Page 191 of 266 FirstFirst ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    and? That doesn’t make it right for vulnerable people to go out Skiing and get sick, inflate the numbers, then blame Republicans for this mess when both sides are disregarding guidelines. Not to mention that makes us stay closed down and ruins the education of lots of young people, including myself.

One of the biggest things I’m realizing from this virus, is that the current crop of old people are selfish AF. I may catch some heat for that, but I don’t care. A lot of my friends have been talking about this lately. Most people I see without masks are older people in fact.

We close the country dowN for you, then you go out skiing or to the gym or whatever and get sick, then the numbers get bad, round and round we go and we can’t reopen shit. God this is infuriating.
    You appeared to have read right past what I thought was the obvious implication of my statement... right on past and down some political rabbit hole.

Let me spell it out for you...

Gotta remember that vulnerable people interact with people who go skiing. Therefor, telling the vulnerable to stay home so that you can ostensibly not worry about transmissions related to skiing is just silly, because the virus doesn't stop at the next transmission. It keeps going, as communicable disease does. All transmissions matter.

Due to altitude, those not acclimated (non-locals) are already prone to be hypoxic. Thus, they tend to have worse morbidity than expected with respiratory illnesses.
    Last edited by Summit; 09-21-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

and? That doesn’t make it right for vulnerable people to go out Skiing and get sick, inflate the numbers, then blame Republicans for this mess when both sides are disregarding guidelines. Not to mention that makes us stay closed down and ruins the education of lots of young people, including myself.

One of the biggest things I’m realizing from this virus, is that the current crop of old people are selfish AF. I may catch some heat for that, but I don’t care. A lot of my friends have been talking about this lately. Most people I see without masks are older people in fact.

We close the country dowN for you, then you go out skiing or to the gym or whatever and get sick, then the numbers get bad, round and round we go and we can’t reopen shit. God this is infuriating.
    Young people are killing old people:

I'm pretty sure my 20 year old self would have handled this pandemic with entitled indifference, but I'm also pretty sure I would have realized that I was being entitled and indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Also, people who don't live at altitude and have few risk factors fare surprisingly badly with respiratory illnesses (such as COVID) as they are already a bit hypoxic.
    This is confusing. Or typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This is confusing. Or typo?
    Yes, I wrote that poorly. My English teach from 9th grade is spinning in her grave.

I was trying to say that due to altitude, those not acclimated (non-locals) are already prone to be hypoxic. Thus, they tend to have worse morbidity than expected with respiratory illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yes, I wrote that poorly. My English teach from 9th grade is spinning in her grave.

I was trying to say that due to altitude, those not acclimated (non-locals) are already prone to be hypoxic. Thus, they tend to have worse morbidity than expected with respiratory illnesses.
    That makes sense -- you're referring to those who would visit Ikon areas from lower-elevation home.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That makes sense -- you're referring to those who would visit Ikon areas from lower-elevation home.
    Exactly

Back on the Adventure Assurance topic, I'm actually thinking pick the destination resort (Big Sky) over the closest resort (Big Bear) that I just visit to take the kids skiing. Figure I would be more bummed about not skiing Big Sky and rather get a credit for that. Catch would be if I use it couple days at Big Bear and then Big Bear/Mammoth close early and out of state travel becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    One of the big concerns that was expressed was that the anti-mask crowd will remove masks after loading lift to "make a point" as we've seen time and again across the country and that self-policing is not realistically gonna work.
    Not saying it’s to make a point. But if my family of four loads a quad, you bet your sweet ass we will be breathing fresh air until just before the last tower.

There’s rules.
    But there’s also common sense.
    . . .

I feel for all the lift ops and patrollers out there that are going to have to be the enforcers for all the anti-masking dumbasses. Don't get paid enough money for that shit.

Hopefully the lack of on-hill bars this season keeps the drunk assholes down. Cept they'll probably just get drunk in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I feel for all the lift ops and patrollers out there that are going to have to be the enforcers for all the anti-masking dumbasses. Don't get paid enough money for that shit.

Hopefully the lack of on-hill bars this season keeps the drunk assholes down. Cept they'll probably just get drunk in the parking lot.
    COVID parking lot ski tailgates FTW!!

