Page 129 of 140 FirstFirst ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3481

Thread: Ikon Pass

I’ve assumed labor costs and availability is why they flipped the model to make holidays less busy due to black out pass sales.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I didn't watch many cartoons as a kid.
    Or baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Or baseball.
    Didn't think that needed explanation.

But thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post

so maybe you don't care about quality and you're fine sharing the back bowls with all of denver and you buy an epic pass, but I don't believe it, because it sounds like you know quality. there will be enough people who care about quality to pay to support good independent resorts with storied brand names and history. and I might be an idealist, but why did these wealthy people invest their wealth into a ski resort of all things, when they could have chosen so many other higher-returning investments? some part of them cares about the product and the quality, and if they feel like they could pull out and probably make similar money, they might do that. if their goal is to maximize returns at the expense of everything else, I have no clue how they were dumb enough to buy a ski resort.

in any case, you might be right that "flexibility" for independent resorts will convince them to stay on the pass in some form. but it might take the form of 2 days instead of 5 on base, and the full ikon might be 5 with blackouts instead of 7. who knows? but if that happened, it eliminates the incentive for repeat customers outside of the intermountain west to buy a base pass instead of a multi-day lift pass.
    Good points all around, Lester.

Yes, quality experience is of paramount importance to me, and I'm willing to pay for it too. However, it's not just the terrain and annual snowfall that determine it. For me, and a lot of people, it's the crowds, and crowds are not just long lift lines. If only that were the case...

I'm meeting more and more people each day that are going over to ski touring. For them, and increasingly myself, it's not just the long lift lines, it's the traffic getting to the mountain, and the bad vides of powder panic in the lift line, and the race to get first tracks each day, only to watch huge mountain faces completely tracked out in a matter of minutes.

Last week at Snowbird on a bluebird day. Mineral basin (which is freakin huge) had been closed for 3 or 4 days due to a big storm. I must have been one of at least a hundred out there waiting for ski patrol to open it up. Some guys had been waiting over an hour. When the rope finally dropped, it was a mob rush to the bottom... kills the whole vibe and serenity of skiing powder.

Whole thing tracked out about less than an hour which allowed for about 3/4 sends due to the massive lift line at the bottom.

So yeah, I'm seriously considering ski touring next season too, and it has nothing to do with the cost of skiing at big resorts.

If you waited around for an hour for Minnie to open and expected something different then I don’t know how to help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If you waited around for an hour for Minnie to open and expected something different then I don’t know how to help you...
    Well, at least it's one way to get to Alta ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Is Mineral that south facing basin that seems to have the biggest crowds at the bird? 15 years ago the rope drop to even just the bookends would get a crowd built up.

^ yup

Right. There is a silver lining to mineral openings, but you'll have to figure that one out on your own.

If you go to the Bird on a weekend and don't come prepared to ski chop, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Right. There is a silver lining to mineral openings, but you'll have to figure that one out on your own.

If you go to the Bird on a weekend and don't come prepared to ski chop, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    IMO one of the reasons Alta/Bird consistently cranks out top pro skiers isn’t the pow. It’s the in between days of tram laps and High T runs at full speed through chop and soft bumps. Want to get good at going fast through marginal conditions? Chase LCC pros around for a couple years.

IMO one of the reasons Alta/Bird consistently cranks out top pro skiers isn’t the pow. It’s the in between days of tram laps and High T runs at full speed through chop and soft bumps. Want to get good at going fast through marginal conditions? Chase LCC pros around for a couple years.
    You aren't wrong.
    "No bad snow, only bad skiers"

To keep us on topic, other than traverse tracks everywhere, I find certain types of terrain the snow is staying better for longer this year, because the Ikon tourists don't know the mountain as well.

Ikon Pass

^^^interesting. Hope it stays that way. That was the result at Kirkwood right after Vail purchased. Been 8 years and more folks have found more of the books and crannies. Still some good zones left hidden, but we still have just as many new traverse slopes.

Imagine with the scope of your hill and the tourist nature of your visitors, it will stay good longer.

A little story about ikon passes: Yesterday skiing with uglymoney and east or bust at Taos, we were getting scanned at a lift by a really cute little blond liftie. She was all business looking down at the passes and scanned the other two guys’ ikon passes, but when she got to my regular local Taos pass she did a double take, looked up at me and gave a big smile and said “hi!”

Lifties profiling on ikon passes...
    And I guess that I just don't know

Hell of a story, bro.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    A little story about ikon passes: Yesterday skiing with uglymoney and east or bust at Taos, we were getting scanned at a lift by a really cute little blond liftie. She was all business looking down at the passes and scanned the other two guys’ ikon passes, but when she got to my regular local Taos pass she did a double take, looked up at me and gave a big smile and said “hi!”

Lifties profiling on ikon passes...
    This is a pretty unscientific observation. The local pass probably didn't hurt but it was also one good looking genteel skier and two stinking, ugly (speaking for myself) Ikonic dudes who had been sleeping in our cars and farting on our ski pants all week. Of course you got the smile

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Hell of a story, bro.
    The teacher must have called for Unfunny Dick's opinion and right on cue here you are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Hell of a story, bro.
    Have anything to say about ikon passes that isn’t kind of stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    This is a pretty unscientific observation. The local pass probably didn't hurt but it was also one good looking genteel skier and two stinking, ugly (speaking for myself) Ikonic dudes who had been sleeping in our cars and farting on our ski pants all week. Of course you got the smile
    Hey, I saw what I saw. But that was undeservedly kind...and undeservedly self deprecating.
    And I guess that I just don't know

I'm super stoked! Got my envelope full of IKON swag in the mail today! A key chain. A bumper sticker ("All friends on a powder day"--I don't think that's right is it?) , a window sticker, a couple of postcards--big ones--and sheet of little sticker figures I can use to customize one of the post cards, a cloth patch--iron on maybe?, assorted other stickers. I only wish I had enough places to put all this stuff. I'm headed down to the garage right now to get started.

BTW--I actually saw an IKON sticker on a car today. At Sugar Bowl.
    Last edited by old goat; 01-28-2020 at 11:03 PM.

^^^ say wha'?
    Getting yours kinda late aren't you?
    My buddy Miqy reckons we should mail all that crap back to them. Make a point about the environment and what not...
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FWIW...was crowded at AlpineMeadows but the lines weren't bad after the am rush cleared.
    Yeah, because it's all tracked out in a half hour!!!...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170124_115546.jpeg 
Views:	146 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	312823

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Wasn't me... but I have both an Ikon pass and a Sugar Bowl pass. But let's not talk about Sugar Bowl... it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Wasn't me... but I have both an Ikon pass and a Sugar Bowl pass. But let's not talk about Sugar Bowl... it sucks.
    Yeah--if it was any good maybe more people would ski there.
    As far as the swag--they probably mailed it in May but the Truckee post office being what it is . . . . (Actually I ordered my pass the last day they were selling them; wasn't sure I was going to be skiing this season.)

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    FWIW... at Sugarloaf, Maine a Boyne owned resort and Ikon Pass member last Thursday:

Walk up day rate ticket was $105.
    Online the night before day rate ticket was $89.
    My Ikon visit day rate ticket appears to have been $46.

I was a bit baffled when the nice old lady at the ticket counter handed me the receipt with what I can only assume discloses the rate that Ikon will re-imburse Boyne for my day of skiing.
    Thx for sharing. We all wondered in the beginning at what rate they got reimbursed.

I wonder if it changes for each user as they consume too many days.
    If you hit all 5 at the loaf they get $230. If you used another five at Kmart they get $230?
    And so on. Pretty easy for ikon corporate to lose money that way.

However not everyone skis that much. Hell you can justify the ikon pass just by skiing at one resort vs the day ticket prices.

As for the loaf getting an extra $46 ain’t bad

Went there last weekend for the first time and spent the lift ticket “savings” on a sweet ski in ski out lodging. So Boyne resorts won bigly on me
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

I'm super stoked! Got my envelope full of IKON swag in the mail today! A key chain. A bumper sticker ("All friends on a powder day"--I don't think that's right is it?) , a window sticker, a couple of postcards--big ones--and sheet of little sticker figures I can use to customize one of the post cards, a cloth patch--iron on maybe?, assorted other stickers. I only wish I had enough places to put all this stuff. I'm headed down to the garage right now to get started.

So goat we have received 7 of those packets for 3 passes.

Seems they would have been better off sending everyone a single goggle lens protector, that way everyone on the shuttle would have a big IKON on their forehead.

Or a poly knock gaiter.

Something most people would bother using because it improves the skier experience.

My kid has been warned to not put an ikon sticker anywhere someone may see it outside of Santa Cruz.

Is that guy at Sugarbowl hoping for deflated tires? Or maybe that is why he is at Sugarbowl. Can’t take that car around the corner safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Thx for sharing. We all wondered in the beginning at what rate they got reimbursed.

I wonder if it changes for each user as they consume too many days.
    If you hit all 5 at the loaf they get $230. If you used another five at Kmart they get $230?
    And so on. Pretty easy for ikon corporate to lose money that way.

However not everyone skis that much. Hell you can justify the ikon pass just by skiing at one resort vs the day ticket prices.

As for the loaf getting an extra $46 ain’t bad

Went there last weekend for the first time and spent the lift ticket “savings” on a sweet ski in ski out lodging. So Boyne resorts won bigly on me

That's pretty crazy they only get $46/day. I don't even look at those receipts, but I should. I wonder if its the same at the other Boyne resorts.

The loaf this weekend was awesome. Bit of a rain crust on Sunday AM but once it warmed up and got minced it was soft and fun.

I live in Portland, ME so I do my 5 days at SR + SL and then usually 1-2 trips out west a year. Ikon is the best choice for me bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So goat we have received 7 of those packets for 3 passes.

Seems they would have been better off sending everyone a single goggle lens protector, that way everyone on the shuttle would have a big IKON on their forehead.

Or a poly knock gaiter.

Something most people would bother using because it improves the skier experience.

My kid has been warned to not put an ikon sticker anywhere someone may see it outside of Santa Cruz.

Is that guy at Sugarbowl hoping for deflated tires? Or maybe that is why he is at Sugarbowl. Can’t take that car around the corner safely.
    A food voucher would have been nice
    Anf if anyone can figure out what the Squalpine GM drives and where he parks maybe the North Tahoe Truckee locals can cover all the windows with IKON stickers.

Is it safe to assume that if you want to ride on a blackout day there is no discount for base pass holders? Just realizing I'm going to be visiting during a blackout period. Works out on some other levels, but SMH at how Valentine's day warrants a blackout.