Page 119 of 268 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 6693

Thread: Ikon Pass

But then there's also choices. Staying at Alta could mean 24-48 hour interlodge, while down in the city allows you movement to other hills, and Ikon gives you a lot there.

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    But then there's also choices. Staying at Alta could mean 24-48 hour interlodge, while down in the city allows you movement to other hills, and Ikon gives you a lot there.
    A 24-48hr interlodge is a pretty rare event, and I want to say there hasn't been one that long jn years. Yes the road can close, but if you are staying at the GMD and the road closes, as long as you don't have a flight to catch where else would you want to be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1572795652.786628.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	300732

Edit: I should mention that after this picture I was interodged at the GMD for 5 hours after they called last chair at 12:15. But that was 3 hours of the deepest skiing of my life, and again, if I was staying there it would 't have even mattered.

Alta/Bird are awesome but I have never had the budget to stay up there. Aren't dorm beds 200$ at GMD vs 50ish at Hostelx. Or a quad/king room at Hostel X for 150ish.

Those Alta bed prices are for dentists no? I know they feed you but I can make sandwiches and cook up dehydrated stroganoff at hostelx for a fraction the price.

In Utah with our budget we'd rather get a room for 3 or 4 at the Hyatt in the valley for $120 which isn't the same as staying in Teton Village or at altabird.

No arguing the skiing is phenomenal both places. Jackson gets baked out more though especially late season with the exposure on a lot of aspects which means it often doesn't ski as big as it is. And my wife would rather stay in Jackson at the Cowboy Village with our dog than at a tiny HostelX room at our budget if all 4 of us go (I lost the argument for this coming March anyway).

So in the end...I got nothing except man and son with Ikon on budget with no car + HostelX = fuck yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, there aren’t many better things in life than being “stuck” at Alta when the road doesn’t open. Making turns in 30” of blower is a good time to meet some fellow mags as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Yeah, there aren’t many better things in life than being “stuck” at Alta when the road doesn’t open. Making turns in 30” of blower is a good time to meet some fellow mags as well.
    It's never happened to me, but this is always the dream.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    PM me if you want a shack tour.

Attachment 300563
    Attachment 300564

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks, if the stars align, I'll hit you up.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Thanks, if the stars align, I'll hit you up.
    Too funny, been texting back and forth with a buddy I used to live/patrol with. She and her hubby live in ME and are looking at using their IKON passes in January.

Mini BS/EC summit?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Alta/Bird are awesome but I have never had the budget to stay up there. Aren't dorm beds 200$ at GMD vs 50ish at Hostelx. Or a quad/king room at Hostel X for 150ish.

Those Alta bed prices are for dentists no? I know they feed you but I can make sandwiches and cook up dehydrated stroganoff at hostelx for a fraction the price.

Yeah I had no idea dorm beds were that kind of $$.

Jhyatt - My 2cents. Three-week road trip last year from Seattle February/March with 16-year old and 19-year old sons for various parts. Hit Alta/snowbird/solitude/deer valley/jackson/and big sky. In Utah we stayed in cottonwood heights in an airbnb. Had entire basement to ourselves with three bedrooms, chilled host who has skied and worked at snowbird practically her whole life who gave us a tour of the mountain on her day off, we made her a great dinner for the effort, and it was about $80 a night. We were able to make all our own food and it was all about the skiing. Definitely a great way to go, don't get the "ski town experience," but the mountains were why we were there.

Luckily leaving SLC got to Jackson in a day drive after the five feet of snow fell. Just a few days later the skier triggered the avalanche on the pass. Never stayed up at the mountain proper, we stayed in town at Marriot Springhill Suites. Pricier, I think it was about $150 a night, but it came with pool, hot tub, free breakfast bar/coffee, three beds, and shuttle to the mountain and back. The morning lines at Jackson were CRAZY, but the skiing was phenomenal. We were skiing the hobacks and holy shit never skied inbound pillows like that. Crazy good. Back in Jackson you have a real mountain town, shops, etc. Cool thing about Jackson is that you can also take a day to do your own wildlife tour right out of town - just drive down some back roads in the park. We saw a bunch of moose, a wolf, elk, a really cool experience that you and your kid would love. Jackson is awesome.

