Page 102 of 268 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Only if there is enough snow to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    What is the best time of the season to plan on using my 5 days?
    If you are asking about skiing BS, maybe February at the earliest, just a non-local opinion. bring floaty skis no matter what, that you don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Is it rocky opening week?
    I got a core shot on a pretty much powder day in the middle of a very good season. It's always rocky, I'm told.

Yeah, Big Sky sucks... Jackson too. Best bet for Ikon pass holders is the resorts in Colorado.

Tracked out, core shots and it sucks, hmmm
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

No, best bet are the Cottonwoods and Squaw. No crowds, huge powder days.

Don't forget about the marijuana smoking that happens in "shacks" hidden all over the mountain. Utah is also a safe bet for Ikon pass holders due to its higher moral standards.

Al meant that Epic wasn't paying enough per skier day to justify their limited parking... Abasin would rather have an overflowing parking lot at a higher revenue per skier. Business.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Al meant that Epic wasn't paying enough per skier day to justify their limited parking... Abasin would rather have an overflowing parking lot at a higher revenue per skier. Business.
    I really don't think that Ikon and MC will come anywhere close to Epic skier numbers. If anyone has the actual stats of how many passes sold Epic vs Ikon, I'd love to see them, but I think I heard it was 2:1.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I really don't think that Ikon and MC will come anywhere close to Epic skier numbers. If anyone has the actual stats of how many passes sold Epic vs Ikon, I'd love to see them, but I think I heard it was 2:1.
    I think that is probably in the ball park. Epic projected selling 950k last year, but missed that mark significantly (I think they reported around 750k and their stock took a solid hit on that news.) Ikon passes sold over 250k, but they didn't disclose how many. All this was in the Colorado Sun last season.

I think pass utilization and esp its geography is a much bigger question than just the number of passes sold.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think that is probably in the ball park. Epic projected selling 950k last year, but missed that mark significantly (I think they reported around 750k and their stock took a solid hit on that news.) Ikon passes sold over 250k, but they didn't disclose how many. All this was in the Colorado Sun last season.

I think pass utilization and esp its geography is a much bigger question than just the number of passes sold.
    Yeah, Copper, WP, Aspen, Steamboat, and Abasin are all different micro climates, so there is definitely the possibility of one resort reporting a big overnight total and the frenzy ensues causing mass chaos. That is the biggest downside to any of these passes really.

Yeah, Copper, WP, Aspen, Steamboat, and Abasin are all different micro climates, so there is definitely the possibility of one resort reporting a big overnight total and the frenzy ensues causing mass chaos. That is the biggest downside to any of these passes really.
    That, but also -- where are Ikon vs Epic passes sold, and how often are they used. We don't know how many Epic vs Ikon were sold in the Front Range and Summit/Vail. We don't know if Ikon skiers on average skied 9 days to Epic 5. Difference in those can quickly wash out the difference in Epic passes being sold at a 2:1 or more rate.

Put another way: if Bob from MN who skis 5 days out west a year is the average Epic pass holder, and Denver bro who skis 15 days a year is the average Ikon pass holder, crowding on each pass could be very similar.

I dont ski any of the places on these passes regularly. But given how fucked traffic was consistently on Berthoud I can't imagine WP wasn't busy AF last year.

Just a hunch, but I’m guessing there’s a shitload more epic passes sold on the front range than Ikons. Still better access to more resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Just a hunch, but I’m guessing there’s a shitload more epic passes sold on the front range than Ikons. Still better access to more resorts.
    But A-Basin was the only decent resort on that pass within day-trip distance... I suspect we'll see the gap between Epic and Ikon passes sold on the Front Range narrowed dramatically this season.

Which doesn't make me particularly happy... but...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I got a core shot on a pretty much powder day in the middle of a very good season. It's always rocky, I'm told.
    The only safe way to ski BS on a powder day, in my experience as a NON-local, is to NOT touch the untracked spots. They're untracked for a REASON.

Except for those parts of the mountain that nobody skis. Then it's a total crapshoot with the untracked.

Epic created more demand than AB had parking capacity. AB can max out parking on Ikon+MC even if they have less ppl than Ikon. AB will make more $.

Epic created more demand than AB had parking capacity. AB can max out parking on Ikon+MC even if they have less ppl than Ikon. AB will make more $.
    Except with Ikon, i doubt keystone will be keen on allowing A-Basin people to park in their lot an shuttle up to the basin.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Except with Ikon, i doubt keystone will be keen on allowing A-Basin people to park in their lot an shuttle up to the basin.
    Would be cool if ABasin had an auxiliary parking lot somewhere with an express shuttle to the ski area. Maybe that big open lot in the Cove? Or the marina in DILLON.

Did Keystone really offer much parking for Abasin? When Abasin lots were full, so was Keystone.

Abasin will still have all the US6 pulloff lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    go there for the experience
    That's the nub of it with either Ikon or Epic.

It's easy to get carried away by it being good for your purse but to ignore the fact the experience is actually being more crowded.

And far easier for the visitor to feel it in the purse.

This is not good for the industry or the skier long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That's the nub of it with either Ikon or Epic.

This is not good for the industry or the skier long term.
    That may be true. I have learned it's tough to predict the future. But I see the past fairly clearly, and Ikon last year was totally kick ass for me.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    That may be true. I have learned it's tough to predict the future. But I see the past fairly clearly, and Ikon last year was totally kick ass for me.
    I understand.

I skied for free at BS too on my Crystal pass. It was great, my first time, so I didn't notice the decrease in experience or how longer the tram line was. Get days at Alpental too! If I want to risk being stoned by the locals.

We're being treated like sous vide frogs.

It doesn't require prediction. Duopolies are rarely good for the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Get days at Alpental too! If I want to risk being stoned by the locals.

We're being treated like sous vide frogs.
    If yer getting sous vide'd, might as well get stoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    If yer getting sous vide'd, might as well get stoned.
    Ha I was going to say the locals are more than generous with their stoning.

And I bet oftpiste has a sous vide frog recipe up his sleeve

Because IKONers hate to carpool?

I really don’t mind maxed out parking on weekends. Keep the place in business. Parking in the upper lots isn’t that bad if you just walk across the road to CDOT.