Page 194 of 268 FirstFirst ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 6693

Thread: Ikon Pass

The period to choose ended yesterday at midnight if I am not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    The period to choose ended yesterday at midnight if I am not mistaken.
    from the email I got at 9.58 this morning

As a reminder, your Ikon Pass comes with Adventure Assurance, which means you will receive a proportional credit toward the purchase of any 21/22 Ikon Pass should any eligible Ikon Pass destination experience a qualifying COVID-19 closure between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021.

There are two Adventure Assurance options to choose from and today, October 1 is the last day to decide which option best fits your winter plans. Your Adventure Assurance election does not impact the destinations you can ski or ride at during the 20/21 season.
    But never mind. It's working now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

While I have no plan to ski stratton this year, Would Stratton be a better choice for designation purposes because they are closer to NYC, have gondolas etc and more gapers bring the disease than Sugarbush?

I think Stratton is the best option.... Never heard those words uttered before.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Oh I didn't know that... Then sugarbush

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Stratton sounds like an okay guess, but they tend to close right around the Ikon Assurance end-of date of 4/11. Sugarbush tends to go much further into spring.

So suppose it doesn't snow much. They can propose they'da closed the Sunday nearest the Equinox NOT due to Covid. That's 21 days short of the full 123 day Assurance period. Mathematically, you'd get way less discount if say Covid shuts everything down for all of March and April...

Sugarbush discount = (31+11)/123 x your current Ikon price
    Stratton discount = (31+11-21)/123 x your current Ikon price

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    Stratton sounds like an okay guess, but they tend to close right around the Ikon Assurance end-of date of 4/11. Sugarbush tends to go much further into spring.

So suppose it doesn't snow much. They can propose they'da closed the Sunday nearest the Equinox NOT due to Covid. That's 21 days short of the full 123 day Assurance period. Mathematically, you'd get way less discount if say Covid shuts everything down for all of March and April...

Sugarbush discount = (31+11)/123 x your current Ikon price
    Stratton discount = (31+11-21)/123 x your current Ikon price
    Didn't think of it that way. I'm gonna stick with Stratton a d see what happens

Just pick the place you want most ski. Figure that if one ski resort in the region closes they all will--NE, Colorado, CA especially. The point of buying a ski pass is to ski, not to get some fraction of a credit for next year.

Reading through the faq, the assurance is a scam. Not reassuring.

1) only alterra resorts can be chosen
    Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain Resort, Eldora Mountain Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort, Stratton, Sugarbush Resort, Snowshoe, Crystal Mountain, Solitude Mountain Resort, Tremblant, and Blue Mountain

2) need 7 consecutive days or 21 days total of no lifts.
    “The destination is considered open as long as one lift or gondola operates for a portion of the Ikon Pass destination’s normal operating hours“

The only way alterra doesn’t run one lift is if the state makes them stop. I think the social distance ski proposals are well established and can be reasonably achieved. No way alterra will willingly allow a shutdown if they can help it.

Any resort hitting that threshold would be shocking.

I was planning on picking the NY resort, figuring Cuomo was most likely to lock down. But it’s not on the list

maybe crystal in OR is most likely to have a governor lockdown?

Now, I just don’t care about assurance insurance.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Just pick the place you want most ski. Figure that if one ski resort in the region closes they all will--NE, Colorado, CA especially. The point of buying a ski pass is to ski, not to get some fraction of a credit for next year.
    Nothing wrong with that, but what you wrote has nothing to do with how it works.

No matter where you did or didn't ski, on April 12th there will be a set of 16 numbers (choice All, and 15 specific places as choices) that'll be the same set for everybody. (It's impossible for choice All to be the highest number unless they're all 0, but) one or more of those numbers will be the highest. For folks who don't live paycheck-to-paycheck, the fun (or obvious, LOL) thing to do is try to guess which to choose.

Yikes, I see what you mean. I've spent too much time on this...

Nothing wrong with that, but what you wrote has nothing to do with how it works.

No matter where you did or didn't ski, on April 12th there will be a set of 16 numbers (choice All, and 15 specific places as choices) that'll be the same set for everybody. (It's impossible for choice All to be the highest number unless they're all 0, but) one or more of those numbers will be the highest. For folks who don't live paycheck-to-paycheck, the fun (or obvious, LOL) thing to do is try to guess which to choose.

Yikes, I see what you mean. I've spent too much time on this...
    I wonder if Vegas will be laying odds on IKON pass. What's the spread between Squaw and Alta?

(It's impossible for choice All to be the highest number unless they're all 0, but) one or more of those numbers will be the highest.
    There is a case where "All" will give the highest redemption aside from a total loss of the ski season. The "All" option has a lower day requirement of only losing 1 day of skiing before getting a refund of some sort. But, picking a resort has a higher minimum requirement of either 7 consecutive days or 21 disjointed days lost before getting a refund. So, if places close for only 1-6 days (or 7-20 off days but never a straight 7 days off), it would be better in that case to have selected the "All" option.

Personally, though, I selected Copper Mountain because the lottery aspect is too appealing to me, and it's my adopted home mountain.

"Personally, though, I selected Copper Mountain because the lottery aspect is too appealing to me, and it's my adopted home mountain."

I did the math and selected Winter Park. Proximity to Denver shuffle crowd being the driver with some out of state destination folks. Eldora was a close second, and maybe in retrospect, the "winner" due to recent activity in Boulder. None are my home mountain, hoping not to see it in the headlines this winter.
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1

Went for a ride at DV yesterday. While there, I spoke to a ticket agent re: locals pass and reservations. She said that there are no reservations, but there are advance purchase day tickets. Season passes and IKON always welcome. Day tickets may sell out on weekends and holidays. Business as usual.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wait until the first Cottonwood canyon closure.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    #bunnypretendstobelocalinaU210hoody
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

#doomandgloombunnienopositivez
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

My pass showed up yesterday. I haven’t been following along, if I don’t use the pass this season, I can roll it over for next?
    crab in my shoe mouth

If someone were to take a chance on getting a rental this winter and living that ikonic life, where would you choose? + for:

Cell/wifi coverage (I need to be able to check emails)
    Ease of getting back to rental or even vehicle if needed
    Ease of weekday skiing
    Decent rental prices
    Ease of access for other adventures if resorts are closed
    On Ikon pass
    + a state less likely to close than other ikonic states

I would have a vehicle.

My current lease is about to go month to month and with no sign of going back in the office, I'm tempted to try to pull something together. DC rental prices are much less palatable at the moment given everything and going elsewhere for at least the near-term seems very doable. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    #bunnypretendstobelocalinaU210hoody
    Experienced it last year, hippie. Water finds it own level. Close down a few resorts after a storm, everyone will crowd into the remaining Ikon hills. Fuck, it was an hour traffic jam just to get to DV.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    If someone were to take a chance on getting a rental this winter and living that ikonic life, where would you choose? + for:

Cell/wifi coverage (I need to be able to check emails)
    Ease of getting back to rental or even vehicle if needed
    Ease of weekday skiing
    Decent rental prices
    Ease of access for other adventures if resorts are closed
    On Ikon pass
    + a state less likely to close than other ikonic states

I would have a vehicle.

My current lease is about to go month to month and with no sign of going back in the office, I'm tempted to try to pull something together. DC rental prices are much less palatable at the moment given everything and going elsewhere for at least the near-term seems very doable. TIA
    This https://www.snowshoemtn.com/ checks all the boxes.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Someplace not on the ikon unlimited pass. But if those are the only options, Squaw or Mammoth. Try to get a slope side or walk to lift rental.

Engelberg, or Warth. If it had to be IKON, I would say Revelstoke or Big Sky
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Revy hands down it isn’t even close

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    Can't get across the border to Canada unless you've got relatives or a romantic relationship with someone for +1 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#immediate

Assuming you mean a place to ski for more than a week, I think SLC is your best bet.

Unlike other options, 1) there isnt good lodging options right next to the lift and 2) no legal recreational MMJ.. But it wins in almost every other regard:

There are 5 ikon destinations within an hour of SLC, incl some of the best resorts on the pass. You have endless days at solitude. Housing in SLC is cheap compared to destination mountain towns or the CA options. UT is less likely to have state ordered closures than CA / CO (unless we reallyyyy shit the bed, which we might). Endless access to National forests if there is a closure. Big sky and Jackson are available as weekend trips.

I made the permanent move out here from DC in February... 100% glad I did.

Re: working remotely, I've done it quite a bit from the parking lots of the resorts in the canyons. FWIW I was tethering on verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Engelberg, or Warth. If it had to be IKON, I would say Revelstoke or Big Sky
    Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    Ikon only gets 7 days at either and both are remote.

What is decent rent?