Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1361

Thread: Ikon Pass

  1. #1201
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    1,175
    Ok, Copper it is but tossing the skins in just in case we need to bail to Dry Creek or something.

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arrrvada, CO
    Posts
    1,146
    IME, WP/MJ doesn't get good coverage and truly fun (read trees and steeps) until closer to a 60" base. Early directed skiing openings happen, but take the rock skis, and stay out of the woods if you value your legs. What's open had good coverage though, last Sunday.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,111

    Ikon Pass

    Iíd rally up to Aspen for this or next weekend. Highlands has the Bowl, Temerity and Steeplechase open.
    Ajax has Walshes, Bell, Glades and the Dumps. The skiing is outstanding.
    Next weekend has a band for the new Base Village opening at Snowmass. Nathanael Ratliff is playing the Belly Up.
    The brand new Limelight has a special $159/night.

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    1,175
    Copper was phenomenal this morning, we caught the first opening of the alpine lift terrain and too much was just too much fun. After we tracked that up headed back to super B and caught a tree that had fallen and was pointing up hill. 29 stitches between my thigh and face. Iíll be hanging out in gimp central for a couple weeks and getting some family time (aka credit for future ski trips).

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,036
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Copper was phenomenal this morning, we caught the first opening of the alpine lift terrain and too much was just too much fun. After we tracked that up headed back to super B and caught a tree that had fallen and was pointing up hill. 29 stitches between my thigh and face. Iíll be hanging out in gimp central for a couple weeks and getting some family time (aka credit for future ski trips).
    Oh shit! Sorry!

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    2,639
    Fuck GPP33. Whereís that tree so I can avoid it? Damn!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    21,292
    Its right next to that rock that is just barely covered.

    'Warning, early season obstacles may exist."

    I stay out of the trees until we have a pretty substantial base, and that base has a chance to compact well. It's always temping, but to many bad consequences waiting to happen.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’d rally up to Aspen for this or next weekend. Highlands has the Bowl, Temerity and Steeplechase open.
    Ajax has Walshes, Bell, Glades and the Dumps. The skiing is outstanding.
    Next weekend has a band for the new Base Village opening at Snowmass. Nathanael Ratliff is playing the Belly Up.
    The brand new Limelight has a special $159/night.
    Itching to pull the trigger, but going to wait until Sunday to decide where to go next weekend. But Aspen/Snowmass is on the radar. Just want to get a better idea on the forecast. Looks like 7 day plus outlook is wishy washy for CO area. Meanwhile Crystal Mtn, WA might be the place to be next week.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  9. #1209
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,683
    Can we keep all our IKON ranting and ravings in here? I feel like there is some good hate getting lost in the regional super threads. I need to know proper lanyard protocol before I hit the road with the green plates and douche up the place.

  10. #1210
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1

    Icon pass and Alta/Snowbird benefits

    Does anybody know what the benefit is to Alta/Snowbird accepting the icon pass? I don't know what percentage of people at the resort are actually Icon pass holders, but it seems like half the people I talk to on the lift are there because of the pass. Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?

    Maybe they're counting on them sleeping in the hotels and buying food, but it just seems like to me it's just making the traditional pass holders mad because it's so crowded.

    I dunno. I don't get why they did it and really hope they stop it. I get that we get to go to a few extra resorts every year, but honestly, I find myself just wanting to go up to Alta/Snowbird rather than the other resorts.

  11. #1211
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Does anybody know what the benefit is to Alta/Snowbird accepting the icon pass? I don't know what percentage of people at the resort are actually Icon pass holders, but it seems like half the people I talk to on the lift are there because of the pass. Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?

    Maybe they're counting on them sleeping in the hotels and buying food, but it just seems like to me it's just making the traditional pass holders mad because it's so crowded.

    I dunno. I don't get why they did it and really hope they stop it. I get that we get to go to a few extra resorts every year, but honestly, I find myself just wanting to go up to Alta/Snowbird rather than the other resorts.
    Did you see the letter from Alta's GM? Below. Sheds a little light:

    When we were presented with the opportunity to become a partner in the Ikon Pass, we intentionally crafted our involvement to preserve the quality of the ski experience at Alta. We recognized that if the current ski areas in the Ikon Pass program in Utah (Alta, Snowbird & Deer Valley) were included on an unlimited basis, we would have more days when the demand would be greater than the available terrain, which would derogate the Alta experience. Consequently, we worked with Snowbird to craft our involvement in the Ikon product to preserve the quality of the ski experience at Alta by limiting visitation by Ikon pass holders to 7 or 5 days in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

    With over half of our skier visits currently coming from out of state, we determined that involvement as a partner in the Ikon Pass was important for us to generate sufficient revenues to remain competitive and sustainable in the ski industry.

    The Ikon Pass is not intended to be a replacement for Alta season pass products. Altaís 2018-2019 season pass products will remain very similar to what we offered this season and will provide Alta season pass holders with unlimited skiing on the ďGreatest Snow on EarthĒ, the Wasatch Benefit and the 50% discount on lift tickets at Mountain Collective destinations.

