Page 62 of 268 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

I am glad that another mega corp is fending off Vail BUT lets be honest the Ikon Pass and Epic Pass is essentially the same thing. The consolidation of skiing is not good for the sport besides cheaper season pass options. I think we will see these two corporations battle it out for a few years and then probably something else will happen. . .

I can't get over how many retired folks are taking massive ski trips (4-7 weeks plus) with the ikon pass!

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    I am glad that another mega corp is fending off Vail BUT lets be honest the Ikon Pass and Epic Pass is essentially the same thing. The consolidation of skiing is not good for the sport besides cheaper season pass options.
    why is it not good for the sport? I see some skiers complaining about crowds but haven't seen a big argument for how this is worse for the sport of skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    why is it not good for the sport? I see some skiers complaining about crowds but haven't seen a big argument for how this is worse for the sport of skiing.
    Right, I am confused?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It doesn't take too much imagination to see what could hurt an industry or its consumers when two large companies swallow up the whole industry between themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

the reasoning goes something like this.... low seasons pass rates = high walk up rates = fewer beginners learning to ski = death of skiing

step 3, profit.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It doesn't take too much imagination to see what could hurt an industry or its consumers when two large companies swallow up the whole industry between themselves.
    Sure. But is that what he's arguing, that monopoly will hurt the sport of skiing? I have no idea. And the usual ways that monopoly hurts consumers, by price gouging, doesn't really seem to be happening here. And it may never happen here, because this is not the same kind of product and skiers aren't the same kind of "consumers" as someone buying widgets.

Again, not saying that there isn't a potential monopoly will hurt skiing argument, but I -- the one asking -- shouldn't have to be the one to make it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    the reasoning goes something like this.... low seasons pass rates = high walk up rates = fewer beginners learning to ski = death of skiing

step 3, profit.
    perhaps. But do beginners learn to ski that way? Most resorts still seem to have "learn to ski" packages that are affordable. And I have seen many people move to Colorado as non-skiers and become skiers here (anecdotal evidence, but still), and high walk up rates have been the norm here for a LONG time. So I think you'll have to do better than that.

I have no idea. And the usual ways that monopoly hurts consumers, by price gouging, doesn't really seem to be happening here.
    Yet.

And it may never happen here
    Agreed... it may be just a continuing lowering of quality/experience/choice. Think of the airlines here.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    I can't get over how many retired folks are taking massive ski trips (4-7 weeks plus) with the ikon pass!
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yet.

Agreed... it may be just a continuing lowering of quality/experience/choice. Think of the airlines here.
    It might. But maybe not. Because while technically airline travel is not something required, it pretty much is required. It's a product that is very hard to do without if you want to travel beyond a certain distance. Ski resorts, however, are completely optional. If season passes cost, say, $1500, many many many people would simply find something else to do with that money. It's just a different kind of product. And because it is a purely optional product, those who are selling it have a vested interest in growing their market, not trashing it.

Not arguing for or against Epikon. But if someone is going to say "consolidation of skiing is not good for the sport", they should at least be able to explain why they think that is, what part of the sport are they afraid is going to be damaged?

Not arguing for or against Epikon. But if someone is going to say "consolidation of skiing is not good for the sport", they should at least be able to explain why they think that is, what part of the sport are they afraid is going to be damaged?
    I did..

lowering quality/experience/choice.

Danno, if you want the economic theory google "Duopoly". Think Pepsi and Coke. Interestingly, when buddy passes came out, they was talk within the Gems of the Rockies organization about pursuing anti-trust enforcement. The way is was explained to me was that lobbyists, legislators and bureaucrats at the state level thought is was so good for tourist that is was a non-starter.

And it's Monday... back to normal in Aspen - no lines on 1A and bluebird. (I dread the day that 1A gets developed)

That’s totally what I pictured Djongo’s place looking like, yeesh. Fucking slagmaster’s place was way more choice, hard too believe.
    Anyhoo, IKON/Epic is very good for the sport. I’m buying an IKON pass tomorrow, dickweeds!
    Take Laps
    crab in my shoe mouth

Check the sidebar adverts ---->

Theeey're heeere...

