Page 231 of 266 FirstFirst ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Both of those places have been on the market since July. You can list your shithole for $100M if you want, doesn't mean it will sell for that.

Blaming realtors for housing prices seems like blaming the gas station owner for the price of oil. They're taking a cut but it's not like they're the ones driving the supply/demand curve.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wait, you met your wife in a brothel?
    That would be pretty baller to take a woman of vast experience and give her such a good time, she had to marry you. Kind of like the "like a virgin" conversation from reservoir dogs.

I actually met her in the bar and eventually made it to the brothel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Blaming realtors for housing prices seems like blaming the gas station owner for the price of oil. They're taking a cut but it's not like they're the ones driving the supply/demand curve.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I couldn't stand it so I went and investigated.
    This is 548 as it stands today:
    Attachment 388680
    This Jackson ode to Bauhausian architecture can be yours for $1.8M.
    Red rig negotiable.

And here's the math on this place...
    It's owned by a local son of teton village, raised skiing the big mtn.
    He's considered a slumlord here now, if that actually exists.
    Owns many overpriced shitholes, let's them run out their life then sells it as a scraper.

Here's the crux, that prop. is about 3/4 a block from the Hospital; And right now they are one of the most motivated buyer/developers in town. And their pockets are deeper than almost anyone else who might be interested in this otherwise unspectacular offering.

Owner is looking at Hospital to buy and shooting for the moon. He's not unique.
    Nor is this type of shite dirt pimpin' around here.

Supply and demand, that's all.
    I appreciate the clarity. Thanks

Both of those places have been on the market since July. You can list your shithole for $100M if you want, doesn't mean it will sell for that.

Yes, but how will jaded locals bitch out such things without that sort of content?

Regardless of complaining, the contrast you see in the housing market for places like Jackson will manifest into some interesting dynamics; Crested Butte is currently going through some pretty big clashes between the upper-middle class and upper class people skyrocketing the market, and the people who would serve them coffee and run their lifts. Turns out, the lower class people can't afford to make things work in CB, so the ski industry proper is taking some heavy hits to their operations. Starts to kinda defeat the purpose of moving to a ski town if the support system to make the ski resort run is getting driven out.

You can add Bozeman, Summit County, and east SLC to a similar trend.

Anyway, I'm not one to complain about it. IMO I'd like to see some things happen to drive the upper class out and go back to Ski Areas rather than Ski Resorts. So anything that hurries that process along faster I'm okay with.

I think many people understand the concept of these clashes between classes implicitly, but it's communicated in the form of complaining, so I can understand where they're coming from.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I grew up with some realtors in my extended family so I don't particularly hold a grudge against the profession.
    My aunt was a highly successful broker in Jax, FL in the 70's and put a lot of energy into providing low income housing.

But this area is unique in a few ways that has brought out some of the worst aspects of that group.
    Many realtors, at listing, will just buy the place first and without doing a thing to it, will flip it. With so few available places, that's jacking up the price for a buyer who may have gotten it at the first price.

Some realtors get a license and plan to sell only one place a year, knowing they can live offa the commission. But they'll convince the seller/buyer that it's worth more than any reasonable appraisal, to enhance their cut.

I suspect 98% of RE Pro's are decent hard working folks, but in JH they have def had a negative impact on the housing equation.
    Many old local families have vacated their digs due to their increased tax burden because the house next door sold overpriced and then was replaced with a Mcmansion that sits vacant for 48 weeks a year.

Remember this was a poor cowtown thru the 80's. Very few wealthy wanted to live here.
    Now the county is filling up with peeps who only want a tax shelter and choose TC as it's attractive to the eye and inflates their ego of ownership in the Hole.
    The wealthy ones who love Wyoming live in places like Crowheart or Chugwater.

I'm not stoked about it but it's the place I chose so I just deal with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What, no love for the fast red taco from CO with the flat tire?

And Frush's 4M example is brand new and butts up to the Nat'l. Elk refuge, which is likely the big ticket extra.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Regardless of complaining, the contrast you see in the housing market for places like Jackson will manifest into some interesting dynamics; Crested Butte is currently going through some pretty big clashes between the upper-middle class and upper class people skyrocketing the market, and the people who would serve them coffee and run their lifts. Turns out, the lower class people can't afford to make things work in CB, so the ski industry proper is taking some heavy hits to their operations. Starts to kinda defeat the purpose of moving to a ski town if the support system to make the ski resort run is getting driven out.

