Page 2 of 266 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikon Pass

If the pricing isn't on the same level as the Epic Pass, then I doubt it will compete much against Vail Resorts. But if it is, then get ready for a lot more skiers at Alta/Snowbird... which would make traffic up LCC even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am new to observing the ski industry. I do not think I would like this idea if I were an Aspen local.
    Yeah part of the appeal of aspen is that you are away from the unwashed masses that settle for the epic pass.

Depending on what the pricing structure is I will likely switch from the vail pass to this

Looks like the Maxx pass it toast.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Yeah part of the appeal of aspen is that you are away from the unwashed masses that settle for the epic
    True dat.

RE: Aspen Snowmass.....
    We're still a 3 hour drive from the FR.... that limits some numbers up front. We've had a deal in the classic pass for years that still didn't bring over the masses.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Wonder if discussions with some of the other MC areas are ongoing and they just haven't settled on terms at this point so we can expect some "surprise" additions later on.

Thinking about Telluride and Taos specifically.

Given how the industry is shaping up, you sort of need to pick a side if you are one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    RE: Aspen Snowmass.....
    We're still a 3 hour drive from the FR.... that limits some numbers up front. We've had a deal in the classic pass for years that still didn't bring over the masses.
    Yeah but now if aspen is lumped in with copper / winter park that will suddenly give a ton of people living on the front range aspen access. This is different than the classic pass

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post

Given how the industry is shaping up, you sort of need to pick a side if you are one of them.
    The ski industry is like a microcosm of the US... two huge corporations dominating everything

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    Wonder if discussions with some of the other MC areas are ongoing and they just haven't settled on terms at this point so we can expect some "surprise" additions later on.

Thinking about Telluride and Taos specifically.

Yep. More to come. Still no real details.

Yeah but now if aspen is lumped in with copper / winter park that will suddenly give a ton of people living on the front range aspen access. This is different than the classic pass
    except I doubt that there will just be a bunch of Aspen days on the pass. Maybe a couple, maybe an upgrade to add days. Aspen knows their product and they don't want to dilute it much, I am guessing.

For now, this is much ado about nothing, as there are no details. If it's pricier than the existing RMSP+, I may end up with a WP-only pass next year.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, but the proximity from population is still limiting, especially if it's snowing. You're highly unlikely to do a day trip from the Front Range to Aspen, and lodging is expensive/limited enough to hold off the herds. I think there will be an uptick in people, but there just isn't the carrying capacity in town for that many more people to come and stay. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Gotta say, as an LCC local, I'm super bummed out about this.

Traffic today? Heinous. Traffic next year with this BS pulling 20% more local people up the canyon with no increase in parking or lift capacity? I have no words.

So far I'm getting the feeling that I'm an old man now. Somebody change my view on this pass. Seriously, I'm open to explanation.

Somebody tell me why this will be a good thing for LCC resorts? For me?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Pretty unclear from the press release as to the type of pass this will be and how much it will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Pretty unclear from the press release as to the type of pass this will be and how much it will cost.
    Sounds like they are trying to be a competitor to the Epic Pass. If thats the case, I'd say they are shooting for pricing attainable for current season pass holders.

First line of this Salt Lake Tribune Article: https://www.sltrib.com/news/business...rican-resorts/

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Looks like the Maxx pass it toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    except I doubt that there will just be a bunch of Aspen days on the pass. Maybe a couple, maybe an upgrade to add days. Aspen knows their product and they don't want to dilute it much, I am guessing.

Exactly, Aspen will be an add on to most passes.

It was frickin empty here today and the DH course was buffed to perfection. I got three runs before the next guy even showed.

Don't worry about Aspen. Hardly anyone will do a day trip to that place from Front Range and doubt many will book hotels.

If this has a simple equation like 10 days at each resort on that list, then you can bet that it will sell like crazy for cheap $. I view this pass like an option for people who want a second ski pass (in addition to a full unlimited pass to their fav local hill), or as a solo pass for those who are weekend warriors and can access multiple resorts nearby where they live (in effect they could get 10 days copper, 10 days steamboat, 10 days WP, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Sounds like they are trying to be a competitor to the Epic Pass. If thats the case, I'd say they are shooting for pricing attainable for current season pass holders.

First line of this Salt Lake Tribune Article: https://www.sltrib.com/news/business...rican-resorts/
    Or they they pull vail prices up quicker. Vail could charge more and drop the physiological restriction BS. I’ve never reached the 10 day restriction at vail or Beaver Creek. Hell, 95% of skiers don’t even ski half that many days (learnt that on TGR). Never used a single day at any of the resorts outside of Co.

The ikon Pass is intriguing though. As a Co front ranger I can use Eldora, WP and Copper for family days then do some road trips with friends to Ut, Wy and Mt. Adding Crested Butte and maybe Monarch would make it a done deal. What about Loveland, they are still out there on their own. If A Basin jumped ship on Vail and joined the Ikon, which seems to fit the mold better, Vail may just sink.

Then there’s the twist of Vail offering returning epic pass holder special pricing since there’s a damn good chance everyone who’s skied VR for the past 10 years is as intrigued about this as I am.

2018/2019 might be an interesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Or they they pull vail prices up quicker. Vail could charge more and drop the physiological restriction BS. I’ve never reached the 10 day restriction at vail or Beaver Creek. Hell, 95% of skiers don’t even ski half that many days (learnt that on TGR). Never used a single day at any of the resorts outside of Co.

The ikon Pass is intriguing though. As a Co front ranger I can use Eldora, WP and Copper for family days then do some road trips with friends to Ut, Wy and Mt. Adding Crested Butte and maybe Monarch would make it a done deal. What about Loveland, they are still out there on their own. If A Basin jumped ship on Vail and joined the Ikon, which seems to fit the mold better, Vail may just sink.

Then there’s the twist of Vail offering returning epic pass holder special pricing since there’s a damn good chance everyone who’s skied VR for the past 10 years is as intrigued about this as I am.

2018/2019 might be an interesting year.
    Losing A basin wouldn’t make a dent in Vail.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I expect zero days at Aspen .
    I could see them having a 4 or 7 day option, like the Classic pass, as an add on, but that's it.
    We have to wait months for answers? This is bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Gotta say, as an LCC local, I'm super bummed out about this.

Traffic today? Heinous. Traffic next year with this BS pulling 20% more local people up the canyon with no increase in parking or lift capacity? I have no words.

So far I'm getting the feeling that I'm an old man now. Somebody change my view on this pass. Seriously, I'm open to explanation.

Somebody tell me why this will be a good thing for LCC resorts? For me?
    What if there is a $10 toll for LCC? that should balance things out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

Snowbird was asked on the their Facebook page whether this pass replaced a normal season pass, they replied, no.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Snowbird was asked on the their Facebook page whether this pass replaced a normal season pass, they replied, no.
    Yeah, I mean, get real if anyone thinks this is going to be some kind of EpicPass™ with unlimited skiing at all of the resorts. DigiDave™ ain't going to stop his One-Star™ Snowbird campaign and start to hype the IkonPass™.

Quote Originally Posted by marcg View Post
    What if there is a $10 toll for LCC? that should balance things out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    I would support that for vehicle occupants less than 3 people. Sure. But if the toll is less than that, I don't know that it would make enough of a dent in traffic.

Would be nice to offset some cost somewhere else. Don't know what though.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Losing A basin wouldn’t make a dent in Vail.
    For me (and i’m Important)!A basin is the only thing that would make the epic pass compete with this. Fuck Keystone, Breck is cool, vail is only good on pow days when I want to wake up at 2am so I can drive 4 hours to the hill and 6 hours home (time adjusted for snowy roads and massive amounts of stupid drivers), most pow days I just do BC an hour from my door. I’m lucky to use 2 of my vail days per year so I basically get an epic pass for Breck and a basin. Take a basin away and fuck it. I’m sure a decent chunk of my 5,000,000 front range neighbors who ski probably feel about the same. We don’t account for enough to put em under but with legitimate competition on the table loosing a basin would no doubt bring the hurt. This is why Loveland is such an interesting prospect. Early and late season are A basin and Loveland I know that doesn’t matter for tourists but for Co residents it’s a significant play.