    We are pleased to be included in a pass that provides access to the most iconic mountains in North America. We will monitor the impact of our involvement in the Ikon Pass program and make changes if we see significant negative impact on the Alta ski experience.

    Thank you for being Alta supporters.

  12. #1212
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    summit county
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Can we keep all our IKON ranting and ravings in here? I feel like there is some good hate getting lost in the regional super threads. I need to know proper lanyard protocol before I hit the road with the green plates and douche up the place.
    did this last week. when in jackson I felt the need to apologize or shamefully admit i was an ikon pass holder on a few occasions. in utah i felt like i just blended in with the crowd. I totally understand the frustrations with some of these mountains getting completely overcrowded from this pass but like what can you do, ya know?

  13. #1213
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    2,121
    I chuckle at the guys that double down by putting the huge yellow IKON sticker on their helmet.

  14. #1214
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    9,351
    The Rocky Mountain resorts have always made most of their money from out-of-town skiers and riders. You buy a ticket or a pass you have the same right to be there as anyone else. People who complain about the crowds need to remember they are just as much a part of the crowd as everyone else. Locals need to remember that if it weren't for those visitors they wouldn't be able to be locals. Around here the biggest crowds are on big powder days--and not just on weekends. If you want to blame anything blame fat skis--now every skier is a powder skier.

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    33,122
    True

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  16. #1216
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The Rocky Mountain resorts have always made most of their money from out-of-town skiers and riders. You buy a ticket or a pass you have the same right to be there as anyone else. People who complain about the crowds need to remember they are just as much a part of the crowd as everyone else. Locals need to remember that if it weren't for those visitors they wouldn't be able to be locals. Around here the biggest crowds are on big powder days--and not just on weekends. If you want to blame anything blame fat skis--now every skier is a powder skier.
    I blame Rob Story.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  17. #1217
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Splat's Garage
    Posts
    3,239
    Partner Ikon Pass resorts get $X amount of dollars everytime a customer scans their Ikon Pass. The partner resorts also get to acquire that customer's information which can be used for future marketing.

  18. #1218
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Do the resorts get paid to allow the icon pass holders to ski there?
    Lol @ this question.

    No idea how to post images but someone needs to insert Old Man Simpson yells at crowd.

  19. #1219
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    10,604
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The Rocky Mountain resorts have always made most of their money from out-of-town skiers and riders. You buy a ticket or a pass you have the same right to be there as anyone else. People who complain about the crowds need to remember they are just as much a part of the crowd as everyone else. Locals need to remember that if it weren't for those visitors they wouldn't be able to be locals. Around here the biggest crowds are on big powder days--and not just on weekends. If you want to blame anything blame fat skis--now every skier is a powder skier.
    Nope.

    My home resort has been getting busier over the past 5-7 years but Montana is growing and the area has been investing in lift upgrades and marketing.

    That said the changes that have occurred this season in terms of numbers and crowding (1st season for IKON) are beyond noticeable.

    It may be the future, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. And as for "around here", I don't live "around there" for a very good reason.

  20. #1220
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    2,913
    Same, Iíve been here quite a few years through big and lean years. This season is a big year and Iíd expect it to be busy. But...

    The tram line has been regularly doing things not seen before, full maze indoors, quad extended maze around the building, back to the plaza and working up the new walkway. The Saturday of MLK weekend it went up the stairs of the new walkway and headed towards the Cliff Lodge. I shudder to think what itís going to do this weekend.

    Itís a slog up the canyon even on days without snow or closures. We have road parking from entry one to entry four by 10:00. The canyon is stuffed full of cars (mine included).

    Combine all of that with a big snow year and limited terrain openings and you have a diminished locals experience. I myself have wanted to leave this place for a while, and seasons like this just hasten the process.

  21. #1221
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,844
    I'm sure the ski resorts on these Epic/Ikon/Mountain Collective passes love the ancillary revenue from food and bev sales, not to mention lessons, rentals and lodging. I suppose the resorts can always start jacking up the prices to find out where the price limit is. I'm guessing it's got room to go up, as Americans got lots of discretionary cash in their pockets to spend on vacations, big gas guzzling SUV's and new ski/recreational gear on an annual basis.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  22. #1222
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,332
    A crowded day for a resort is much better than an uncrowded day. They don't really care if you wait a little longer for the tram. If you leave, there's always someone else to take your place. They may lose some of the hard cores, but they'll replace them with 2 Insta kids looking for their "experience" or "adventure" to share with their followers.

  23. #1223
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    572
    fuck the ikon pass

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuck-the-ikon-pass.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	269483
    Last edited by getoutside; 02-13-2019 at 01:42 AM.

  24. #1224
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    fuck the ikon pass

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuck-the-ikon-pass.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	269483
    Whole hearted agreeance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_163255859_HDR.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	833.4 KB 
ID:	269484
    Fuck you IKON

  25. #1225
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    1,714
    All I can hope is that Alta GM Mike Maughan meant it when he said:

    We are pleased to be included in a pass that provides access to the most iconic mountains in North America. We will monitor the impact of our involvement in the Ikon Pass program and make changes if we see significant negative impact on the Alta ski experience.

    Yea, loads of negative impact for sure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •