Page 197 of 266 FirstFirst ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Ikon Pass

Close... it’s Alpine Meadows. I have three kids and it’s an amazing spot to teach them. Two dedicated beginner lifts right near the lodge that you can park right next to, then some mid mountain lifts with a ton of variety and options.

And the base is 600 feet higher than Squaw.

On the other hand. All of those places can be hit and miss in December.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Squalpine is a risky option for December and getting riskier by the year.

IME, every place is a crapshoot in December. And this year especially so. Go with the place that's easiest, most comfortable, safest, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’d choose mammoth over alpine. Main lodge is higher than most of the top stations at Alpine. Also a more robust snow making system. And a high speed beginner lift to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’d choose mammoth over alpine. Main lodge is higher than most of the top stations at Alpine. Also a more robust snow making system. And a high speed beginner lift to boot.
    Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight, I kinda regret not heading down last November, to ski their triple wrod with a buddy and her dad. Shoulda/woulda/coulda.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Just got inside word from reservations that Christmas at Steamboat is going to be as busy as ever. People are buying full price day passes ($225), people are booking vacations, sounds like it's gonna be stupid here. I wonder how long it takes for Polis to close ski hills again when ski towns become hot spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Oh, I agree with this for sure. I was just going off the listed options.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    Just got inside word from reservations that Christmas at Steamboat is going to be as busy as ever. People are buying full price day passes ($225), people are booking vacations, sounds like it's gonna be stupid here. I wonder how long it takes for Polis to close ski hills again when ski towns become hot spots.
    How are they going to operate with no gondola, or only one or two a box?

I am fairly confident that locals can ski safely. The problem is people getting stupid on vacation--packing bars, restaurants, 20 people in a 4 BR airbnb.
    I would shut STR's, leave hotels open since they can control occupancy, close the bars, restaurants take out only, or room service. Ain't gonna happen, I know. For most people ski vacations aren't about skiing. And it would put most bars and restaurants permanently out of business.

It's not going to be a matter of choice. A ski bar will be the most toxic room for anybody to be in. Doesn't anyone remember last season? Ishgyl?

I would head north based on the La Nina forecast. I unfortunately think the storm track will favor Montana, JH, Pac NW, BC. I'm thinking we (Mammoth) will be skiing a bunch of man made for the beginning of the year, but who knows. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I too would take Mammoth over SquawAlpine. Check out Big Sky although usually needs a bunch of snow to cover up the sharks which are rather prevalent there. What about Whitefish? North, heard from a buddy it's empty and great with kids? Should work well w/ La Nina?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    ...Check out Big Sky although usually needs a bunch of snow to cover up the sharks which are rather prevalent there. What about Whitefish? North, heard from a buddy it's empty and great with kids? Should work well w/ La Nina?
    The sharks are never covered in Big Sky. Bring p-tex.

Ikon Pass

All Ikoners should head to Big Sky, Crystal and Jackson this season. Big years coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    There's a shop at the bottom that did an excellent core shot repair on my pow skis. Lone Mountain Sports. Old school. Cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    QFT.

Even when they *appear* to be covered... they are there. Just waiting. Patiently. To fuck your skis up.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's a shop at the bottom that did an excellent core shot repair on my pow skis. Lone Mountain Sports. Old school. Cheap.
    Charged my kid 5$ for a core shot. They make their profit in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    All Ikoners should head to Big Sky, Crystal and Jackson this season. Big years coming.
    This looks like good advice, thanks.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Didn't you see the talk in the Real Estate Crash thread? Bozeman is full.

Check out Big Sky although usually needs a bunch of snow to cover up the sharks which are rather prevalent there.
    Yeah the sharks had me on my ass several times last season which was my first time at BS. First few crashes I thought I was just being sloppy, then I realized it's kinda a problem there. I ate shit 5x in one day due to those lil bastards. People must be getting core shots all the time there.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Leta assume you have the month of December to ski with your 3&6 yr old kids everyday. Where do you go?
    With a 3 & 6 year old. Anywhere you can afford ski in/out. Little guy’s can’t ski that long and need frequent breaks.

Something off the Christie lift, in Steamboat would be my choice.

Went to Big Sky last year, shark fins everywhere, traffic driving to the mountain, super expensive, biggest lift lines ever. Still a ton of fun.

Can't be too many runs in the US as cool as Big Couloir.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Oh, I agree with this for sure. I was just going off the listed options.
    CA won't allow Disneyland to open which seems to me would be easier to control enforce social distancing than a ski area. What is Newsome going to do when there is an outbreak in Tahoe or a specific resort like Mammoth?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    CA won't allow Disneyland to open which seems to me would be easier to control enforce social distancing than a ski area. What is Newsome going to do when there is an outbreak in Tahoe or a specific resort like Mammoth?
    The bike parks at both Mammoth and Northstar were open this summer. That seems to be a better comparison to skiing than the congestion of Disneyland.

Controlling the social distancing can be tough, but also this time around everyone will be wearing masks and not gathering inside in close proximity like they were in early March.

I would head north based on the La Nina forecast. I unfortunately think the storm track will favor Montana, JH, Pac NW, BC. I'm thinking we (Mammoth) will be skiing a bunch of man made for the beginning of the year, but who knows. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I too would take Mammoth over SquawAlpine. Check out Big Sky although usually needs a bunch of snow to cover up the sharks which are rather prevalent there. What about Whitefish? North, heard from a buddy it's empty and great with kids? Should work well w/ La Nina?
    Wonder if Red would be in a good spot. I think it is on the Ikon this year. I’d like to go there if the border opened.