Finally, Big Sky is steep. Only there a couple days. Stayed in Bozeman, I forget where, but cool town, great food and drinks. A bit of a drive though to and from mountain. Would not want to do in a storm. Not really a ski town at the mountain, a few lodges, but taking the gondola to the top is quite the experience (and can be a long wait, so do it first thing). Really sustained steeps. Cool mountain that will challenge you.

I will definitely go back to big sky, need to hit the huts, but I'll probably be heading back to Snowbird/Alta and Jackson first. Longwinded but my recommendation is that if you want ski town to go with your bad ass skiing go to Jackson, if you want a potentially cheaper option without the ski town to go with your bad ass skiing go to Utah. If you go to Big Sky stay at the mountain.

Fuckin' sweet, we are damn near arguing pleasantly where he should go. Too funny...

Lots of good input too, I'd not dissuade him from AltaBird or The Big.

Planning and hoping for an interlodge is a good way to jinx that potential. The locs hope and pray for it. Planning a Father/son trip around it is incredibly short sighted.
    ~~~~~~~

Ugly$$$$- Holy what the mother****ing what? Yer staying at the cabins?!!!

Thems about 100 feet from the House of 420; We need to connect. Look for the Green light...
    ~~~~~~~

Big Sky Mags, I'd like to sign up early for one o' them thar hut tours.

Last time I was in that hut, you guys stopped puffing and made me finish it all by my lonesome. I was silly baked and just the pic makes me giddy. Man was I ripped. Getting outta the chair was a challenge. Really comfy hut, Btw; Killer views too.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    ~~~~~~~

Ugly$$$$- Holy what the mother****ing what? Yer staying at the cabins?!!!

Thems about 100 feet from the House of 420; We need to connect. Look for the Green light...
    ~~~~~~~
    Fer sure. I am easy to spot. I'll be the bearded guy on the cabin porch riddled with ON3P's and iskipow plates even though I usually just ski ice. Also probably blaming my pesky ACL'd knee for all my life's ills (old man's club) and pretending positive thought and IPA's will fix it all

Anybody going to Big Sky might check out the new Wilson Hotel in the town center. Two queen room not crazy expensive, like 200 a night plus/minus. Then you are down in the meadow which is preferable to staying on the mountain in terms of stuff to do and places to eat. Fifteen minute drive to the mtn or take the free shuttle.

^^^ Buddy of mine stayed there this summer and paid it with miles from one of his cards, not stupid expensive, excellent location, nice hotel.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fer sure. I am easy to spot. I'll be the bearded guy on the cabin porch riddled with ON3P's and iskipow plates even though I usually just ski ice. Also probably blaming my pesky ACL'd knee for all my life's ills (old man's club) and pretending positive thought and IPA's will fix it all

Outstanding! Snake river brewing is what, 3 blocks from the cabins? In a straight line, too.
    I have 1 new ACL and a little less Quad tendon since 6.5 months ago. Less Meniscus too. We should be just about riiight.
    Look forward to meeting you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is the Wilson Hotel convenient to the Weed triangle? That's good livin' right there now...
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-03-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: $180 oz's, any flavor. In the Triangle...

Very true, but even though parts of it are inconvenient, everyone should experience immediate post-interlodge while staying in LCC at least once in their ski career. Especially a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

THANK YOU for all of the awesome discussion! And the offers to show us around and get my teenage son high (I think for the first time).

