Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2685

Thread: Ikon Pass

  1. #2301
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4829.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	975.5 KB 
ID:	278523
    today was deep ikon was out
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  2. #2302
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,494

  3. #2303
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    780
    A-Basin on mountain collective next season is a real possibility

    https://businessden.com/2019/04/11/a...AHtgU8hs7ptWLo

  4. #2304
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Exactly. Crowd-wise Ikon is more of a raw deal for westerners at the resorts with good terrain with all of us easterners coming out (and with westerners traveling to sample the "best" places). Sorry, but if I can't beat 'em, I'll join 'em. I do promise not to stop in the hikes or traverses and certainly not sideslip or otherwise cunt up the skiable lines. Let's call it "Ikon respect locals".
    I got on a traverse on saturday - one I can easily take the entire way out without stopping.

    I had to stop 4 times because the people in front of me kept just sorta.... stopping. The first time I asked them nicely to not stop in the traverse but by the end I was definitely just cursing under my breath. I've had so many people yell at me for "not watching out" and "skiing over their tips" on traverses this year and it's so fuckin frustrating. Would you stop dead on the freeway? Then move the fuck to the side before you stop, or at least check behind you.

  5. #2305
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,247
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    A-Basin on mountain collective next season is a real possibility

    https://businessden.com/2019/04/11/a...AHtgU8hs7ptWLo
    Unpossible! MC is dying a slow death.

  6. #2306
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,621
    Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    I got on a traverse on saturday - one I can easily take the entire way out without stopping.

    I had to stop 4 times because the people in front of me kept just sorta.... stopping. The first time I asked them nicely to not stop in the traverse but by the end I was definitely just cursing under my breath. I've had so many people yell at me for "not watching out" and "skiing over their tips" on traverses this year and it's so fuckin frustrating. Would you stop dead on the freeway? Then move the fuck to the side before you stop, or at least check behind you.
    People have been stopping on traverses forever, long before IKON. Rumor has it that the Vikings rescuing the young prince on skis were slowed down by gapers on snowshoes, but managed to save the baby. Why do you think they were carrying the axe?
    Name:  vikings.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  120.9 KB
    BTW mastering the step up and around someone stopped on a traverse without losing speed is an essential skiing skill. Dragging a pole tip across them is optional. If you need inspiration watch a Stanley Cup game.

    This thread seems to have become a repository of everything people don't like about skiing.

  7. #2307
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    I got on a traverse on saturday - one I can easily take the entire way out without stopping.

    I had to stop 4 times because the people in front of me kept just sorta.... stopping. The first time I asked them nicely to not stop in the traverse but by the end I was definitely just cursing under my breath. I've had so many people yell at me for "not watching out" and "skiing over their tips" on traverses this year and it's so fuckin frustrating. Would you stop dead on the freeway? Then move the fuck to the side before you stop, or at least check behind you.
    "bad place to stop" as i go by, usually accidentally tapping them with my trailing pole. Why is it not common instinct to get out of the path of travel when stopped? First thing i do when i blow up skiing or MTBing is instinctually gather my shit and crawl/roll off the main path or to a safe spot where i then collect my wits and do inventory on my body. My GF who has skied 20+ day/year since 3 years old still stops in bad places and gets pissed when i tell her to take a few sidesteps up off the traverse, or get out from under the roller/cliff if she wants to chat.

  8. #2308
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This thread seems to have become a repository of everything people don't like about skiing.
    You mean snowboarders? Most of those fuckers can't traverse worth a damn and sideslip the shit out of the steep tight lines.

  9. #2309
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    You mean snowboarders? Most of those fuckers can't traverse worth a damn and sideslip the shit out of the steep tight lines.
    Snowboarders are pretty good at it but they dont own it completely
    I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.

  10. #2310
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,289
    IMO, snowboarders are more aware of getting out of the way when stopped on traverses than skiers. At least at Squaw / Alpine. YMMV.

