Page 49 of 268 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Its right next to that rock that is just barely covered.

'Warning, early season obstacles may exist."

I stay out of the trees until we have a pretty substantial base, and that base has a chance to compact well. It's always temping, but to many bad consequences waiting to happen.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’d rally up to Aspen for this or next weekend. Highlands has the Bowl, Temerity and Steeplechase open.
    Ajax has Walshes, Bell, Glades and the Dumps. The skiing is outstanding.
    Next weekend has a band for the new Base Village opening at Snowmass. Nathanael Ratliff is playing the Belly Up.
    The brand new Limelight has a special $159/night.
    Itching to pull the trigger, but going to wait until Sunday to decide where to go next weekend. But Aspen/Snowmass is on the radar. Just want to get a better idea on the forecast. Looks like 7 day plus outlook is wishy washy for CO area. Meanwhile Crystal Mtn, WA might be the place to be next week.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Can we keep all our IKON ranting and ravings in here? I feel like there is some good hate getting lost in the regional super threads. I need to know proper lanyard protocol before I hit the road with the green plates and douche up the place.

Icon pass and Alta/Snowbird benefits

Does anybody know what the benefit is to Alta/Snowbird accepting the icon pass? I don't know what percentage of people at the resort are actually Icon pass holders, but it seems like half the people I talk to on the lift are there because of the pass. Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?

Maybe they're counting on them sleeping in the hotels and buying food, but it just seems like to me it's just making the traditional pass holders mad because it's so crowded.

I dunno. I don't get why they did it and really hope they stop it. I get that we get to go to a few extra resorts every year, but honestly, I find myself just wanting to go up to Alta/Snowbird rather than the other resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Does anybody know what the benefit is to Alta/Snowbird accepting the icon pass? I don't know what percentage of people at the resort are actually Icon pass holders, but it seems like half the people I talk to on the lift are there because of the pass. Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?

Maybe they're counting on them sleeping in the hotels and buying food, but it just seems like to me it's just making the traditional pass holders mad because it's so crowded.

I dunno. I don't get why they did it and really hope they stop it. I get that we get to go to a few extra resorts every year, but honestly, I find myself just wanting to go up to Alta/Snowbird rather than the other resorts.
    Did you see the letter from Alta's GM? Below. Sheds a little light:

When we were presented with the opportunity to become a partner in the Ikon Pass, we intentionally crafted our involvement to preserve the quality of the ski experience at Alta. We recognized that if the current ski areas in the Ikon Pass program in Utah (Alta, Snowbird & Deer Valley) were included on an unlimited basis, we would have more days when the demand would be greater than the available terrain, which would derogate the Alta experience. Consequently, we worked with Snowbird to craft our involvement in the Ikon product to preserve the quality of the ski experience at Alta by limiting visitation by Ikon pass holders to 7 or 5 days in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

With over half of our skier visits currently coming from out of state, we determined that involvement as a partner in the Ikon Pass was important for us to generate sufficient revenues to remain competitive and sustainable in the ski industry.

The Ikon Pass is not intended to be a replacement for Alta season pass products. Alta’s 2018-2019 season pass products will remain very similar to what we offered this season and will provide Alta season pass holders with unlimited skiing on the “Greatest Snow on Earth”, the Wasatch Benefit and the 50% discount on lift tickets at Mountain Collective destinations.

We are pleased to be included in a pass that provides access to the most iconic mountains in North America. We will monitor the impact of our involvement in the Ikon Pass program and make changes if we see significant negative impact on the Alta ski experience.

Thank you for being Alta supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Can we keep all our IKON ranting and ravings in here? I feel like there is some good hate getting lost in the regional super threads. I need to know proper lanyard protocol before I hit the road with the green plates and douche up the place.
    did this last week. when in jackson I felt the need to apologize or shamefully admit i was an ikon pass holder on a few occasions. in utah i felt like i just blended in with the crowd. I totally understand the frustrations with some of these mountains getting completely overcrowded from this pass but like what can you do, ya know?

I chuckle at the guys that double down by putting the huge yellow IKON sticker on their helmet.

The Rocky Mountain resorts have always made most of their money from out-of-town skiers and riders. You buy a ticket or a pass you have the same right to be there as anyone else. People who complain about the crowds need to remember they are just as much a part of the crowd as everyone else. Locals need to remember that if it weren't for those visitors they wouldn't be able to be locals. Around here the biggest crowds are on big powder days--and not just on weekends. If you want to blame anything blame fat skis--now every skier is a powder skier.

True

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The Rocky Mountain resorts have always made most of their money from out-of-town skiers and riders. You buy a ticket or a pass you have the same right to be there as anyone else. People who complain about the crowds need to remember they are just as much a part of the crowd as everyone else. Locals need to remember that if it weren't for those visitors they wouldn't be able to be locals. Around here the biggest crowds are on big powder days--and not just on weekends. If you want to blame anything blame fat skis--now every skier is a powder skier.
    I blame Rob Story.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Partner Ikon Pass resorts get $X amount of dollars everytime a customer scans their Ikon Pass. The partner resorts also get to acquire that customer's information which can be used for future marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?
    Lol @ this question.

No idea how to post images but someone needs to insert Old Man Simpson yells at crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Nope.

My home resort has been getting busier over the past 5-7 years but Montana is growing and the area has been investing in lift upgrades and marketing.

That said the changes that have occurred this season in terms of numbers and crowding (1st season for IKON) are beyond noticeable.

It may be the future, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. And as for "around here", I don't live "around there" for a very good reason.

Same, I’ve been here quite a few years through big and lean years. This season is a big year and I’d expect it to be busy. But...

The tram line has been regularly doing things not seen before, full maze indoors, quad extended maze around the building, back to the plaza and working up the new walkway. The Saturday of MLK weekend it went up the stairs of the new walkway and headed towards the Cliff Lodge. I shudder to think what it’s going to do this weekend.

It’s a slog up the canyon even on days without snow or closures. We have road parking from entry one to entry four by 10:00. The canyon is stuffed full of cars (mine included).

Combine all of that with a big snow year and limited terrain openings and you have a diminished locals experience. I myself have wanted to leave this place for a while, and seasons like this just hasten the process.

I'm sure the ski resorts on these Epic/Ikon/Mountain Collective passes love the ancillary revenue from food and bev sales, not to mention lessons, rentals and lodging. I suppose the resorts can always start jacking up the prices to find out where the price limit is. I'm guessing it's got room to go up, as Americans got lots of discretionary cash in their pockets to spend on vacations, big gas guzzling SUV's and new ski/recreational gear on an annual basis.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

A crowded day for a resort is much better than an uncrowded day. They don't really care if you wait a little longer for the tram. If you leave, there's always someone else to take your place. They may lose some of the hard cores, but they'll replace them with 2 Insta kids looking for their "experience" or "adventure" to share with their followers.

fuck the ikon pass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuck-the-ikon-pass.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	269483
    Last edited by getoutside; 02-13-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    fuck the ikon pass

Name:	fuck-the-ikon-pass.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	269483
    Whole hearted agreeance.

Name:	IMG_20190126_163255859_HDR.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	833.4 KB 
ID:	269484
    Fuck you IKON

All I can hope is that Alta GM Mike Maughan meant it when he said:

We are pleased to be included in a pass that provides access to the most iconic mountains in North America. We will monitor the impact of our involvement in the Ikon Pass program and make changes if we see significant negative impact on the Alta ski experience.

Yea, loads of negative impact for sure

I agree that it sucks to have previously quiet ski areas get over run. That said, I don't think questionable economic analysis is gonna change anything.

a. I can't think of any other private business that people stake so much of there lives on as a ski area. It is still a business.

b. What is the "revenue per skier day" of the average local passholder? +/- $20? We ain't exactly keeping the lights on either.

c. I think there is a "I'm never gonna get more skiing in my life for less money" attitude about year one IKON. I know that is how I feel.

d. None of us have any idea about how many IKON passes don't get used and the revenue associated with that. My neighbor in marketing for Alterra explains it like, "day tickets sell skiing, season passes sell the idea of skiing". So when doing your economic analysis, don't forget about all the people sitting around the pool in August talking about going to SLC, Jackson and Big Sky that never go.

e. You better figure out when Denver Public Schools and Jeffco School spring break is. Literally hundreds out thousands on IKON pass holders will be unleashed across the mountain west.

I’ve meet a bunch Ikon pass holders that had never been to Aspen before. Apparently it’s working, but there still aren’t any lift lines.
    Tons of lift capacity, relatively remote location and expensive lodging, must be the reasons.

I had dinner in Base Village last night and the place is deserted.
    Only place busy was the new Limelight, which is owned by the Skico.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I agree that it sucks to have previously quiet ski areas get over run. That said, I don't think questionable economic analysis is gonna change anything.

a. I can't think of any other private business that people stake so much of there lives on as a ski area. It is still a business.

b. What is the "revenue per skier day" of the average local passholder? +/- $20? We ain't exactly keeping the lights on either.

c. I think there is a "I'm never gonna get more skiing in my life for less money" attitude about year one IKON. I know that is how I feel.

d. None of us have any idea about how many IKON passes don't get used and the revenue associated with that. My neighbor in marketing for Alterra explains it like, "day tickets sell skiing, season passes sell the idea of skiing". So when doing your economic analysis, don't forget about all the people sitting around the pool in August talking about going to SLC, Jackson and Big Sky that never go.

e. You better figure out when Denver Public Schools and Jeffco School spring break is. Literally hundreds out thousands on IKON pass holders will be unleashed across the mountain west.

MTN's (EPIC) CEO would not answer the question about how many passes don't get used at all, refused. I am sure its a significant number. Back to the original question, we don't know how much ($) affiliated ski areas receive when an IKON customer walks through the gate.

My belief is most ski resorts are businesses unfortunately and they want to load the lifts and restaurants
    Hopefully alta realizes this model is not the best since these people with icon passes have no loyalty and on bad years will go elsewhere
    But with epic, icon and collective this is the new model since most traveling is done by east and west coast masses
    I prefer no crowds and it makes me sad that alta is greeting over run
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

At the end of the season, someone will compile the data and hopefully we will hear about what the increase was in skier numbers at each hill. My guess is that it won't be more than 10-15% over the last five years most places. I think people are blowing the crowded days out of proportion and contributing it to these passes, when really, holidays and weekends have always been busy.

If the ski industry can generate more revenue for these resort towns, then I'd say it is a win. That's something that keeps getting overlooked. Sure, the resorts might make more from their properties and businesses, but the privately owned businesses in these towns will also prosper and I think that is a good thing. It will, over time, generate more tax revenue for the towns and municipalities which will then serve to increase funding for things like better schools, infrastructure, etc. Big picture, I think this whole thing will be a win for many areas. Sorry about your lift lines on a holiday weekend though.

They are saying icon 2019-2020 will be released soon. It’ll be interesting to see if there are any changes. I guess resorts are making decisions to participate or not without a full year of data.