I do think Ikon is a great way for retired people to ski travel for the winter... that's Mrs. singlecross and my plan in a few years to be honest.

Also Ikon/Epic/whatever "company" doesn't necessarily need to make money on skiing. Pass holders are giving them huge amounts of capital in advance which they can then invest elsewhere to realize a financial return. Think shell game...

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Check the sidebar adverts ---->

Also Ikon/Epic/whatever "company" doesn't necessarily need to make money on skiing. Pass holders are giving them huge amounts of capital in advance which they can then invest elsewhere to realize a financial return. Think shell game...
    If you want to know the true value to Vail Resorts of receiving an influx of cash in November and independent of snow conditions, check out this press release about "Epic for Everyone" http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...h0LnTl0LeVP7BU

Vail trying to shift daily pass sales to this model as well.

Mebbe there should be a cage match between Ikon and Epic.

Two pass enter, one pass leave.

"Epic day pass will be mailed to skiers, eliminating the need to stand in line for a day pass"

What? Mailed? Make it like an airline boarding pass you idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    "Epic day pass will be mailed to skiers, eliminating the need to stand in line for a day pass"

What? Mailed? Make it like an airline boarding pass you idiots.
    Unbelievable. They managed to make the experience of buying a ticket at the window not just expensive, but so miserable and torturous that people are willing to buy a year in advance to avoid the process.

"Remember that time you tried to give us $175 for a window ticket and you had to wait 45 minutes while the 3 people in front of you went through the interview process to purchase a ticket? Then you spent another 10 minutes answering questions while everyone was out tracking out all the new snow?? Well, buy now and forego the pain and save $5 per day on tickets!! Forget about the fact that it's just too easy to hand someone money and get a lift ticket, we can't allow that"

I always love the scolding after you buy your ticket at the window "reload online and you won't have to wait in this line again!!". As in, you idiot what were you thinking, hope you enjoying being tortured now do it the way we want it and you won't have to go through the pain again.

This whole treatment more than anything makes my blood boil. If anything you should be making it really convenient for those paying you the artificially inflated window prices. They need an express window for those willing to fork it over: "give me money I give you ticket, not questions, no put me in the system".

2019-20 Ikon base pass purchased. We've had Mountain Collective every year since they first offered it, but Ikon overlaps 100% with all the MC resorts that we'll use. For the extra $ over MC, the Ikon pass is well worth it for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    That’s totally what I pictured Djongo’s place looking like, yeesh. Fucking slagmaster’s place was way more choice, hard too believe.
    Anyhoo, IKON/Epic is very good for the sport. I’m buying an IKON pass tomorrow, dickweeds!
    Take Laps
    if you knew his living arangement
    well youd feel like even more of the sad e-cunt that you are
    but you go girl
    i got skins decades ago to get away from stuck on the bullwheel spinning laps with ikonic epic dickweeds like you
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Unbelievable. They managed to make the experience of buying a ticket at the window not just expensive, but so miserable and torturous that people are willing to buy a year in advance to avoid the process.

"Remember that time you tried to give us $175 for a window ticket and you had to wait 45 minutes while the 3 people in front of you went through the interview process to purchase a ticket? Then you spent another 10 minutes answering questions while everyone was out tracking out all the new snow?? Well, buy now and forego the pain and save $5 per day on tickets!! Forget about the fact that it's just too easy to hand someone money and get a lift ticket, we can't allow that"

I always love the scolding after you buy your ticket at the window "reload online and you won't have to wait in this line again!!". As in, you idiot what were you thinking, hope you enjoying being tortured now do it the way we want it and you won't have to go through the pain again.

This whole treatment more than anything makes my blood boil. If anything you should be making it really convenient for those paying you the artificially inflated window prices. They need an express window for those willing to fork it over: "give me money I give you ticket, not questions, no put me in the system".
    Those windows are going to go away COMPLETELY. In the not-too-distant future. It'll be a kiosk.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Those windows are going to go away COMPLETELY. In the not-too-distant future. It'll be a kiosk.
    I bought my first ever Whistler lift ticket from a "kiosk" in 1991.

Stoopid question: if I buy a base IKON pass does that mean I'm blacked out at my home mountain as well as the others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.