Page 126 of 266 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    You morons don’t know what magnitude means.
    Name:  morans.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  39.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And, don't forget Europe. It can actually be a more affordable alternative if prices jack too high.
    You know... we should really try to suss out why this is the case.

Euro lift tickets: more affordable
    Euro lodging: more affordable
    Euro food: more affordable and WAY more delicious
    Euro transit: light years better

How is it that Europeans can do it... but we can't?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

I bet it's because they're hogging all the driverless cars technology

Somebody was talking about this on the lift today, how a lot of commercials are suddenly featuring bi racial couples and families, and gay people. You would think, huh, really? Scott Galloway explained it well to me, that it's all a result of our inequality. Basically, only the top ten percent of earners and then top five percent of substantial asset holders have any money, certainly positive equity, good credit, DISPOSABLE income. It's that bad, especially after the financial crash. So, marketers aren't dumb, (and the Ikon pass is nothing but a marketing vehicle), they buy billions worth of data, and know that the monied coast people who are mostly educated and liberal in thought are the best markets to advertise to. Everybody else doesn't count, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO MONEY. And it will get worse . I think that's sad, not some Podunk family ski hill going under. If you want to fix shit, fix that. Redistribute all the money to more people so more people can afford to ski. Get out of your bubble, people, most people are in debt and getting by. This isn't 1970 when an auto worker could afford to go skiing with the family.

Feel the Bern, to save skiing. Seriously. At least Warren

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I bet it's because they're hogging all the driverless cars technology

Somebody was talking about this on the lift today, how a lot of commercials are suddenly featuring bi racial couples and families, and gay people. You would think, huh, really? Scott Galloway explained it well to me, that it's all a result of our inequality. Basically, only the top ten percent of earners and then top five percent of substantial asset holders have any money, certainly positive equity, good credit, DISPOSABLE income. It's that bad, especially after the financial crash. So, marketers aren't dum, they but billions worth of data, and know that the monied coast people who are mostly educated and liberal in thought are the best markets to advertise to. Everybody else doesn't count, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO MONEY. And it will get worse . I think that's sad, not some Podunk family ski hill going under. If you want to fix shit, fix that. Redistribute all the money to more people so more people can afford to ski. Get out of your bubble, people, most people are in debt and getting by. This isn't 1970 when an auto worker could afford to go skiing with the family.

Feel the Bern, to save skiing. Seriously. At least Warren
    Commercials?

OK, Boomer.

That's because you kids can't afford cable.

Don't you have to live in a bubble to think Elizabeth Warren could get elected? (Not sure if my last post was deleted..)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Don't you have to live in a bubble to think Elizabeth Warren could get elected? (Not sure if my last post was deleted..)
    Maybe. But let's let the primaries unfold. Now it's pundit noise. Let the people speak. As I see it, the people like Bernie and Warren, and like Biden like America liked Hillary, but worse. We'll see.

I'd say I have a degree in physics, because I do. But my thesis adviser would be giving me mad shit right now for reading comprehension! Yes, 150 is only 15 x 10^1 and is only one order of magnitude larger than 15. I R DUM

Definitely was comparing 6000 to 15, like a dumbass.

Actually, come to think of it, my ol' adviser would probably call me a dumbass, laugh, then shout "good enough for government work" and we'd go get a beer. Fuck I miss that guy.

If you don't think the value passes are not a direct and intentional driver of higher day lift ticket prices, then you have no idea how the current model of pricing skiing actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    I'd say I have a degree in physics, because I do. But my thesis adviser would be giving me mad shit right now for reading comprehension! Yes, 150 is only 15 x 10^1 and is only one order of magnitude larger than 15. I R DUM

Definitely was comparing 6000 to 15, like a dumbass.

Actually, come to think of it, my ol' adviser would probably call me a dumbass, laugh, then shout "good enough for government work" and we'd go get a beer. Fuck I miss that guy.

Maybe you are smart but your post is with blue font on a blue background. Dumbass.

Maybe. But let's let the primaries unfold. Now it's pundit noise. Let the people speak. As I see it, the people like Bernie and Warren, and like Biden like America liked Hillary, but worse. We'll see.
    Jan. 21, 2020 at 5:43 p.m. MST

Odds are that you have not been following the recent libertarian dust-up over the merits of an Elizabeth Warren presidency. To give a brief recap: The main contenders were Will Wilkinson and Jerry Taylor of the “liberaltarian” Niskanen Center, who have been Warren-friendly to varying degrees; their opponents were colleague Samuel Hammond, along with Tyler Cowen of the more traditionally libertarian Mercatus Center, who touched off the whole debate with a withering critique of Warren’s policies.

