount of people that would normally be at Squawpine or Mammoth or wherever who decide throw in the occasional road trip to somewhere else. If you live in the bay, it's not much more money, and likely less travel time, to go to Utah or Jackson instead of Tahoe for a few days. Those places that are just included for a few days on the pass will probably see an increase in numbers, though.
    You're probably right on most all of that. Except, I'll add that from what I see in Colorado, there are a good bit of people buying two passes (ex. Epic Pass™ and Mountain Collective Pass). I can see a lot of Frangers who may buy both an Epic Local™ and an Ikon Base™ pass. There's a lot more disposable income in these large markets, like Denver, SF & LA, where it will be no issue for people to just buy two passes and have a shit ton of options to ski over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    You're probably right on most all of that. Except, I'll add that from what I see in Colorado, there are a good bit of people buying two passes (ex. Epic Pass™ and Mountain Collective Pass). I can see a lot of Frangers who may buy both an Epic Local™ and an Ikon Base™ pass. There's a lot more disposable income in these large markets, like Denver, SF & LA, where it will be no issue for people to just buy two passes and have a shit ton of options to ski over the winter.
    Agreed on this. Passes are a status symbol that people brag about on the lift. You got 10 minutes to name drop all the mountains you've been to that year. Make sure to talk loud so the guys on the other end of the 6 pack chair hears you.

The more you think about it, look at it.

Let's say:

$659 Epic Local Pass
    $599 Ikon Base Pass
    -----
    $1,258 Total

UNLIMITED/UNRESTRICTED (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Breckenridge
    Keystone
    Arapahoe Basin
    Winter Park
    Copper Mountain
    Eldora

10 DAYS TOTAL COMBINED (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Vail
    Beaver Creek

5 DAYS AT EACH (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Steamboat
    Aspen Four Mountains (Combined)

------

EPIC.LOCAL+IKON.BASE COMBINED
    UNLIMITED = 5 RESORTS
    LIMITED = 4+ RESORTS, 20 DAYS COMBINED
    TOTAL = $1,258*

*Estimated on a $599 Ikon Pass cost and a $659 Epic Local Pass cost.

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    The more you think about it, look at it.

Let's say:

$659 Epic Local Pass
    $599 Ikon Base Pass
    -----
    $1,258 Total

UNLIMITED/UNRESTRICTED (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Breckenridge
    Keystone
    Arapahoe Basin
    Winter Park
    Copper Mountain
    Eldora

10 DAYS TOTAL COMBINED (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Vail
    Beaver Creek

5 DAYS AT EACH (CO LOCATIONS ONLY):
    Steamboat
    Aspen Four Mountains (Combined)

------

EPIC.LOCAL+IKON.BASE COMBINED
    UNLIMITED = 5 RESORTS
    LIMITED = 4+ RESORTS, 20 DAYS COMBINED
    TOTAL = $1,258*

*Estimated on a $599 Ikon Pass cost and a $659 Epic Local Pass cost.

-------------
    When you put it that way, it looks bad for Loveland/Abasin (remember abasin makes $10/day that an epic pass holder skis there... if they are of using Ikon, no $)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    When you put it that way, it looks bad for Loveland/Abasin
    I'm not sure what you mean?

Pass prices a big part of the housing problem? You contradict that yourself when you go on to mention Sonoma - the housing crisis there ain't because of cheap passes to wineries.
    We have alcohol. Lots of it. People like it. Sonoma is an hour from SF, sometimes less. It's easy. Tahoe is much more of a haul and needs a bit more incentive for that repeated commitment. Of course cheaper pass prices aren't the deciding factor but they definitely are part of the equation. Like I said, I have quite a few friends who used to go up once or twice per season who now buy cheap passes and go up several times. It all adds up. AirBNB makes it easier for sure, but AirBNB is not both the chicken *and* the egg.

Anyway, I know a number of locals who would love to see a $1500 Squaw pass again. They aren't driving Audis up on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Man, I almost wish I could pay $2500 for a pass at one area nobody went to. Not quite Yellowstone club, but something in between, with good terrain, no lines, and copious snowfall.
    The copious snowfall didn’t start till February.
    But I never stand in line, while ripping some of the best terrain in the state.

Sounds great

The Ikon will make us Front Rangers again. The ability to ski locally every weekend and storm chase to Alta and Jackson is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

The only trick will be the cost of housing...what's the take on the Candelas development that borders Rocky Flats? All I need is a negative pressure setup in the house to make sure none of that pesky plutonium gets in, amirite? Or put a cabin on some of the "gently sloping" lots off of Lee Hill Road and hope "creakside" in the ad means I can drill a 100ft well and get some water?

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    The Ikon will make us Front Rangers again. The ability to ski locally every weekend and storm chase to Alta and Jackson is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

The only trick will be the cost of housing...what's the take on the Candelas development that borders Rocky Flats? All I need is a negative pressure setup in the house to make sure none of that pesky plutonium gets in, amirite? Or put a cabin on some of the "gently sloping" lots off of Lee Hill Road and hope "creakside" in the ad means I can drill a 100ft well and get some water?
    www.candelasglows.com

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Is that bar going to open back up across the street?

We used to joke that if someone wanted to light a smoke they just needed to step outside and hold it to the ground.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Is that bar going to open back up across the street?

We used to joke that if someone wanted to light a smoke they just needed to step outside and hold it to the ground.
    Rocky Flats Lounge, supposedly they are refurbishing it (after the fire) and will reopen at some point, but who knows?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Rocky Flats Lounge, supposedly they are refurbishing it (after the fire) and will reopen at some point, but who knows?
    Yeah, they are working on it but permit processing is taking a while. Love that place. Used to work at KBJC and frequented that spot regularly.

For the price of a epic pass and an ikon pass you can buy one Alyeska pass, good at... wait for it... Alyeska.

(although in my [holy shit] almost 20 years skiing Aly I have spent less time waiting in line for an open lift probably combined in my entire life than I spent trying to get up Blackcomb mountain last weekend, so there's that)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Living in WA, it doesn’t really interest me much now but when my son gets older and I start traveling again, maybe I will revisit passes like this.

Last year, there were quite a few Europeans and out of state travelers in Jackson saying how awesome the pass is and they are traveling US for a month visiting all the places. I think those are the customers they are after. New pool of people to get more money from. Locals and nearby diehards will always buy a pass but won’t spend any money on the hill. Lift tickets are so expensive, they are starting to lose that lucrative market of family vacationers that pay for lodging, food, drinks, kids stuff and splurge on nice things because it’s a “vacation”...

I wish passes like this will trigger more competitive pricing and more cooperation between ski resorts. For example, WA could come up with WA resorts pass that’s good for all the resorts for 5 days after you indicate which one to be your unlimited. So many out of state riders will buy it and travel to WA. My friend told me that Brundage has a season pass that has pretty good perks. Tons of free skiing days from the partners. I mean a week in Kiroro for like $350 pass? That alone is worth buying if you want to travel to Japan! Purgatory and Silverton? F yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I wish passes like this will trigger more competitive pricing and more cooperation between ski resorts. For example, WA could come up with WA resorts pass that’s good for all the resorts for 5 days after you indicate which one to be your unlimited. So many out of state riders will buy it and travel to WA. My friend told me that Brundage has a season pass that has pretty good perks. Tons of free skiing days from the partners. I mean a week in Kiroro for like $350 pass? That alone is worth buying if you want to travel to Japan! Purgatory and Silverton? F yeah!
    Careful what you wish for. Do you really want more out of state skiers? Are the resorts really hurting that bad for skier visits up there?

There is little demand for Oregon and Washington as destination ski resorts imo. It might be a side trip but I see no value add for the pass marketers to have those states. Probably why none of the resorts in Or/Wa have been acquired by The Force or The Empire.

I don’t want any more added riders but looking from the business perspective, if would make sense to lure people who wasn’t the target audience before.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Really, the problem I see is that whoever gets the most snow, gets inundated with people using their pass days on pow days. Rather than people just going to the one mtn where they have a pass, now they show up to gang rape pow days at the spot who reports the most. In the end, it ends up ruining everyone's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Really, the problem I see is that whoever gets the most snow, gets inundated with people using their pass days on pow days. Rather than people just going to the one mtn where they have a pass, now they show up to gang rape pow days at the spot who reports the most. In the end, it ends up ruining everyone's experience.
    Awww... somebody needs a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    There is little demand for Oregon and Washington as destination ski resorts imo. It might be a side trip but I see no value add for the pass marketers to have those states. Probably why none of the resorts in Or/Wa have been acquired by The Force or The Empire.
    I think there'd be a lot of demand for Mt. Bachelor... with the Bend beer factor playing a role.