Page 79 of 268 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Well, the hotel owners make more money, need to hire more staff, so more folks in the community have more money and are more likely to continue to buy season passes and might just buy food on the hill. It may be hard for a dirt bag local to see, but it pumps a good amount more money into the local economy Andrew they still get something from IKON when you use your days there.

My concern with Epic/Ikon is the increased air travel that a passholder might use to get to all the resorts. Air travel is a huge contributor to climate change. Like that dude who thinks the crappy food at US Resorts is good, he traveled to a bunch of different resorts to get his pass price down to $51.xx (btw, love the exact calculation, minus travel and lodging) and added a bunch more CO2 to the atmosphere and drives the end of winter.

When VR bought KW, I stuck with the KW Only pass as we don’t travel for a bunch of reasons. If I buy an IKON to ski Mammy this spring, then my son and I will be tempted to travel at least once next winter. But doubt we actually will. If we do, probably will be Aspen as they seem like they do not have the shit show that JH and BS endured this season. And Aspen looks rad.

I'm glad that you show the intelligence to understand economic Dynamics as evidenced in the first paragraph. Which makes your second paragraph perplexing. In all the debate over Ikon and MC passes the only hard data that we have put out there are figures from the resort managents. Despite the questioning of these figure, they are the only ones we have and as such must be accepted as valid. I was attempting to provide the only hard data that I have. Maybe now that we are at the tail end of the season, other Ikon / MC user can provide some of their own data and reasons for their skiing choices. I did not include any travel budget figures because those costs are incurred whether I buy a resort day pass or use a Ikon / MC. I didn't travel to get my cost down. That's what it worked out to. Most MC usage was at a few resorts - JH (8), Alta (4), Snowbird (4), and Snowbasin (3) with a quick side trip to Aspen, Colorado so I could resupply. This was all on one extended safari not multiple trips. So as far as carbon footprint goes; are you driving up every weekend from Santa Cruz to Kirkwood to use your season pass? Anybody that is not touring from their back door and spouting carbon footprint is being hypocritical. You say you use air travel elsewhere. I suppose that being in food service management makes you an expert on quality food or at least cafeteria food anyway. I still maintain that quality food can be had at any major N.A. resort. You did not provide any that do not. Dude! Hard facts and data.

So in the spirit of this thread - more data! I flew to JH with 3 friends. Two had Ikon passes, with the Ikon pass being their home mountian season pass also. I and one other have MC passes. We rode the tram 5 days and passed it 2 days. One person left and another came out (Ikon and Epic). We rode the tram 3 more days. Avi danger went high and I and one other fled to SLC. "Free" days AND snow conditions went into that decision. We also skied and paid at Powder Mountain.

Alpine Meadows does not have any quality food. There's a tiny little spot called Treats that's fine for breakfast, but other than it's just cafeteria shit. Same deal at a lot of N.A. resorts I've been to. Perhaps our definition of "quality" food is different, but I stand by the notion that the average can't hang with Europe's average. Things have certainly improved over the last 10 years, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    For the consumer an Ikon or MC is great. For the resort it's a win also.
    For you, so far.

Not so for others - day ticket purchases, Ikonic areas who don't give benefits to their season pass purchasers, those that enjoy quieter slopes....

Join or die isn't necessarily a good business model for the resorts or consumers. Neither is a duopoly.

How long do you think this "you get more for less" sales pitch can carry on? How long until independents are driven out of business? how long until one of the big players goes under and drags down dozens of resorts with it.

This is all going to end badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

Today at the really Big the Tram line was huge. Mostly Ikon passes. Chatted with several of them, they has all come up from JHMR and said the vibe down there was very aggro towards IKON.
    I noticed a bit of that in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Alpine Meadows does not have any quality food. There's a tiny little spot called Treats that's fine for breakfast, but other than it's just cafeteria shit. Same deal at a lot of N.A. resorts I've been to. Perhaps our definition of "quality" food is different, but I stand by the notion that the average can't hang with Europe's average. Things have certainly improved over the last 10 years, however.
    There is Dave's Deli at SV. Nothing special but I like the meatloaf and tuna sandwiches and the price is right and the $ isn't going to Alterra. That will be one nice thing about the SV to AM gondola (maybe the only nice thing)--you can hop over to Dave's for lunch when you ski AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I'd argue its the fat powder skis that have more to do with this than simply an increased # of skiers. Back in my day we had to slay the pow with 200cm skinny sticks, and it took SKILL and PRACTICE, dammit! <shakes fist at cloud>

And the goddamn internet. There are no more secrets anymore. Used to be you had to have someone show you around, or at least describe terrain and how to find it in a bar or something. <shaking intensifies>
    ^^^ major contributors ^^^
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thank you for a specific example. Glad it has been getting better over the last 10 years. I have never eaten at Alpine Meadows although I have skied there twice. Never maintained American food was better. Only that you can get quality food here. Sorry the Tahoe region is not representative. I have skied at a number of small European areas where the on mountain food was not of such high quality. So if one has a limited sample size the results are bound to be skewed. Besides for me snow quality out wieghs food quality. I'm going skiing not dining on the Amalfi coast.