A point-by-point exploration of their arguments would exceed the space allotted for this column by several thousand inches. But I think one can sum up the libertarian approach to Warren with a single question: How big a problem do you think billionaires, and the mega-successful corporations they helm, pose to the average American? Actually, come to think of it, I think that’s about how you’d sum up the question of Warren from any angle.

Which is why this debate ultimately matters to a lot more people than just some cranky libertarians: It speaks directly to a whole lot of young people who see that the economy doesn’t work for them the way it did for their parents and grandparents, and therefore conclude that somewhere along the way, the people it is working for — the barons of finance, the giants of Silicon Valley — must have rigged the system in their favor.

To be fair, they’re not entirely wrong. As Adam Smith once wrote, “People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.” Bankers and tech executives very much included. So I find myself nodding in agreement with Wilkinson — and, by extension, with the progressive base of the Democratic Party — when he says: “Warren’s general diagnosis of the problem — it’s a rigged system of anticompetitive rent-seeking enabled by insufficiently democratic and representative political institutions — is broadly similar to my own.”

Yet they’re not entirely right, either. Are big corporations, or billionaires, or banks, or tech giants, or health insurers and pharmaceutical firms — to name some of Warren’s favorite targets — really the reason that young people are struggling with enormous student loans? Are they the reason that millennial homeownership lags that of their parents? Are they the reason that recent college graduates are more likely than their elders to be underemployed? Have they driven the cost of health insurance to its current stratospheric levels?

Sure, Warren may be eager to sic her Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on your mortgage lender if you fall afoul of some obscure clause, but that’s not the problem for most Americans. They’re much more likely to struggle with finding affordable housing in prosperous cities. In fairness, Warren does have a plan to ease the zoning regulations that cause the shortage — but for some reason she rarely talks about it on the campaign trail, possibly because it’s constitutionally dubious, but more likely because it would alienate her affluent suburban base.

Similarly, Warren is eager to forgive student loans — a $1.6 trillion transfer to some of the most affluent members of society — but not to attack degree creep, which has walled off most of the best jobs for those who hold a bachelor of arts while enriching a lot of colleges. She targets insurers and drugmakers, but not the hospitals and medical workers who drive most of our health-care costs.

Too many of her proposals are like this; they focus on corporate villains or billionaires while ignoring the much broader class of people that Richard Reeves of the Brookings Institution dubbed the “Dream Hoarders” — the well-educated upper-middle-class people who are desperate to pass their privilege onto their kids, and are unhappy about the steadily mounting cost of doing so. They’re Warren’s base.

Unfortunately, the Dream Hoarders — and I include myself in their number — are a much bigger problem for the rest of America than the billionaires whose wealth Warren promises to expropriate. Those billionaires got that way by building companies that disrupted cozy local monopolies, and they fund coding camps for high-school dropouts; Dream Hoarders protect their professional licensing regimes and insist on ever more extensive and expensive educations in the people they hire. Dream Hoarders also pull every lever to keep their own housing prices high — and poorer kids out of their schools — while using their wealth to carefully guide their children over the hurdles they’ve erected.

Which may be why the best predictor of a neighborhood with a low degree of income mobility is not the gap between the top 1 percent and everyone else — the gap that Warren focuses on with all her talk of taxing billionaires — but the distance between the top quarter and the bottom. If you really want to unrig the system, you need to focus less on a handful of billionaires than on the iron grip that the Dream Hoarders have on America’s most powerful institutions — including, to all appearances, Elizabeth Warren’s campaign.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Same question wrapped in: universal health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Bitches want to bitch. Whether there is any sense to it or not.

It is doing both at the same time. It’s making skiing too affordable and driving huge crowds and it’s causing too few new skiers.

Pretty soon we’ll all have to hike for our turns because the whole model is collapsing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I imagine you're a reasonably smart person who can grasp complexity. but you seem to be trying very hard to not understand the basic arguments people are making, or to grasp that perhaps the situation you enjoy now is just a little too good to be true. it's a complex task to try and attract new skiers and to come up with pricing models for beginner lessons, passes, and things that encourage people to learn and grow into the sport while maximizing revenue, and I don't think a single critic of the megapass duopoly has said that eliminating ikon is a magic bullet to affordability for new skiers. just that the current situation is unsustainable on several levels, which also includes crowding at certain resorts at certain times. apologies if we didn't write flawless peer-reviewed treatises, but sir this is an internet forum.

enjoy the golden age of cheap megapasses for 20+ day skiers, because in 2021-2022, you're gonna lose some benefits at good resorts, and that's the way it should be. not a god damn duopoly of major resorts. and if I'm wrong about that, I'll lick the boots of every ikon passholder in the tramline on February 12, 2022. I don't say that lightly, because that's a lot of goddamn boots to lick (up to 75% of some tram cars last February)

but I'm probably just a transplant from Alabama who doesn't realize that i'd be out of work if it wasn't for the denver ikon crowd gallantly deigning to book mid-range lodging in my town.
    Last edited by LesterSmoove; 01-22-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo that made me look dumb

That's because you kids can't afford cable.
    I've been cable-free my entire Gen-X life, except for a brief stint in college when my roommates couldn't live without it...

Same question wrapped in: universal health insurance.
    Srsly - so people are saying we can't afford it... and yet *ITALY* can pull it off. WTF...

We can move this to another thread or PM if you want to continue (sorry to crowd this with politics) but my main worry with this thinking, is that it feels eerily similar to the last election. The only difference to me is that the left has accepted that Trump is capable of winning. They are still giving lots of people who have almost 0 chance to beat him a very good chance to be on the ballot against him. We could argue semantically about votes vs electoral college in terms of Hillary but Warren is clearly a much worse candidate to me. She's one of the least likable major candidates I've ever seen.

Living in DC, I run into A LOT of very "educated" people who clearly have 0 clue or interest in how a large portion of the rest of the country views things. This is true on the right as well but by and large, very few people actually consider or portray those folks as worth paying attention to. The DNC makes a daily practice of trumpeting the most tone deaf candidates they can find. I can't be the only one who would love to vote against someone like Donald Trump but wouldn't even consider voting for Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Maybe you are smart but your post is with blue font on a blue background. Dumbass.
    I agree, which is why I like Bernie over Warren. But Warren may be more, gag gag, choke, spit, more, eh, "electable".

Women, especially educated, working women, despise Trump. The ones I know won't even bring up the subject.

Srsly - so people are saying we can't afford it... and yet *ITALY* can pull it off. WTF...
    I know. And Denmark. I mean, wtf does Denmark matter in world trade? And, yet....

We can move this to another thread or PM if you want to continue (sorry to crowd this with politics) but my main worry with this thinking, is that it feels eerily similar to the last election. The only difference to me is that the left has accepted that Trump is capable of winning. They are still giving lots of people who have almost 0 chance to beat him a very good chance to be on the ballot against him. We could argue semantically about votes vs electoral college in terms of Hillary but Warren is clearly a much worse candidate to me. She's one of the least likable major candidates I've ever seen.

Living in DC, I run into A LOT of very "educated" people who clearly have 0 clue or interest in how a large portion of the rest of the country views things. This is true on the right as well but by and large, very few people actually consider or portray those folks as worth paying attention to. The DNC makes a daily practice of trumpeting the most tone deaf candidates they can find. I can't be the only one who would love to vote against someone like Donald Trump but wouldn't even consider voting for Warren.
    Well, problem #1, you live in DC.

<snip> I can't be the only one who would love to vote against someone like Donald Trump but wouldn't even consider voting for Warren.
    I mean... if this is the way you're thinking, please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't vote for Cheetolini. If you really can't vote for Warren, and she's the nominee... at least do a write in for "Steaming Pile of Shit" instead of Orange Foolius.

I mean... if this is the way you're thinking, please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't vote for Cheetolini. If you really can't vote for Warren, and she's the nominee... at least do a write in for "Steaming Pile of Shit" instead of Orange Foolius.
    Don't worry...there is zero chance I'd vote for Trump. I just get an impression the left kind of needs people on the same wavelength as me to beat him.

Well, problem #1, you live in DC.
    Definitely somewhat of a problem. If my job didn't provide so many opportunities to travel, meet diverse folks and overrun Ikonic Mountains, I'm not sure I could deal with it!

FWIW... at Sugarloaf, Maine a Boyne owned resort and Ikon Pass member last Thursday:

Walk up day rate ticket was $105.
    Online the night before day rate ticket was $89.
    My Ikon visit day rate ticket appears to have been $46.

I was a bit baffled when the nice old lady at the ticket counter handed me the receipt with what I can only assume discloses the rate that Ikon will re-imburse Boyne for my day of skiing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	705.3 KB 
ID:	311946  

Well, it was a Boyne resort so them letting that slip sounds about right.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"