  11. #2311
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Why is it not common instinct to get out of the path of travel when stopped?
    They don't have the speed or skill to travel any further, they have run out of speed, and assume everyone has the same skill level as them and assume everyone else will also run out of speed in the same place. They are ofter surprised and confused to see someone pass them at that point with speed.

  12. #2312
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,111
    The irony here is I'm pretty sure boredtodeath is a snowboarder. And yeah, my snowboarder friends definitely aren't the ones clogging traverses 99% of the time.

  13. #2313
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    3,029
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B4E8384-1487-440D-8A12-0E50501402CB.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	278641

  14. #2314
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    1,422

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They don't have the speed or skill to travel any further, they have run out of speed, and assume everyone has the same skill level as them and assume everyone else will also run out of speed in the same place. They are ofter surprised and confused to see someone pass them at that point with speed.
    Pretty much it. Not many traverses in the east so many of the "one trip out west every few years folks" are not used to them. My first few times I was scared shitless, especially when there are those loopy bumps and people buzzing by. I don't think they assume everyone will run out of speed, more like self preservation. Speaking for a gaper friend here

  15. #2315
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    My first few times I was scared shitless, especially when there are those loopy bumps and people buzzing by.
    You need to double some of those whoops, and suck some of them up. Just don't get them mixed up.

  16. #2316
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,828
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The irony here is I'm pretty sure boredtodeath is a snowboarder. And yeah, my snowboarder friends definitely aren't the ones clogging traverses 99% of the time.
    That's because you can't traverse a decent distance on a board.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  17. #2317
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    yet some of them can so others follow
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  18. #2318
    Vets's Avatar
    Vets is online now Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Topaz, NV
    Posts
    3,601

  19. #2319
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    1,139

  20. #2320
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,196
    What's all this traverse talk? Fall line, you fuckin gapers!
    I really lack the words to compliment myself today. - Alberto Tomba

  21. #2321
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    81
    Yes I am usually on a board, and I definitely don't have any trouble accessing knucklehead, high saddle, or any other snowbird front side stuff one bit because I'm not a dumbass and know how to hold my speed.

    It's almost always middle aged skiers at the bird clogging the traverses, and I'm sure it's not just Ikonics. I can't step up and around them on the board, so I try to ollie around them but sometimes I just have to pull off and let the other skiers behind me pass and deal with the slowpokes up front. Often, I scope out the gates and wait until there has been a few minutes of nobody entering, specifically so I can actually make it where I am going. I promise you I ain't holding anybody up on traverses. I gtfo of the way if I need to stop.

    It took my eastcoast friends a couple runs to get used to all the traversing in the wastach but they can handle it with ease now. I usually yell "bad place to stop" as I go past people, but oh man - one time on mid baldy there was a dude with his toddler daughter and they were just totally standing in the traverse before an uphill corner. I shouted to him "heads up, bad place to stop" and the guy fucking went off on me. THIS IS MY DAUGHTER HOW DARE YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH. He stood his ground on the traverse and I had to stop right next to him. I was like "hey man I am telling you for your own safety, she may well get run over if you're around this corner and stopped, keep your head on a swivel and please step off the traverse if you're gonna gape it up over here."

  22. #2322
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,828
    I call bullshit. You aren't traversing, you're going ever so slightly down hill.

    I have never seen a snowboarder in the middle of the East wall at ABasin. Can't get there

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  23. #2323
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,289
    Benny, just stop. You sound foolish. Most traverses are slightly downhill - especially the longer ones - so you can keep your momentum going.

  24. #2324
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Benny, just stop. You sound foolish. Most traverses are slightly downhill - especially the longer ones - so you can keep your momentum going.
    Benny's generally right as far as the lower East Wall traverse. I've seen a small handfull of boarders on it. I don't recall many (any?) getting as far as Willy's, however. They usually turn downhill where a skier has to do a bit of polling.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  25. #2325
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,828
    Yup. All they can hope for is the rock garden. Even then, needs skills.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •