Page 93 of 268 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 6685

Thread: Ikon Pass

I know that happens, but I don't do it. Personally I would love to see low beaver gate permanently shut down. Save that stuff for people hiking whenever it opens, instead of letting people put in dozens of traverse lines so they can get ten good turns. Besides, if stuff is closed for avy concerns, how is it safe to traverse right under it? Only traverse I can think of that makes sense at either place is reverse traverse, which wouldn't be necessary if Squaw would just run Headwall, and some of the short ones that go under stuff that doesn't make sense to ski or hike over or around.
    Now can we get back to bitching about how ikon is ruining skiing?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

^^^^^^ bingo.

At least y’all have gates. At KW, post Vail, the entire upper mountain becomes traversed out. At least this year it never froze up and we’d just get more snow. But if people skied fall line, bumps are way better than traverses in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I know that happens, but I don't do it. Personally I would love to see low beaver gate permanently shut down. Save that stuff for people hiking whenever it opens, instead of letting people put in dozens of traverse lines so they can get ten good turns. Besides, if stuff is closed for avy concerns, how is it safe to traverse right under it? Only traverse I can think of that makes sense at either place is reverse traverse, which wouldn't be necessary if Squaw would just run Headwall, and some of the short ones that go under stuff that doesn't make sense to ski or hike over or around.
    Now can we get back to bitching about how ikon is ruining skiing?
    Agreed on all points. I've never understood why patrol closes it so often but then lets everyone go underneath. I know sometimes the ridge is wind fucked and sketchy (remember that guy who went slipping down the other side a few years ago?) but it can't be that often. They must have their reasons.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 04-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They don't have the speed or skill to travel any further, they have run out of speed, and assume everyone has the same skill level as them and assume everyone else will also run out of speed in the same place. They are ofter surprised and confused to see someone pass them at that point with speed.
    My son and I were skiing the Vallee Blanche with a group of strangers, including a couple who had no business being there. Just before the Requin hut there was a traverse across a 45 degree very firm slope. There was a good but narrow track, slightly descending then slightly ascending. I was sweep, with the inept couple just in front of me. Both of them braked on the first part and got stuck. They were trying the herringbone up the second part while the poor guide managed to hold his edges on the slope below them and kept them from sliding off the track into the icefall below. I had the brains to wait until they had finally reached the end of the traverse and safe ground before I did the traverse. I got a lot of respect for the French guides that day (actually Simon was Spanish).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So that one example defines traverses all over the planet? Generally, he’s dead wrong... most of them are slightly downhill... because duh.

Squawlpine (my home resort) has more traverse lines than almost anywhere, FWIW.
    My son claims he can do Reverse Traverse with enough speed on the first part to make it up the second part on momentum, if no one is in his way. I don't believe him.

The reasons that patrol closes High Beaver and opens Low are a) the backside of Beaver is too icy--I've seen patrol back there cutting a traverse with axes, and as you know a young woman was killed back there trying to retrieve a dropped snow board, and b) on Low Beaver you are blocked by cliffs to you can't get to Estelle and points beyond until you are below the steep sections that patrol hasn't worked yet.

I'm with you guys--there should be one traverse line across the top of bowls like Sibo, Wolverine, South Face of Sherwood. The fan of traverse tracks across Wolverine in particular is appalling.

What does any of this have to do with IKON pass?

And Board--in the first place, when you put someone on your ignore list just do it and shut up about it, and in the second place, you haven't been here enough to ignore Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    8 days left to decide. My girl just turned 9. Still stops on traverses sometimes. We try to be good parents but shit is hard. Sorry world.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Folks who look under the age of 12, or gapers under 20 get a pass in my book. I try and keep a wide berth from kids, unless they rip in which case i try and stoke them up and cheer them on for ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My son and I were skiing the Vallee Blanche with a group of strangers, including a couple who had no business being there. I got a lot of respect for the French guides that day (actually Simon was Spanish).
    Was just there with my GF and her older parents. The guide took us a kinda wandering route just below the main icefall area and through a 100' long dip that went between ice about 3.5' wide. down then up. simple, all you had to do is roll in, and roll up an out. Well, my GFs dad proceeded to somehow stuff his tips in right at the flatbottom and eat shit. Now he is stuck at the flatbottom with not enough width to sidestep or herringbone up, and he cant take his skis off because it was more or less a snowbridge in there. The badass french guide (super humble dude that has some Cham first descents under his belt and has partnered with some big names before) just shakes his head and skis back in to the dip and somehow switch herringbones his way out while pulling the dad haha. he was like 5'7" 140lbs and 55 years old, the dad is 60 6'1" and 220lbs. I guess you gotta be really skilled and badass mountainer/skier with a whole lot of patience to be a Cham guide haha. Also, the dad ate shit into the back on my legs on the arete while we were descending, roped together. SMH.

AM will close the ridge line in spring if there is not a freeze overnight. Was told it was due to potential cornice failure with added weight of skier on top. Always made me concerned traversing under that.

Looking more likely we will go IKON. Teaching my son to stop on the traverse. We’ve got plans to fuck shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Looking more likely we will go IKON. Teaching my son to stop on the traverse. We’ve got plans to fuck shit up.
    It works best if your kid lays down in the middle of the traverse, and you pull out snacks for him to eat there. That's a great move.

If THIS last few pages of this thread is a result of the Ikon pass, then perhaps it IS ruining skiing.

What a bunch of puds, arguing about traverse etiquette. How about this for etiquette - don’t be an asshole to gapers in the traverse. And start another thread

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

What a bunch of puds, arguing about traverse etiquette. How about this for etiquette - don’t be an asshole to gapers in the traverse. And start another thread
    Yeah...well...no

This place was just about made on thread drift. It is pretty much where all the good stuff happens.

There used to be and still should be etiquette in skiing. Problem is that ski patrols, instructors and ski area management do just about zero to educate and enforce. So now we have ignorant gapers, asshole locals and everything in between adding friction where it doesn't need to exist.

Don't stop on the traverse. Don't pain train gapers stopped on the traverse. It shouldn't be so difficult but it is because many people these days act like entitled twats and don't for a second think that they should modify there behavior to accommodate someone else.

It is just modern society manifesting itself at the ski area. I wish it were different and I think the solutions are pretty easy but I ain't holding by breath waiting for change.

There never was etiquette that beginners and the uninitiated in the ways of the traverse knew about. Yelling at them on the traverse or online is both foolish and lacking common decency. It’s just another of life’s inconveniences. The world doesn’t owe you traverses free from gapers. Be nice and not so butthurt. Win

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I worry less about the people stopped on the traverse than I worry about people who suddenly decide to start again. And I'm with Kinnik on this one.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    There never was etiquette that beginners and the uninitiated in the ways of the traverse knew about. Yelling at them on the traverse or online is both foolish and lacking common decency. It’s just another of life’s inconveniences. The world doesn’t owe you traverses free from gapers. Be nice and not so butthurt. Win s
    But if yelling at them results in just ONE of them finally "getting it"... isn't it worth it? We OWE it to the gapers to berate them for fucking up the track. I mean, otherwise, they'll never not be a gaper. It's in their own interest.

sorry but about to pull the trigger on an ikon base. promo codes? or at least a site through which to purchase that has even any benefit (TGR, ski.com, etc)? thanks

There never was etiquette that beginners and the uninitiated in the ways of the traverse knew about.
    Bullshit. Firstly, The Code acknowledges it "You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.". Secondly, life is full of situations where what used to happen was when people were new to a scene, they'd try to observe the local protocols and fall into line (Golf, surfing, the grocery store...the list is endless). Thirdly, it used to be tought by ski schools and often signed on dangerous traverses.

I'm not talking about mellow traverses, I'm talking about steep cut in traverses where you generally can go around high and going around low means you are off the traverse. Think about places like piss pass on the high T or the blind corners on the Cirque Traverse.

