Page 207 of 266 FirstFirst ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    I actually didn't realize Epic did this, and it sounds like a good model both for the consumer and the company.
    It might be a kirkwood Only thing. I believe we made a stink when Vail bought the place. I think Heavenly is a great resort and Northstar has nice long cruisers, but the typical KW local feels they are too cool for those resorts (but does not necessarily keep them from side slipping the chute clean at the wood), so there was a big stink when Vail bought.

The Kirkwood Only Pass is no blackout and cost the same as the Tahoe Pass which had blackouts but includes Heavenly and N* as well. My wife is a teacher so she likes to ski holidays. We have good friends with a place at KW I used to care take for and we’ve skied the hill for years. We opted for the KW Only without really any thought. Also it is by far the closest of the three migraines to our home.

The only problem is when the snow level
    Is around 7200’, every epic-douche in the greater Bay - Sac - Tahoe region converge on one hill with mostly fixed grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    If I lived within and hours drive of the Village, I’d pay $1500. But for 3.5 hours from Kirkwood, I top out about $600. I used to pay $320. Those were the good old days.

I just think everywhere would be way less cluster fucked if we got rid of multi resort passes. I know I’m less likely to visit Jackson since Ikon. Unless I’m full ikonic, then I’m driving my grom there and we are staying at the hostel.

Anyway. I’m not a demographic they care about.
    And I'm the demographic they'd like to avoid.

I suspect I'm the same way about time/distance/cost as you.

In 1990 a season pass was about $1275 at it's best iirc. So todays $1500+/- hasn't inflated too far.

I vote for ditching multi resort passes too. Or at least at my hill.

As much as I want to see more people enjoy skiing, I think the overarching impacts of Ikonism have been too detrimental to the experience to further pursue that experiment.

Does anybody know of a spot to swap Ikon pass reservations? Just had something come up that I need to shift a trip to Jackson one day and would offer up a Friday (1/29) for Monday (1/1) for four people.

What's crazy is that probably 95% of the Ikon pass holders mucking up the lift lines in JXN coming in from NY or Jersey don't need that much of a mountain to ski anyways. They'd be better off skiing someplace like Steamboat or Snowmass. I bet most of em are cooked by 11. But I guess JXN sounds way more bad ass while standing around that water cooler come Monday.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    What's crazy is that probably 95% of the Ikon pass holders mucking up the lift lines in JXN coming in from NY or Jersey don't need that much of a mountain to ski anyways. They'd be better off skiing someplace like Steamboat or Snowmass. I bet most of em are cooked by 11. But I guess JXN sounds way more bad ass while standing around that water cooler come Monday.
    You may be right. On the ranch lot bus I had my 196 Lhasa Pows w/ Tectons and the guy next to me asked me what they were, and after explaining, when I looked up , every person was staring at me.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You may be right. On the ranch lot bus I had my 196 Lhasa Pows w/ Tectons and the guy next to me asked me what they were, and after explaining, when I looked up , every person was staring at me.
    What's maybe even more funny is that I have no idea what those are
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Still trying to figure out how the ski industry shows US skier numbers staying relatively flat (slight fluctuations tied to weather, mostly) but everyone is complaining "their" ski area is more crowded than ever.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Still trying to figure out how the ski industry shows US skier numbers staying relatively flat (slight fluctuations tied to weather, mostly) but everyone is complaining "their" ski area is more crowded than ever.
    The complaints are from the mega pass ski areas, no? It seems like a concentrated use problem.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Lack of snow + restricting # of passengers on chair = limited terrain = more density = crowded lift lines and perception of crowds.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

What's maybe even more funny is that I have no idea what those are
    Was that you on Wednesday?
    Only pic that kinda shows the Lhasas, (bottom of Pair-a-chutes).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4428.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	358685
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Lack of snow + restricting # of passengers on chair = limited terrain = more density = crowded lift lines and perception of crowds.
    Add in Powder chasing, easier flights etc. and you've got the perfect shit storm for crowded ski resorts. I'm a big fan of skiing at more off the radar places these days. Sure, Snowbird and Jackson can't be beat on the terrain part but who cares if you stand in lines for 50% of your day. I'd rather give up a little to not deal with that hassle.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Turns out we cant use our Ikon passes to ski an ikon resort for the one trip we make out of our home Ikon resort to ski each year. Big Sky's reservation system was already booked up over a month in advance. I hope these pass wars are just a bad footnote by the mid 2020's when people see that its not worth it, and shop elsewhere.

IKON is $$$$ for the snowchasing skier that can take 3 day weekends and has the $$ to travel, but these passes suck for locals.

Not gonna lie. Ikon is almost perfect for me. Maybe if it had smaller mountains like steamboat I wouldn’t be so cooked by 11.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    More people have passes, fewer people skiing day passes so the same number of skiers ski a lot more days. Or do the numbers show skier days flat too?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The restrictions cant cause the shitty conditions or ski it out, perhaps some lines but not allowing anyone and everyone to show last minute on a powder day will prob have the opposite effect.

If there ever is another real powder day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Not gonna lie. Ikon is almost perfect for me. Maybe if it had smaller mountains like steamboat I wouldn’t be so cooked by 11.

Awe.....I sense a little butt hurt in your post. But be honest, coming straight out of Mass how many laps can you get in on the JXN tram thses days with the crowds and how many can you do before your toast? You can't train for that kind of skiing doing groomer laps at Waterville once a week.

Maybe you are an anomaly and maybe you are as bad ass as you like to imagine yourself while having those water cooler war story sessions but most folks coming out west pow chasing could have a better experience at a low key, quiet ski area with much more accessible, user friendly terrain. and again, maybe this isn't you but your defensive reply is telling.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    More people have passes, fewer people skiing day passes so the same number of skiers ski a lot more days. Or do the numbers show skier days flat too?
    The numbers I'm talking about are annual skier days. But as mentioned by others, it seems like there is just a shift in where people are skiing. Definitely explains how Squawpine has been pretty mellow all season, while other places have been a shitshow. I guess people aren't as locked into skiing the local areas now and can just go where the snow is good (even during a pandemic). Wondering of those bitching about "their" ski area being overrun would change their tune if they get a drought season and use the pass to ski elsewhere. Tahoe was already a shitshow before ikon, doesn't seem to have made too much difference here, some midweek days seem more crowded, but also some days when you wonder where everyone is.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something - why would an adult buy that when an Ikon gives them unlimited access for way cheaper?
    No blackout days. They have traditionally been Real quiet days.

Awe.....I sense a little butt hurt in your post. But be honest, coming straight out of Mass how many laps can you get in on the JXN tram thses days with the crowds and how many can you do before your toast? You can't train for that kind of skiing doing groomer laps at Waterville once a week.

Maybe you are an anomaly and maybe you are as bad ass as you like to imagine yourself while having those water cooler war story sessions but most folks coming out west pow chasing could have a better experience at a low key, quiet ski area with much more accessible, user friendly terrain. and again, maybe this isn't you but your defensive reply is telling.
    Some coastal weekend warrior groomer mappers could go all day all week at jackson. Especially younger, healthier, more in shape folks.

But I take your point. I know plenty of people who only ski Squaw and would never even consider going over to Alpine and they never ever ski anything that is not groomed. And if you are groomer skiing, Alpine is better unless you really like short runs.

Or the folks who show up at Kirkwood after 4’ of fresh and complain about the lack of grooming. But the next day it is blue bird, with a high of 22F, no wind, ample grooming and completely ghost town.

Hell, most Bay Area skiers I know never ski off piste and won’t bother going up unless it snowed that week and we have a deep base.

This is my first year having an ikon and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I have 10 days at Stratton 1 at killington and then I have a bromley pass and have 7 days on that. I hitting sugarbush in couple weeks and definitely using the rest of my days at the beast. But honestly can’t wait til a year when I can actually travel. It’s gonna be game on. And we haven’t had shit for snow and I still have all those days. Life is pretty good for the middle of January.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    As part of my JH season full pass, we get a base ikon pass included.

I entered all of my info on nov. 23. got the affirmative on picture, etc. Had one last year as well, nothing changed.
    I got nuthin'.
    So I called them and she says it appears there's a problem w/your address.
    It worked fine last time, I sez.
    She sez new software maybe.
    She sez she'll add box after PO. Hmmm...
    I sez how long.
    She sez 2 weeks.
    I sez 5 weeks late and now 2 more when it's supposed to be 7-10 days?
    She sez yep.
    I ask if she can email me with a confirmation that the ball is rolling.
    she sez she's gone on vacation tomorrow.

Bite me Sarah.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I hope JHMR punts that shitshow after the contract expires this spring.
    Fucking 3 weeks later and not a peep.

Ikonic clownshow.

Fucking 3 weeks later and not a peep.

Ikonic clownshow.
    They printed my ikon pass at the window at Stratton. Pretty sure they will print ikon at any ikon ticket window.... I mean I guess that’s if ticket windows are open

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    No blackout days.
    Shhhh to the rest of your post, we want to keep them that way

Full Ikon pass also has no blackout days at Sugarbush and goes for 800 or 900. Current list is 1500 for a Sugarbush pass. I understand prices go up, but I doubt the Sugarbush pass price has doubled, so it still makes no sense to me why anyone would buy just a Sugarbush pass.

The Ikon / Epic models just confuse me. How is "get as many people to the mountain as possible then charge them up the ass for everything" really sustainable? There's only so many people who will pay 15 bucks for a mediocre hamburger every time they ski...eventually people will smarten up and just bring their own lunch right? Fingers crossed that COVID restrictions make people realize bringing their own lunch is pretty easy and those business models just crater quickly. Then maybe we can go to just Max pass / Mountain Collective type passes, which are awesome for travel skiing but didn't seem to overwhelm anywhere (Solitude, Big Sky, I think several others were on Max and didn't hear any bitching about those places until they went Ikon).

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    They printed my ikon pass at the window at Stratton. Pretty sure they will print ikon at any ikon ticket window.... I mean I guess that’s if ticket windows are open

Stratton is an Alterra resort, so they can. Others cannot.

Nearest Alterra resort is about 5hrs. away.

Fucking lame.

Stratton is an Alterra resort, so they can. Others cannot.

Nearest Alterra resort is about 5hrs. away.

Fucking lame.
    That’s ridiculous. Sorry and thanks for that piece of info. That’s super lame. I mean how fucking hard would it be to share a god damn list.... Oh never mind. It’s the ski industry.