Well, I imagine folks getting on the lifts will be blazing up the weed. Not to mention popping the brewskis on the lifts. So, the masks will be coming off in droves. I bet there will be thousands of masks underneath the chairs at the end of the season.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I hope they don't expect the lift ops to police the masks. Not fair to them. Patrol yes. But I think the best approach is to emphasize to the clientele that keeping the lifts running depends on people following the rules and that they will have no problem shutting the lifts if cases are traced back to the resort or if resort personnel start testing positive. An appeal to self interest will work better than an appeal to altruism.

Unfortunately the unmasked will just blame any shut down on something or someone else. It can't possibly be their lack of masks.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I hope they don't expect the lift ops to police the masks. Not fair to them. Patrol yes.
    Paid patrol perhaps, volunteer patrol won't be too keen to get into it with anti-mask evangelists.

No, it's not OK. Arguing on the interwebz is for kids.

is that all ok though? Please enlighten me to why, I’m happy to change my mind if I’m just flat out wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Holy fuck, left turn this thread took. Back on topic.

Not sure what system will work best to keep lifts spinning. But I do know outbreaks yield to a resort will ode a bunch of them right up.

Liability wise, Ikon seems to be playing it safe with fewer rules. Vail as a bunch of rules to enforce, any of which they fail to do so puts them n liability.

Ikon’s make you safe seems like the safer bet when it comes to the dipshits who will sue for getting sick.

A few seasons ago, KW would shut the entire lift system down when someone poached closed terrain. Said they need 100% in SAR. But is just pissed everyone off and poaching stopped. None was gonna let their buddy get the lift shut down for 45 minutes so they could get 5 extra powder turns. Hell, sometimes it wasn’t even fresh snow.

Anyway, hope it works out. Cause I want to ski.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I hope they don't expect the lift ops to police the masks. Not fair to them. Patrol yes. But I think the best approach is to emphasize to the clientele that keeping the lifts running depends on people following the rules and that they will have no problem shutting the lifts if cases are traced back to the resort or if resort personnel start testing positive. An appeal to self interest will work better than an appeal to altruism.
    I've never found lift ops to be interested in policing the singles line at any resort so the idea that they are going to police masks or social distancing isn't happening. My whole thing with this season is there are too many people who think that the rules don't apply to them whether that is around masks or being told what to do/how to behave. Going to a resort and having to worry about a bunch of goobers who aren't taking shit seriously is not worth it for me. I'll miss skiing this season but the anxiety of worrying about other's behaviors is too much for me.

A friend of mine who is a patroller compared the situation at the Resorts to what we are seeing at the Universities: the resorts are hoping to be able to stay open long enough to hang on to season pass money before getting shut down by the government in the same way many universities (CU for example) with in-person classes are hoping to just hang on just long enough to keep the tuition money before being shut down. Cynical take, but probably some truth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    A friend of mine who is a patroller compared the situation at the Resorts to what we are seeing at the Universities: the resorts are hoping to be able to stay open long enough to hang on to season pass money before getting shut down by the government in the same way many universities (CU for example) with in-person classes are hoping to just hang on just long enough to keep the tuition money before being shut down. Cynical take, but probably some truth to it.
    Ugh you’re probably right.

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Paid patrol perhaps, volunteer patrol won't be too keen to get into it with anti-mask evangelists.
    Yeah, all they need is one or two patrol members at the main lift mazes. Some anti-masker asshole comes along...buh bye cocksucker. 2 week suspension of pass.

The difference between ski resorts and colleges is the college kids stay in the same place for nine months, whereas at the resorts people come, people go, and if they have the covid or not doesn't really matter. All that matters is if there are major outbreaks among employees that limit the workforce so much that they resort can't operate. The government is not going to shut them down IMO.

All it will take is a few cases in the patrol shack, and it good by resort skiing. You can run a hill short a bunch of lifties, not patrollers.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The difference between ski resorts and colleges is the college kids stay in the same place for nine months, whereas at the resorts people come, people go, and if they have the covid or not doesn't really matter. All that matters is if there are major outbreaks among employees that limit the workforce so much that they resort can't operate. The government is not going to shut them down IMO.
    They did last March.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    All it will take is a few cases in the patrol shack, and it good by resort skiing. You can run a hill short a bunch of lifties, not patrollers.
    I expect there will be limited terrain open sometimes because of that. Doesn't mean they close the mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They did last March.
    Dude. That was like ten years ago in pandemic time.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    If pics like even half of this show up online, you don’t think the local government will step in?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4004.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	341067