Page 5 of 266 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikon Pass

I understand they named it "Ikon" because "icon" translates to something vulgar in some other language... possibly French?

^doubtful. it's a Greek root word

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    ^doubtful. it's a Greek root word
    In Greek, there is no hard c. Kappa is roughly equivalent to a hard c or a k. Either Anglicized spelling is equivalent.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    as a ski bum who aint bought a season pass in a couple decades i'm epically ikonically stoked the bcc aint
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

The American Consumer, eagerly trading slightly lower prices for significantly lower quality since 1946. Follow the Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    The American Consumer, eagerly trading slightly lower prices for significantly lower quality since 1946. Follow the Herd!
    QFT

Edgy, but I see you point. A lot of the blame does fall on the the insurance side of things. Lawsuits and new state/local laws over preceding decades have made it increasingly tough for any kind of 'mom and pop' resort to survive. Even if there's enough traffic to sustain you all season, you are probably paranoid about some Jerry suing your mountain over an injury they caused themselves, and likely to cost you many G's through litigation and eventual settlement. Shit, the amount of money a resort has to pay annually in insurance costs has got to be staggering. And all this does is just push the needle towards corporatization.

Yeah, American consumers suck. But ski ares have been increasingly under the hammer each year, and things like the MC, Ikon, and Epic pass are a result of the squeeze they've been dealing with. All it takes is one or two players to have enough money and greed to start buying out a market like this, and then dominating it for years to come. For all of the smaller resorts, it's a tough choice they face.

True. I'm lucky enough to have 7 resorts within an hour of me to choose from here in Utah. If any of the four good ones are not on a Ikon/Mountain Collective/whatever deal, I'm going to strongly favor them for my season pass next year. The herd tramples the snow, f' that.

Anyone have a subscription to the Denver Post? Go cut and paste the Ikon article that came out today here.

Looks like IKON will be a RMSP with extra days at other resorts for $899.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/business...-altasnowbird/

No unlimited skiing in UT, as most of us probably figured.

From the article:

Alterra Mountain Co. has thrown down an $899 season pass that offers unlimited skiing at 12 resorts and a lower-cost version to replace the beloved Rocky Mountain SuperPass, promising a season-pass war that will challenge Vail Resorts’ previously unrivaled Epic Pass and transform the ski resort industry.

The Ikon Pass — on sale March 6 at ikonpass.com — will offer unlimited access to Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat and Eldora and eight ski areas in California, Vermont, West Virginia and Canada, plus seven days of skiing each at six destination resorts: Utah’s Deer Valley, Wyoming’s Jackson Hole, Montana’s Big Sky, Canada’s Revelstoke, and Vermont’s Killington and Sugarbush. It also comes with a total of seven days at the four Aspen Snowmass resorts, AltaSnowbird in Utah, SkiBig3 in Canada (Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt. Norquay), and the trio of Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Loon Mountain in New England.

We’ll do the math for you: 26 destinations in nine states and four Canadian provinces, totaling almost 64,000 acres.

As a rival for the Epic Local Pass, the $599 Ikon Base Pass provides unlimited access to eight ski areas, including Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora and areas in California, West Virginia and Canada. It comes with five days at each — with holiday restrictions — of these resorts: Steamboat, California’s Mammoth, Deer Valley, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Vermont’s Stratton and Killington, Revelstoke and Sugarbush, plus five total days at AspenSnowmass, AltaSnowbird, SkiBig3 and the New England mountains. The base pass has blackout dates between Christmas and New Year’s Eve and the holiday weekends in January and February.

Kids 12 and under pay $199 for the Ikon Pass and $149 for the Ikon Base Pass with the purchase of an adult’s pass.​

$900 for unlimited Winter Park, Copper, Steamboat, Squaw and Mammoth is ridiculous.
    Putting Jackson, Revelstoke, Aspen, Big Sky, Snowbird and other heavy hitters on their at 7 days each is just gravy.
    I'll give them some credit, they put a hell of a multi-mountain pass together.

Well fuck. As a Wasatch local 7 days really is just an ass pound.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Great pass for Frangers and Cali. Hopefully it spreads the EPIC crowds out a bit. This pass is not for me, but I can see it being very popular with many other folks.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Great pass for Frangers and Cali. Hopefully it spreads the EPIC crowds out a bit. This pass is not for me, but I can see it being very popular with many other folks.
    The locals in Steamboat just got really, really pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The locals in Steamboat just got really, really pissed.
    The only steamboat local I know is pretty stoked. THey just a massive reduction in pass price, a bunch of days at Jackson, Big Sky, Utah, and Front Range resorts added to their season pass.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only steamboat local I know is pretty stoked. THey just a massive reduction in pass price, a bunch of days at Jackson, Big Sky, Utah, and Front Range resorts added to their season pass.
    This.

These multi mountain conglomerates don't give a shit about what the locals think, for better or worse.

Amazing pass. But god damn WP and Berthoud are going to be unmanageable on the weekends. I've already heard of at least a half dozen epic passers that were planning on switching before the prices were even released.

$599 Ikon Base Pass
    Unlimited access: Copper Mountain, Winter Park
    5 days: Steamboat, Jackson Hole, Aspen/Snowmass, Revelstoke, Big Sky, Alta/Snowbird

vs

~$670 Epic Local
    Unlimited: Abasin, Keystone, Breck
    10 days: Vail, Beav, Whistler

Ikon is pretty attractive... maybe enough to drop Epic for a year... would be tough though because I'd then have to choose between Loveland vs A-Basin as a second pass in order to be able to ski 1 of the 3 closest mountains to me. I'd probably pick A-Basin.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    $599 Ikon Base Pass
    Unlimited access: Copper Mountain, Winter Park
    5 days: Steamboat, Jackson Hole, Aspen/Snowmass, Revelstoke, Big Sky, Alta/Snowbird

vs

~$670 Epic Local
    Unlimited: Abasin, Keystone, Breck
    10 days: Vail, Beav, Whistler

Ikon is pretty attractive... maybe enough to drop Epic for a year... would be tough though because I'd then have to choose between Loveland vs A-Basin as a second pass and probably pick A-Basin.
    One thing to note about the Base Pass: HOLIDAY RESTRICTIONS on the "extra" locations - Xmas -> NY and I'd wager MLK and Prez w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    One thing to note about the Base Pass: HOLIDAY RESTRICTIONS on the "extra" locations - Xmas -> NY and I'd wager MLK and Prez w/e.
    Yep -- it's all up on their sites. Xmas, NYE, MLK, Prez.

And yeah, WP is gonna be a cluster fuck. As is Berthoud.

As cool as this pass sounds, I'm thinking Luv + Japanuary.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yes... but Epic Local has holiday restrictions too. None of those are of much concern for us.

I dunno... next year might just be Abasin + Loveland
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Ugh. I finally ditched the Squaw shit-show this year and did Sugar Bowl combined with the Mountain Collective (same total price) and the combo has worked out great. I assume the MC pass is virtually dead now... which leaves me with a tough decision next year.