Page 53 of 266 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Isn't PowMow owned by a bunch of douchey tech bros? I think I'd take Vail over that.
    Yep. They are creating their own utopia out there.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ch-millennials

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Yep. They are creating their own utopia out there.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ch-millennials
    oof, barf. There really aren't any undiscovered places anymore in the US

Edit again to say that article is so cringy, it almost ready like an Onion article. I retract my endorsement of powmow.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I dunno, I think you just need to put an anti-Ikon sticker on yer skis, it would change everything by next season.
    Nah, I left Park City when the hand writing was getting written on the wall and moved to Montana, that was in 1992.

I have been looking for the kick in the ass to get out of Bozeman and who knows, maybe this is it. I have been looking at some places that are less crowded for a couple of years. I don't really think I need a mega resort in my life to be content anymore. 25 years of 100+ days and the past 8 years of 50 days lead me to that conclusion. But thanks for the suggestion. While I am not happy about all the new found friends I still adhere to the adage, "don't be a dick".

Anecdotal Ikonicness: Last Sunday I was a little off the back for 10” overnight in LCC. Left Sugarhood at 7:35am, hit the snake at about the Swamp Lot. Google traffic showed red snake up Wasatch yo the mouth from there, but clear sailing from La Caille light and up 94th to the mouth.
    Slightly incredulous, I obeyed the robot overlords and veered off at the La Caille light and sure enough, cruised right up to about 200yds before the merge.
    The only thing I could think was the vast majority of those cars backed up the hill were Ikoners who had no idea about options B, C and D to get to the mouth.

I’ve heard some legit rumblings from Alta muckity-mucks about the Ikon pass. Huge numbers, but longtime pass holders are pissed. I’d expect fewer Alta Ikon days next year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Maybe if they just started running lifts 24-7 they could spread people out better.
    Crotched Mountain NH is the future and the present! Ride the Crotch!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I’ve thought about coming back but now it’s overrun!

Tried to go there last Wednesday and arrived at a completely road parked resort
    Yeah, road parking is becoming the norm, at least far more often than it was ever in the past. Last Wednesday was pretty insane, since LCC closed and everyone headed up BCC. You name it, long lines, aggro gapers and everything skied out almost instantly. Traverses were especially bad, full of clueless dolts stopped in the middle, and you know how SorryDude requires traverses to get to the goods. Got yelled at by some beater doofus snowboarder at Summit for calling out single. Sheesh

This past sunday was the first time I've ever thought "these crowds aint worth it" at the bird.

I got up early and got third chair on zoom, then waited for a minute at gad ii because there was some weird issue. They loaded us by like 9:15 though.

I got three good runs in and then it started to get crowded, and by 10:30 it was the busiest I have ever seen it at both zoom and gad ii. It's taken it from "oh, this is busy but doable" to "there are far too many people here" and it sucks, I love the bird and I am feeling like the character of it changed overnight and I really don't see what they will get out of it long term since most Ikon holders I talk to on the hill are staying in town.

What they’re getting, is skier visits. They could give a fuck about the experience, it’s all about skier visits.
    Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    This past sunday was the first time I've ever thought "these crowds aint worth it" at the bird.

I got up early and got third chair on zoom, then waited for a minute at gad ii because there was some weird issue. They loaded us by like 9:15 though.

I got three good runs in and then it started to get crowded, and by 10:30 it was the busiest I have ever seen it at both zoom and gad ii. It's taken it from "oh, this is busy but doable" to "there are far too many people here" and it sucks, I love the bird and I am feeling like the character of it changed overnight and I really don't see what they will get out of it long term since most Ikon holders I talk to on the hill are staying in town.
    That last part is what I assumed was happening. If you are a casual skiier in the valley area, why not have a pass and get 5 bird days 5 Alta days and unlimited soli days. Will definitely increase skiier visits but also will cannibalize existing day ticket sales, so how much benefit will it be financially ?

EDIT due to my lack of reading comprehension. Staying in town, not living in town. Got it. Carry on.....
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Duffman; 02-14-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Nah, I left Park City when the hand writing was getting written on the wall and moved to Montana, that was in 1992.

I have been looking for the kick in the ass to get out of Bozeman and who knows, maybe this is it. I have been looking at some places that are less crowded for a couple of years. I don't really think I need a mega resort in my life to be content anymore. 25 years of 100+ days and the past 8 years of 50 days lead me to that conclusion. But thanks for the suggestion. While I am not happy about all the new found friends I still adhere to the adage, "don't be a dick".
    Hey, I was just liking your direct action rather than just placing some passive-aggressive stickers on skis and just whining on the internet about things like others will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I’d expect fewer Alta Ikon days next year.

I'm expecting this from a bunch of crowded resorts. I could see Alta doing something different than SB though.

I really don't see what they will get out of it long term since most Ikon holders I talk to on the hill are staying in town.
    In another thread it was mentioned that each resort gets a significant amount of money for every Ikon visitor who skis. I'm sure SB is making quite a bit this year (despite a drop in day ticket sales due to Ikon purchases.) if they ain't, things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Yeah, road parking is becoming the norm, at least far more often than it was ever in the past. Last Wednesday was pretty insane, since LCC closed and everyone headed up BCC. You name it, long lines, aggro gapers and everything skied out almost instantly. Traverses were especially bad, full of clueless dolts stopped in the middle, and you know how SorryDude requires traverses to get to the goods. Got yelled at by some beater doofus snowboarder at Summit for calling out single. Sheesh
    The $379 college pass isn't helping things.

Agreed. I can put up with it being busy, but its getting to the point that if they don't have every lift spinning its barely skiable.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Agreed. I can put up with it being busy, but its getting to the point that if they don't have every lift spinning its barely skiable.
    Yeah, on Sunday I postponed the inevitable by heading to little cloud for a few laps but by 11 even little cloud was all-time with the line. I left by noon, I assume they got peruvian open in the afternoon but as you say unless every major lift is rolling the lines become day-breaking. And this is just since this past Jan, before 2019 I hadn't seen it like this ever. At this point the wife and I are just hoping that everyone has used their bird/alta days by the spring time because with this snowpack I hope the bird stays good through may and that the crowds at least taper off for spring skiing.

On the plus side, this weekend the wife and I are going to powmow for the first time ever (only wasatch resort I haven't been to) to try to get away from the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Mt. Bachelor
    Bridger Bowl
    Brighton (all of the Boyne Resorts)
    Mt. Hood Meadows

Key is that most of those are not destination resorts.
    110%.

Can only speak for bachelor and Meadows personally, but locals pay the bills (more so at Mt hood, because there's no incentive for non-locals to ski there), so I don't see the need for them to get in bed with a mega pass. Still crowded AF and feels more crowded every year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

45 minute lift lines at Alta are ridiculous (that was midweek 1978).

Theoretically the IKON pass should encourage people to take more ski trips. The great majority of people who buy IKON passes will obviously be people at the unlimited destinations, like Squalpine--people who in years past bought local passes. If these people are traveling more there should be fewer people skiing at SVAM on any given day. It's possible that more IKONs were sold to SVAM skiers than regular season passes in previous years, but I doubt it, since the IKON costs more and the cheapest midweek passes were eliminated. So all in all SVAM should be less crowded--an increase in skier traffic at places like Altabird should be matched by a decrease at SVAM. In fact, SVAM has been at least as crowded this year. The point is--I don't think it's the IKON pass that is primarily responsible for the perceived increased masses people are complaining about.
    Last edited by old goat; 02-15-2019 at 08:24 AM.

I heard 34% of Bird visits overall this year have been ikon. That was from one of the mountain hosts who I rode the lift with, no idea if it's accurate but I see a whole lotta people with their ikon passes on a lanyard worn around their neck. At any rate, all of my east coast friends bought the Ikon and it's cool that it's bringing them out to visit at least.

Pretty sure that the base Ikon is cheaper than any other central wasatch season pass too. So if you normally skied the 'tude, it made more sense to buy the Ikon this year (if you can handle the blackouts).

Maybe there's not more people, there's just more people complaining.

I’m here for IKON acronyms. Not seeing any.

I’m here for IKON acronyms

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I’m here for IKON acronyms. Not seeing any.
    Imbeciles Keen on Out-Numbering

I Knock Over Novices

Intermediates Krowdin' On N*ggaz

Intermediates Krowdin' On N*ggaz
    Intermediates Krowding Out Natives.

Intermediates Krowding Out Natives.
    We have a leader in the clubhouse...

Infinte Krowds; Ornery Natives

Infinte Krowds; Ornery Natives
    A winner right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........