Thank you for a specific example. Glad it has been getting better over the last 10 years. I have never eaten at Alpine Meadows although I have skied there twice. Never maintained American food was better. Only that you can get quality food here. Sorry the Tahoe region is not representative. I have skied at a number of small European areas where the on mountain food was not of such high quality. So if one has a limited sample size the results are bound to be skewed. Besides for me snow quality out wieghs food quality. I'm going skiing not dining on the Amalfi coast.
    Revelstoke has a one single tiny shack where you can buy chocolate bars or some sort of panini-press grilled cheese made by your classic 23-year-old mountain man with a plaid shirt, knitted toque, and a medium-sized beard that is stroked at what can only be considered an unhealthy frequency. Then you can sit on a bench and eat it. That is the extent of your on-mountain food options there.

The base has legit dining options though - are we counting those or only lift-accessed?

i love all this talk about resort food. i'll agree that usa resorts have mostly lame food offerings but i always bring my own so can't say i'm qualified to judge. but i'll never forget the time i skied from zermatt to cervinia for a fantastic pasta lunch served with chianti and a fantastic view of the matterhorn. and don't count out japan, had a great katsu curry in one of the cafeterias at nozawa onsen and a delicious bowl of tonkatsu ramen in that funky hotel at the base of cortina.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    i love all this talk about resort food. i'll agree that usa resorts have mostly lame food offerings but i always bring my own so can't say i'm qualified to judge. but i'll never forget the time i skied from zermatt to cervinia for a fantastic pasta lunch served with chianti and a fantastic view of the matterhorn. and don't count out japan, had a great katsu curry in one of the cafeterias at nozawa onsen and a delicious bowl of tonkatsu ramen in that funky hotel at the base of cortina.
    I mean it sounds awesome but doesn't that burn off an hour + of a ski day?

For me, PB&J sandwiches on the lift is the only way to go, anywhere. Eat later. Ski now.

For me, PB&J sandwiches on the lift is the only way to go, anywhere. Eat later. Ski now.
    your on vacation so got to live a little? and i'm old and can't ski a whole day bell to bell without a little break.

Some days it nice to do things differently.

Also would point out that hands down the best ski area food in North America is at an independent area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You must be young.

I generally need an hour break after a morning of hitting it hard. Then I generally spend the afternoon taking it easy.

Damn, I'm old.

On mountain or base village. I've never been to Revelstoke but I can highly recommend the peak restaurant at Kicking Horse or the base Lodge at Whitewater. Super good. Yep, these days I'm more often eating in the tram line then not.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Damn, I'm old.

Damn, you're old.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Damn, you're old.

Revelstoke has a one single tiny shack where you can buy chocolate bars or some sort of panini-press grilled cheese made by your classic 23-year-old mountain man with a plaid shirt, knitted toque, and a medium-sized beard that is stroked at what can only be considered an unhealthy frequency. Then you can sit on a bench and eat it. That is the extent of your on-mountain food options there.

The base has legit dining options though - are we counting those or only lift-accessed?
    Base counts. The restaurant at the bottom of Revelstoke was pretty decent IMO.

On mountain or base village. I've never been to Revelstoke but I can highly recommend the peak restaurant at Kicking Horse or the base Lodge at Whitewater. Super good. Yep, these days I'm more often eating in the tram line then not.
    Yeah, that restaurant at the top of the gondy at KH is legit. Some of the best poutine I've ever had. Great views from the bar too.

On mountain lunch today on the top of Les Arcs. Ridiculous scenery. I was a girl and ordered a salad because breakfast and dinner back at the hotel is buffet forever. This was the most spectacular setting I had lunch in, but not that much more than others this past few weeks. Two days ago I ate pasta perched on the side of LaPlagne staring at Courchavel across the massive valley.
    Today was about 50 Euros for two beers and two lunch dishes , the other a fish and cheese concoction that was awesome. Worth it.
    I never thought I'd spend a lot of time eating lunch, but, it's seductive, and a real enjoyable experience.

Nice Benny! I fear we will IKONize the Alps as well. Get it while you can! Can't be long before Denver invades France as well.

Pass prices are real fair.

Ha. My buddy here is from downtown Denver. First time for him, too. He's hooked.

yeah, that looks like it doesn't suck
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Most of that face in the first pic is tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Pass prices are real fair.

Ha. My buddy here is from downtown Denver. First time for him, too. He's hooked.
    Denver and it's local mtns are country bumpkins compared to the Alps. Winter Park being one of those poor little hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    On mountain lunch today on the top of Les Arcs. Ridiculous scenery. I was a girl and ordered a salad because breakfast and dinner back at the hotel is buffet forever. This was the most spectacular setting I had lunch in, but not that much more than others this past few weeks. Two days ago I ate pasta perched on the side of LaPlagne staring at Courchavel across the massive valley.
    Today was about 50 Euros for two beers and two lunch dishes , the other a fish and cheese concoction that was awesome. Worth it.
    I never thought I'd spend a lot of time eating lunch, but, it's seductive, and a real enjoyable experience.
    Wait a hotel buffet and you had to stop for lunch? No pocket meats? What gives? You hit the lottery?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app