Page 204 of 266 FirstFirst ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 6644

Thread: Ikon Pass

Snooze you loose on the WP reservations. I was able to log on right away and click out our 10 weekend days throughout dec/jan/feb, including Christmas without issue.

Stoked for this year!! Wifey and I are booked out for most weekends of the season. Obviously we won’t be able to be as flexible and chase storms like we normally would, but navigating the system has been pretty easy if your on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    I am on team skier compaction. That untouched and unskied colorado early season sugar is harder to ski. Look at how they do the highland bowl. Compaction and breaking up layers is what its all about. Steamboat leaving the untouched for christmas week is short sighted at best.
    Highly agree. You know something's amiss when certain patrollers wanted to open more terrain because we actually could (as in the last 2 years early season) and got shut down by Alterra. They became somewhat vocal about it, that and the reconfiguration of lines last year at Storm and Pony (only enter from one side). Those were corporate decisions highlighting the preference of ticket/lodging customers over passholders, even in times of plentiful conditions, and because some special visitors complained it 'favored the locals'.

Alterra and the local mucky mucks higher up will never admit to it, but they are holding out terrain for the brunt of business, as few runs as possible until the last minute, it's blatantly obvious. Yay, they are opening Sundown and they count the catwalk getting there as a run. BFD. Our lower elevation plus variable storms means it will cost them even more money with snowmaking to keep avail terrain free from rocks and detritus that would hinder their ability to further advertise Champagne Powder™. Opening more lifts right now will certainly take pressure off the pinch points at the base, but there's still only 1 or 2 runs down from each lift. They can do better.

Heck, we had over 24 hours of sunshine and clear skies after that first storm on Monday, and they still didn't clear the "Storm Total" side of the pow cam. Sunshine again this morning, that mid-week system is now gone, and they still haven't cleared the right side. I don't mean to be all Karen-ish about this, but they are really giving too much say to the marketing team as of late. It's all about the optics.

What's the over/under of the boat going to reservations after the holidays? So many ppl bought Ikon this year because places like WP were pushing no reservations. With boat being a 'flagship' resort so-to-speak, I feel many more will now plan on coming here because 'no reservations', causing the same issues that WP had. Seems plausible.

If only it would dump consistently, then all of this wouldn't be an issue. Somebody needs to bump that Ullr thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    They became somewhat vocal about it, that and the reconfiguration of lines last year at Storm and Pony (only enter from one side).

What's the over/under of the boat going to reservations after the holidays? So many ppl bought Ikon this year because places like WP were pushing no reservations. With boat being a 'flagship' resort so-to-speak, I feel many more will now plan on coming here because 'no reservations', causing the same issues that WP had. Seems plausible.

If only it would dump consistently, then all of this wouldn't be an issue. Somebody needs to bump that Ullr thread!
    Yeah, how the heck does only opening one side of Storm hurt tourists? That was super annoying last year. I can live with one side of pony, not as big of a deal.

But I'm cancelling my visit this weekend. It's not worth the hassle cost and risk to rip blue groomers - I can do that at home. I won't get to see our friends up there, the area restaurants won't get my take out dollars, the place we stay won't get my fees. If they just had something open to count on - just give me an excuse. Give me something above or below Four Points, off the right side of Buddy's, a few runs off of Sundown - I could make that stuff work to justify it. There are only so many laps I can do under Burgess. If Oops is open, I would assume the Ridge was filled in enough to open.

Maybe they'll open it all this weekend, but I won't be there to enjoy. I'll come later.

Having said all that, in a non Covid year I'd probably be there anyway. And have already been there earlier, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    I am on team skier compaction. That untouched and unskied colorado early season sugar is harder to ski. Look at how they do the highland bowl. Compaction and breaking up layers is what its all about. Steamboat leaving the untouched for christmas week is short sighted at best.
    I'm on team skier compaction, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Highlands is way different in terms of terrain than Steamboat. Steamboat doesn't have a single slide path that compares with Highlands bowl, shit all of routt county likely doesn't have a slide path like that. It's why steamboat had such a laizze-faire approach to their uphill policy. The only areas with real avy danger at steamboat are the hike to areas like no name, xmas tree chute and st nicks, and those are short slide paths that likely aren't getting bigger than D2 in size.