You can add Bozeman, Summit County, and east SLC to a similar trend.

Anyway, I'm not one to complain about it. IMO I'd like to see some things happen to drive the upper class out and go back to Ski Areas rather than Ski Resorts. So anything that hurries that process along faster I'm okay with.

I think many people understand the concept of these clashes between classes implicitly, but it's communicated in the form of complaining, so I can understand where they're coming from.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    This:

A record number of workers are quitting their jobs, empowered by new leverage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...gust-pandemic/

"The number of people quitting their jobs has surged to record highs, pushed by a combination of factors that include Americans sensing ample opportunity and better pay elsewhere.
    Some 4.3 million people quit jobs in August, according to the monthly survey — about 2.9 percent of the workforce, according to new data released Tuesday from the Department of Labor. Those numbers are up from the previous records set in April and nearly matched in July, of about 4 million people quitting.
    The phenomenon is being driven in part by workers who are less willing to endure inconvenient hours and poor compensation, quitting at this stage in the pandemic to find better opportunities elsewhere. According to the report, there were 10.4 million job openings in the country at the end of August — down slightly from July’s record high, which was adjusted up to 11.1 million, but still a tremendously high number."

One wonders how ski towns will provide service this winter. Amazon announced about 20 an hour wages and college tuition to workers who stick it out a little to compete in this employment market. I know ski areas are different, it's a 24/7 party compared to Amazon, but, still, without immigrants filling jobs, it's going to be interesting.

Many realtors, at listing, will just buy the place first and without doing a thing to it, will flip it. With so few available places, that's jacking up the price for a buyer who may have gotten it at the first price.
    In most places that would be potentially grounds for license loss since they're buying it without exposing it to the market. At the very least it would be considered pretty shady shit and I'd be surprised if managing brokers for their offices were stoked about the practice. But yeah, fuck them.

Some realtors get a license and plan to sell only one place a year, knowing they can live offa the commission. But they'll convince the seller/buyer that it's worth more than any reasonable appraisal, to enhance their cut.
    Just cuz a broker convinces someone to list high doesn't mean it will sell at that price. And the difference between a commission on a $5 million vs. $5.5 million sale is (arguably) negligible. Could still live on it for a year!

There's 2 parts to the housing market that I believe people are missing. #1 is interest rates are super low. This drives down your payment obviously, but drives up the price of the unit. Many people in their 50's & 60's in metropolitan areas, can refinance their existing home, take cash out & buy a condo or second home somewhere cheaper & still have the same payment. So why wouldn't anyone do that if they could? That is for the lower end of the ski-condo-housing market. I think all bets are off on that being applicable for the rich, super rich or whatever you wanna call them. And I could be wrong on that, it could be the wealthy making a killing on that also.

#2 the stock market has practically doubled in the last few years. So you have wealthy Mr. Rich, he has $2 million in the market in 2019-18 whatever. He turns around 3-4 years later, now it's doubled and he has $4 million. He just made $2 million doing nothing. What's he-she gonna do? Wait for it to go to $6 or $8 mil, or, pull it out & buy a seven-figure condo in Jackson or Vail or Deer Valley or Crested Butte.

Basically the wealthy have made a killing in the last 4 years while lift workers, ski techs, servers, etc have seen stagnant income growth & savings.

Those of us lucky enough to own a house in ski town had best learn to fix shit on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    In most places that would be potentially grounds for license loss since they're buying it without exposing it to the market. At the very least it would be considered pretty shady shit and I'd be surprised if managing brokers for their offices were stoked about the practice. But yeah, fuck them.

Just cuz a broker convinces someone to list high doesn't mean it will sell at that price. And the difference between a commission on a $5 million vs. $5.5 million sale is (arguably) negligible. Could still live on it for a year!
    to your point #1 - I would certainly think that'd be the case and I don't think it's pervasive but it's a rather known practice, even quietly.
    In Wyoming, lots of old boy networking is still very much alive. RE is a big generator here so this stuff prolly slides thru with the proper greasing. Again, not a majority but we have a shit ton of agents for such a small market.

Which connects to point #2 - Most of these types of agents are ski bums and peeps not in it for the career, the valley or the prestige. Just a relatively easy way to earn a good living while living the skid life.

A lot of this is changing and becoming more streamlined as the market becomes white hot here. Too much to lose if caught being underhanded.

Those of us lucky enough to own a house in ski town had best learn to fix shit on our own.
    So you're saying you need an onsite caretaker?

I've never been able to get my head around making a quick few grand at the expense of my name, honor, reputation, conscience, let alone fucking over other people.

to your point #1 - I would certainly think that'd be the case and I don't think it's pervasive but it's a rather known practice, even quietly.
    In Wyoming, lots of old boy networking is still very much alive. RE is a big generator here so this stuff prolly slides thru with the proper greasing. Again, not a majority but we have a shit ton of agents for such a small market.

Which connects to point #2 - Most of these types of agents are ski bums and peeps not in it for the career, the valley or the prestige. Just a relatively easy way to earn a good living while living the skid life.

A lot of this is changing and becoming more streamlined as the market becomes white hot here. Too much to lose if caught being underhanded.

The idea that a selling realtor would push an inflated price for the extra commission makes no sense. The pressure on the listing agent would be the exact opposite, to list low or urge acceptance of low bids. Because the big money is in the sale, any sale. The difference in commission for a price difference of 10 or 20 grand is pretty small, relatively speaking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well there are two kinds of realtors. Honest caring who do their best to facilitate a best deal and dirt pimps who would sell their mother for a buck. I've dealt with both kinds.

I've never been able to get my head around making a quick few grand at the expense of my name, honor, reputation, conscience, let alone fucking over other people.
    So You're not a realtor
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    So You're not a realtor(TM)
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The idea that a selling realtor would push an inflated price for the extra commission makes no sense. The pressure on the listing agent would be the exact opposite, to list low or urge acceptance of low bids. Because the big money is in the sale, any sale. The difference in commission for a price difference of 10 or 20 grand is pretty small, relatively speaking.
    This. It's all about turnover, not trying to squeeze every last dime out of every commission.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So you're saying you need an onsite caretaker?
    And a private chef of course.
    I know a guy who's a full time caretaker/handyman for a rich guy's house. And he doesn't even get free lodging there. He used to volunteer at the Truckee Roundhouse, keeping machinery running but he had to stop that because his job took all his time. Apparently the 5000 dollar japanese toilets require constant repairs and adjustment. And the house has a lot of them.

Growing up broke I got very good at fixing and installing most home or garage mechanical, electrical, piping or architectural systems for my family. Now living in a ski town it is faster, cheaper and easier to perform DIY repairs.

Don't get me started on being a Realtor (TM). I call it the worlds most expensive magazine subscription. Most of us, at least in WA, are required to be members by our offices. Wonder how that happened?

Hundreds of dollars in dues (on top of desk fees and licensing) every year to national AND state divisions, CE requirements (outside if the license renewal ones) for an "Ethics" class every two years that has NOTHING, EVER, to do with actual 'ethics', horribly conservative lobbying on political issues, and a shitty magazine. Fucking ripoff assholes. I'd bail in a heartbeat of I had the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    FIFY

Don't get me started on being a Realtor (TM). I call it the worlds most expensive magazine subscription. Most of us, at least in WA, are required to be members by our offices. Wonder how that happened?

Hundreds of dollars in dues (on top of desk fees and licensing) every year to national AND state divisions, CE requirements (outside if the license renewal ones) for an "Ethics" class every two years that has NOTHING, EVER, to do with actual 'ethics', horribly conservative lobbying on political issues, and a shitty magazine. Fucking ripoff assholes. I'd bail in a heartbeat of I had the choice.
    Same. I’m forced into also. I think it’s telling that the “ethics” course is shorter than the course on how and when you can refer to yourself as a Realtor (TM).

Anyway, new Ikon pass showed up this week in the mail. Gave my nephew the scratch and sniffs, so that’s a win I guess. Saving the big Ikon sticker to slap on the back of some Gotos-out truck in the Wildcat parking lot one powder day.

Sorry kids--not much under the tree this morning I know. Santa is still stuck at the Port of Los Angeles, but check in your xmas stockings for some great IKON pass swag.

Sorry kids--not much under the tree this morning I know. Santa is still stuck at the Port of Los Angeles, but check in your xmas stockings for some great IKON pass swag.
    Seriously. I've already started ordering Christmas presents for my kids... it's going to be a back-ordered shit show come December.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.