Just bought tix with my voucher for SLC. The flights just work so well, leave in the afternoon and arrive midnight, go sleep, ski the next day. Ski 4 days, then the last day take a flight at midnight. So I will check GMD, which would be 3 nights (stay first night down at canyon mouth). i did this last trip. It was awkward getting naked and cleaning up with baby wipes and changing in the bag storage room in the lobby of the GMD, but worth it!
    I have a 1 hour switch in Newark, hope the skis make it. Otherwise we rent until they arrive. I will carry on ski clothes. I got the super cheap flight with no carry on, but will try to carry on ski boots. if they fuss, I will just put them on and walk on to the plane wearing them! FU! United can drag me off like that guy they pulled off the plane and got the bad PR.
    Otherwise, would love to hear suggestions on where to stay. I am thinking to just ski altabird 4 days. I don't mind taking the UTA bus, but you could save me some research but suggesting a cool place where we could walk on to the bus easily. I think it's free with an IKON? Is it free with a multiday ticket?

I am super stoked to hike mt baldy with my boy and ski that chute.

EDIT: any 'discount codes' for GMD out there?? it's 500/night including dinner and breakfast, but 12% discount for returning guests, but holy shit a 17% room tax. peruvian is booked. I would love to stay in LCC. i think those are the cheapest options.
    Last edited by jhyatt; 11-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.

^^^ No GMD discount code but your best winter rate is going to be the weeks/weekends after New Year and before MLK. Better yet, come in April and pay way way less and if it's not a pow day you have the best chances all season of Baldy being open!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    Staying at Alta could mean 24-48 hour interlodge,
    The last 24+ hour interlodge was one spring day in 2011 and before that, The second to last 24+ hour interlodge was in 2006 or earlier.

If you're the type of person who likes to stay at the GMD you are almost certainly the type of person who will be so jacked up about this sort of thing you won't even care that you missed ski time while Deer Valley was open.

Does the breakfast buffet get hammered early during an inter-lodge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Does the breakfast buffet get hammered early during an inter-lodge?
    It's usually actually a little less terrible on interlodge mornings because you know they aren't going to even open the doors til after 8:30 so there's no need to rush to eat at 7 to get in line by 7:45 or 8. If you talk to the right guy at the front desk he might even be able to help you out with alternative but equally delicious breakfast options.

https://www.parksolitude.com $150 season pass
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Plainly I am Pro smoke/stoke but I would never intro a kid. That's for you and/or him to decide. I'd join ya though. Enjoy the Wasatch, that's top shelf skiing no doubt.

I say wear the boots at the start, take them off for security/TSA scanner, then back on. Pics pleez. I would applaud you if I saw that. Hilarious.

Serious question for the dentists. GMD@$500 a night for 2 includes the buffet and what else? Hookers and blow?

I just don't see the value for non dentist types. A 1 percent chance of interlodge? Educate me. I'd love to stay up there but...no.

Shoot, compared to that the Snowaddict91 B+B will seem like a bargain!

JHyatt, what dates will you be here? Would be happy to show you guys around the Bird. If you are already staying in the canyon, I'd just plan to ski Alta/Bird all 4 days and not worry about going elsewhere. Plenty of terrain to keep you busy!

Serious question for the dentists. GMD@$500 a night for 2 includes the buffet and what else? Hookers and blow?

I just don't see the value for non dentist types. A 1 percent chance of interlodge? Educate me. I'd love to stay up there but...no.

Yes hookers and good Peruvian flake. I also took a dump in my room midday with my ski boots on. I might have spanked a load,too.
    I stayed there once in a shared room. I was solo and it was like 159 including a great dinner, apres ski buffet and breakfast. I didn't need a car or anything so it starts to make sense.
    With 2 people it makes less sense.
    I am thinking to spend 1 or 2 nights and then the rest down.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Shoot, compared to that the Snowaddict91 B+B will seem like a bargain!

JHyatt, what dates will you be here? Would be happy to show you guys around the Bird. If you are already staying in the canyon, I'd just plan to ski Alta/Bird all 4 days and not worry about going elsewhere. Plenty of terrain to keep you busy!
    I'm heading out over the week of March 22. Oddly, the snowaddict B+B is not showing up on the expedia hotel search...