Page 234 of 268 FirstFirst ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Well, I guess that there will be several of us in the Dolomites this coming year. We're planning on going in February.

We'll be there Feb 2-9. Spent some time digging up beta, let me know if you want to share notes.

I'm also looking for some suggestions, got ikon passes, I've never skied outside of the northeast (except Chamonix), and we have a ton of credit card miles. Dolomites are high on the list outside of NA. But have no idea in the US/Canada. SLC might be a good start? any regions that would have shorter lift lines than the popular hyped areas?

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    We'll be there Feb 2-9. Spent some time digging up beta, let me know if you want to share notes.
    That would be fun! Here's my Dolomites notes. It's basically cut/paste from a few sources on the internet, the majority of them are from this forum.

Sorry if anyone sees their comment in there without attribution, this is wasn't meant for publication, just as a clipboard for ourselves, we'll use these comments to help us pick a spot to stay (now we'll check flight prices and driving distances but most likely we'll fly intro Treviso and drive) and put together ideas of itineraries.

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I'm also looking for some suggestions, got ikon passes, I've never skied outside of the northeast (except Chamonix), and we have a ton of credit card miles. Dolomites are high on the list outside of NA. But have no idea in the US/Canada. SLC might be a good start? any regions that would have shorter lift lines than the popular hyped areas?
    Whitewater, near Nelson, B.C. gets the most snow in western Canada at 39ft average/season and no crowds, no on hill accommodation, 3 fixed grip chairs, as it is the anti-Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Whitewater, near Nelson, B.C. gets the most snow in western Canada at 39ft average/season and no crowds, no on hill accommodation, 3 fixed grip chairs, as it is the anti-Whistler.
    To be clear, though - I do *not* believe Whitewater is on the Ikon pass...

Schweitzer, Red and Revelstoke all are and it probably wouldn’t kill some Ikoners to drop a hundy skiing WW.

Tahoe. Tough to go wrong in Tahoe. Snow is unpredictable in slc/Utah and the lift lines and traffic unbearable. 2 hour drive from Reno isn’t bad and you can gamble at the airport.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Tahoe. Tough to go wrong in Tahoe. Snow is unpredictable in slc/Utah and the lift lines and traffic unbearable. 2 hour drive from Reno isn’t bad and you can gamble at the airport.
    On a good day the drive from Reno to Palisades is less than an hour.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    On a good day the drive from Reno to Palisades is less than an hour.
    Like non peak rush hour, starting from Somerset, in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    It’s like the Wolf Creek of Colorado…

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic. Given the temps the last few years the snow in Tahoe is very unpredictable, and when it does snow it's increasingly high wind events that shut most or all of the lifts. Traffic isn't bad on a midweek day when it hasn't snowed in a while. Big Sky wasn't bad for lines when we were there in so so snow conditions, except for the tram. What the tram surcharge will mean for lines and whether you want to pay it is an open question. That was by far the most interesting skiing when we were there; with more fresh snow there would be a lot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    It’s like the Wolf Creek of Colorado…
    Wtf?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Wtf?
    Most snow, no on hill accommodation, anti-Vail/Aspen/etc… no?

Meant as a compliment to WC

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    It’s like the Wolf Creek of Canada…
    There.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

WW has better food.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    There.
    Ah… English is not my first language

Learn something every day

Anyone doing Red and Revy on an Ikon pass, if it is snowing, needs to stop at Whitewater on the way. Off the 2k' vert Morning Glory chair there is outstanding black diamond tree skiing that 3/4s of the way down one encounters a cat track option or continue and it becomes double black diamond trees. Adult lift tickets: $115CAD.

Edit: On second thought, if it is snowing, stay put. If it is raining at Red, which it sometimes does, then head to Whitewater as it is one of the higher elevation ski hills in B.C. while Red is one of the lower elevation and gets similar weather to Stevens Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    WW has better food.
    And steeper terrain. If you want some pitch to turn and burn WC comes up short, very very short.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

^^Flat benches, short pitches and dead trees. I never understood the hype, but I snowboard, so what do I know?

Holy shit lodging is expensive at the mountains in SLC / any of these mountains. Banff seems a bit better. Or, Dolomites or Zermatt seem to be totaling up to be a much cheaper trip for us.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    WW has better food.
    Still good same folks running the food service show? Went there 10+ years ago and it was the best ski lodge food I'd ever had. Great mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Holy shit lodging is expensive at the mountains in SLC / any of these mountains. Banff seems a bit better. Or, Dolomites or Zermatt seem to be totaling up to be a much cheaper trip for us.

Thanks for the help so far though.
    I was noticing that too. Canada looks to be a good option with the exchange rate. However, still not a lot of flight options from my neck of the woods to Canukistan though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Yup. Much cheaper lodging, light-years better food (while also being cheaper than here), drop-dead scenery...

For not having much freedumb, the Euros sure do seem to be living right. Strongly considering becoming an ex-pat in Western Europe if I can just get these goddam kids off the payroll.

Know how to speaka that Italian talk?