Ski areas are pretty dangerous places and stopping on blind traverses is part of that. Keep your speed is how it is done.

But if yelling at them results in just ONE of them finally "getting it"... isn't it worth it? We OWE it to the gapers to berate them for fucking up the track. I mean, otherwise, they'll never not be a gaper. It's in their own interest.
    I'm not quite that harsh. I made a goal for myself to be 100% pleasant to everyone while skiing this years and didn't pretty well. That said, I do try to educate people on things like where to stop, let others know when to put the bar down etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm not quite that harsh. I made a goal for myself to be 100% pleasant to everyone while skiing this years and didn't pretty well. That said, I do try to educate people on things like where to stop, let others know when to put the bar down etc.
    You're a nice man.

I treat the gapers like my children - by yelling alot.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    It works best if your kid lays down in the middle of the traverse, and you pull out snacks for him to eat there. That's a great move.
    Awesome idea. We like to build a bench with our skis. Now we can pop them off and lay them right down on the traverse with a back rest built in. Bust out the thermos of hot cocoa and throw a can of beer in the snow to chill. Should pack it up and be out of the way in about 20 minutes.

No need to feel dirty or apologize.

If you don't live in/near a ski resort and you plan to get some days in at the larger areas why would you not buy a mega-pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

If you don't live in/near a ski resort and you plan to get some days in at the larger areas why would you not buy a mega-pass?
    Right? Makes me not want to leave near a ski area. Can I buy a 10 year IKON Pass? I can't help but laugh at the fact that I avoided some IKON resorts this winter as they were rumored to be too busy and I'm an IKON passholder.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Folks who look under the age of 12, or gapers under 20 get a pass in my book. I try and keep a wide berth from kids, unless they rip in which case i try and stoke them up and cheer them on for ripping.

Was just there with my GF and her older parents. The guide took us a kinda wandering route just below the main icefall area and through a 100' long dip that went between ice about 3.5' wide. down then up. simple, all you had to do is roll in, and roll up an out. Well, my GFs dad proceeded to somehow stuff his tips in right at the flatbottom and eat shit. Now he is stuck at the flatbottom with not enough width to sidestep or herringbone up, and he cant take his skis off because it was more or less a snowbridge in there. The badass french guide (super humble dude that has some Cham first descents under his belt and has partnered with some big names before) just shakes his head and skis back in to the dip and somehow switch herringbones his way out while pulling the dad haha. he was like 5'7" 140lbs and 55 years old, the dad is 60 6'1" and 220lbs. I guess you gotta be really skilled and badass mountainer/skier with a whole lot of patience to be a Cham guide haha. Also, the dad ate shit into the back on my legs on the arete while we were descending, roped together. SMH.
    There was one place on the VB where we crossed a knife edged snow bridge--maybe 18 in at its widest between two crevasses. The most nervous I've ever been on level ground. And the same bridge was there two years later.
    The guy in the couple I mentioned--older fellow, the weaker of the couple--was behind me on the arete. I had to forcefully drag him down. We were being passed by everyone going down--even by snowboarders in soft boots on the very firm snow. The guy asked to rest when we got to the bottom of the arete and we hadn't even put skis on yet, just walked down hill.

sheffy,

what say re; economic cursory dissertation re; current econ re; icon

keep it simple, i think it's a death cry myself.

lots more cool abandoned ski areas 10/15 from now?

In Canada, we are all very courteous and never stop on traverses.

Just re-upped my pass.

They really need to get a competent IT department. There are several prominent links to "Upload your photo" yet none of them actually works and takes you somewhere where there is a photo upload option (at least not if there is already a photo on the account). Want to change my daughter's photo to reflect what she actually looks like and can't.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

At Crystal we don't get a choice.. the season pass they sell is Ikon.

The re-upping felt dirty.

Attachment 278994
    [/QUOTE]

A line cutting "product"

Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........