Page 172 of 268 FirstFirst ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Ikon Pass

So what’s the most likely scenario at this point? Resorts open like ABasin did, with a reservation system and only the bathroom in the lodge? Bring your own stuff? Half capacity parking and limited capacity on mountain. Few seasonal workers from overseas? 1 party per chair even on a 18” powder day?

I think that they will allow 3 people on a six-pack, 2 on a quad, etc. Food will be served with 6 foot distancing, just like at Home Depot, Costco and other businesses. Like I said, way back, there will be a much more mellow feel at the resorts, and less crowds. Sort of like skiing in the '70s. Bring it on! (so long as I can get my daily reservation)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Sure, many times. But I don’t see families canceling because it’s closed or severely limited.

You’re just projecting why You won’t ski this year, again.

Yes, things will be different. But the skiing will still be good.
    Christ, people have short memories. Did you see the pictures and numbers from Ischgl from just last February? Ski resorts are the perfect transmission hot spots. Hey, fine for you, and others who live in these places, but, when the shit flies in high Colorado again, and it probably will until a vaccine, do you really think the mountains will stay open? Even if they do, who will come under lottery and no bars conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I'll bet you a buck that The Mangy Moose looks nothing like that this summer, or next winter.
    Then, really, why open it? Why go there? What's the kick about being in a place like that with distancing and no band?

Of course no one will ski if the bars are not open. What would one do all day?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Christ, people have short memories. Did you see the pictures and numbers from Ischgl from just last February? Ski resorts are the perfect transmission hot spots. Hey, fine for you, and others who live in these places, but, when the shit flies in high Colorado again, and it probably will until a vaccine, do you really think the mountains will stay open? Even if they do, who will come under lottery and no bars conditions?

Then, really, why open it? Why go there? What's the kick about being in a place like that with distancing and no band?
    I actually agree with Benny on this one. And I'm also not willing to sacrifice the lives of my parents and their friends (or anyone else for that matter) so I can ride lifts. Plenty of people on this forum that fall into a suspectible demographic as well.

I also will be curious to see how it plays out as most ski resorts heavily rely on food and beverage, hotels, rentals. The locals may make the machine run but they don't grease the wheels so to speak. It certainly doesn't make economic sense for most resorts especially as travel remains low and risk of an outbreak is high. Seems like the resorts may be testing the waters this summer. I guess we'll see how it plays out though.

It's certainly an interesting experiment to see if humans are able to sacrifice or make changes to their lifestyles for the greater good. So far Americans are failing. Over 100k dead and people are taunting each other about skiing and biking.

That said, I am grateful I live in place that I'm able to continue to recreate as I please. I also try not to rub it in others faces like a jackass.

Well I just pulled the trigger... even went from base to full pass even though I might not use the added benefits, but the price delta is so low with renewal discount.
    Here's to optimism! Clink!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

when the shit flies in high Colorado again, and it probably will until a vaccine, do you really think the mountains will stay open?
    Not above 10,000 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We can speculate 'til the cows come home, but nobody, even Benny have no idea what will happen this winter. I am just taking a wait and see attitude. If things look real bad I will defer my pass u til next year, but odds are I will be able to get my days in at Mammoth even of I don't travel, which I usually do once or twice a winter.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Ikon Pass

I could see Vail and Alterra keeping mountain open at 1/3 capacity, and then people wouldn’t be able to defer their passes to the following year if they use them.

What if there’s reduced ski patrol and resorts end up not opening up expert terrain, so their patrols don’t get overwhelmed with injuries? Just spitballing.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What if there’s reduced ski patrol and resorts end up not opening up expert terrain, so their patrols don’t get overwhelmed with injuries? Just spitballing.
    Majority of injuries happen on blues and greens.

Lifts will spin, and I see lodging probably staying open too. Limited F&B, restrooms, etc all good. People will be required to wear masks. No big deal.

Honestly, even for me, going to the ski area and not going into the lodge is pretty damn easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

Lifts will spin, and I see lodging probably staying open too. Limited F&B, restrooms, etc all good. People will be required to wear masks. No big deal.

Honestly, even for me, going to the ski area and not going into the lodge is pretty damn easy.
    Yeah but with possible limited staff could they get to opening the expert terrain, if they are dealing with the injuries on the lesser trails? You wanna ski blues all day?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah but with possible limited staff could they get to opening the expert terrain, if they are dealing with the injuries on the lesser trails? You wanna ski blues all day?
    ]
    Make up whatever scenario you want. Depends on your hill I guess. There's a lot of work that gets done during the week when the gapers aren't around hurting themselves. Will patrol be on a tight payroll? Sure.

I'd like to see SVAM offer a local pass at a discount. I can see skiing this winter but not traveling.

Well, let's hope all ski resorts want to cater to just you and folks like you then.

Ski resorts can't survive if they don't offer F&B, and of course lodging, along with ski lessons.

An Ikon pass isn't going to generate enough revenue to keep all but a few lifts spinning.

Doesn't sound like much fun waiting in a 30 minute lift line, then a 30 minute line to go to the few bathrooms that will be open.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Rob Katz (Vail) just donated ~$12mil. to COVID relief. There is no way that companies like Vail, Powder or Alterra don't run lifts. It will be all about "the new normal" and social distancing. At 1:00pm, there will be lines outside lodges filled with people waiting their turn for the opportunity to purchase a bowl of $20 chili. Everyone will be properly spaced, like is seen at retail stores everywhere.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Well, let's hope all ski resorts want to cater to just you and folks like you then.

Ski resorts can't survive if they don't offer F&B, and of course lodging, along with ski lessons.

An Ikon pass isn't going to generate enough revenue to keep all but a few lifts spinning.

Doesn't sound like much fun waiting in a 30 minute lift line, then a 30 minute line to go to the few bathrooms that will be open.
    Right. And, let's face it, tons of gapers are in this sport for the drinking. No bars, I doubt many will be inspired to drop a few grand for a week of relatively sucky services.

Then there's the many many skiers who still may be unemployed next late fall/winter, or so financially damaged that spending a few grand on a week of skiing becomes a very low priority.

I think the bigger loss will be the ski family, who the resorts make bank on. Think about all the indoor time a tourist family typically spends indoors buying tickets, lessons, rentals, food and waiting around restrooms while the kids are spending 20 minutes trying to get their bibs down to pee. Most, or at least a lot will choose to vacation somewhere with less hassles. I sure would if I had to deal with kids.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I could see Vail and Alterra keeping mountain open at 1/3 capacity, and then people wouldn’t be able to defer their passes to the following year if they use them.

my advice is don't ski early season then, wait to make sure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'd like to see SVAM offer a local pass at a discount. I can see skiing this winter but not traveling.
    Sure. You can get the old Squaw pass for $1299 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post

They will adapt, people will adapt, life will go on, skiing will happen.

I wonder how many people buy IKON passes who don't have one of the unlimited resorts as their home mountain.

Interesting question...many probably do if they like ski travel, or live near enough to other Ikon hills to justify. Also peoe who don't ski enough to justify some over priced resort passes, but buying Ikon for the 7 days and half off day tickets. I am thinking Jackson if you only ski a week or two (three? I haven't done the math.)

I was pretty happy with a Mammoth MVP and adding a MC option, but Ikon for the most part makes that an non option. I supposed MC still may be useful at non Ikon hills.

iscariot

They will adapt, people will adapt, life will go on, skiing will happen.
    And that is one opinion.

I am thinking that we may see an abbreviated season, certainly over by April and maybe not starting until a week of so before Christmas and possibly 4 day a week operations except for the traditional holidays, potentially less terrain, and a bunch of the smaller areas deciding they just don't want to take the risk.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ski areas better figure out how to deal with it this season, because there's no guarantee next season will be any different. Personally I think people will drive to ski this season, but few will fly. I expect Big Sky will be pretty slow since it's hard to drive to from any major population center, and lodging deals will be abundant. Dakota and Lone Moose probably won't spin. They might even shut down a bunch of the real estate lifts if they aren't contractually obligated to keep them running. Tram is anybody's guess. Third or half capacity probably. It's only a five minute ride. Everything I've read about the spread of this disease emphasizes that prolonged exposure is a key factor.

But I disagree about the smaller areas--they will flourish this year. No trams, no gondolas. Their infrastructure is much less expensive to operate, and they are also far less dependent on food/bev/lodging sales to make money. And there's no real risk to them opening--everybody will be signing waivers absolving the ski areas of any responsibility for virus spread. Great Divide is going to have an epic, awesome year! (You know, because I got a pass there.)