That's definitely a bummer about the change in terrain opening at steamboat. When I lived in steamboat in 2016, they seemed to get terrain open fast, but we also had more snow that season at this point. I'm more bummed about the change in uphill policy and how slow they've been to roll it out.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    The only areas with real avy danger at steamboat are the hike to areas like no name, xmas tree chute and st nicks, and those are short slide paths that likely aren't getting bigger than D2 in size.
    No hiking necessary for xmas or chutes 1-3, and that's exactly where we had the avy last year, also early season IIRC. That dude got super lucky.

Alterra really has made a joke of things, actually making the days of ski corps look good. That being said, covid did put the development of the golf course zone on the back burner, at least for another year, so there's that.

2016 was amazing, skied 116 days there that year. Unforgettable!

Well Steamboat was pretty damn good today. A lot of new terrain opened today. It is thin need to keep your speed down but snow was great. Happy to be skiing and crowds were thin...no lines at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    2016 was amazing, skied 116 days there that year. Unforgettable!
    t'was a good year for the boat, had 2 great trips that year, rare timing

Quote Originally Posted by steadieflow View Post
    Well Steamboat was pretty damn good today. A lot of new terrain opened today. It is thin need to keep your speed down but snow was great. Happy to be skiing and crowds were thin...no lines at all.
    Bar UE and Sundown Saturday! Still amazing that it takes a global pandemic to force them to open more terrain and lifts earlier than they usually do and with a 25" base to boot. But that's awesome.

Restaurants in town just got an emergency variance from the state to open up at 25% starting today, Saturday, turning our dial to orange 'plus'. Things are starting to look up! All hail the tourists, money does indeed make the world go round.

Hoping everyone does their part to keep it safe and avoid spreading the covids.

Quote Originally Posted by jwe View Post
    make reservations for Big Sky and Jackson Hole... Has anyone brought this up?
    Attention JONG.

WE DO NOT WANT YOU AND YOUR VIRUS IN BIG SKY.

Seriously, stay away this year. Come back next year after we are all vaccinated and I will be glad to show you around.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

So, you only want Texans this year? Ya know as long as the lifts spin, folks will be coming. Unfortunate but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So, you only want Texans this year? Ya know as long as the lifts spin, folks will be coming. Unfortunate but true.
    Yep, you can't keep American's from traveling. And your sure as hell can't make them wear a mask.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Yep, you can't keep American's from traveling. And your sure as hell can't make them wear a mask.
    At Winter Park, they seem like they are doing an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    At Winter Park, they seem like they are doing an outstanding job.
    Really?

Winter Park two days ago, Friday, Dec 18th. Zoom in to see how far back the line goes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2677E9F-F0E7-424B-82AC-494410E75825.jpeg 
Views:	324 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	354026
    Last edited by ChaseBrooklyn; 12-20-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post
    Really?

Winter Park yesterday. Zoom in to see how far back the line goes...

holy ish.

looks like i picked the right year to not do ikon.

What lift and when is that? Somebody didn't get the memo about skiing non-peak times.

Holy crap.

Is that WP pic with reservations? Was there a significant mechanical issue?

Looks like the Pioneer chair.
    Quick - someone tell them that half that "territory" is flat as a pancake!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Looks like the Pioneer chair.
    Quick - someone tell them that half that "territory" is flat as a pancake!
    Thanks why I ask. If it is VR it has to be today right?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Is that WP pic with reservations? Was there a significant mechanical issue?
    That pic was taken at Winter Park on Friday, which I believe was the last day before the reservation system started.

No mechanical issues that I know of.

This is going to be a banner year.

That pic was taken at Winter Park on Friday, which I believe was the last day before the reservation system started.

No mechanical issues that I know of.

This is going to be a banner year.
    Makes sense. I stand by my doing a good job comment then.

Wait a second, did somebody just go over to Vasquez when it opened for the season and complain about lines during COVID and blame it on the ski area?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You can, if passports are needed.

Really?

Winter Park two days ago, Friday, Dec 18th. Zoom in to see how far back the line goes...

I hear the train a comin'
    It's rolling round the bend
    And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
    I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
    But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime