Page 119 of 122 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3046

Thread: Ikon Pass

  1. #2951
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,822
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    ...
    We are actually going to ski Copper this year just because I have a long time friend who works at a bar at the base, I want to show my 9 year old an old old haunt, it is not blacked out on MLK weekend, and it is on the way to Aspen. I expect her to be underwhelmed but it is a good mountain....
    Ski Cooper is fun. The new Poma lift off the backside is gonna be soft snow in trees for days.

    Sunlight is another great stop on the way to Aspen.

  2. #2952
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,877
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Ski Cooper is fun. The new Poma lift off the backside is gonna be soft snow in trees for days.

    Sunlight is another great stop on the way to Aspen.
    I haven't skied either place in maybe three decades but really do want to go back to both. I camped up by Sunlight last Feb and they had so much snow....it just looked fabulous. Alas Ajax and Highlands were even better.



    Also you motivated me to look up the info on the Cooper expansion....https://www.skicooper.com/tennessee-creek-basin/ Like some said below, not Ikon but not expensive either.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCB-Trail-map-for-Website-Blog-page.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	300554

  3. #2953
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    11,080
    Must Make It To Big Sky This Season!
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  4. #2954
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Ski Cooper is fun. The new Poma lift off the backside is gonna be soft snow in trees for days.

    Sunlight is another great stop on the way to Aspen.
    Neither of those are on Ikon


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #2955
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    27
    They're both on the GEMS card if you're thinking about making the trip though

  6. #2956
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Must Make It To Big Sky This Season!
    PM me if you want a shack tour.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	300563
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2102.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	300564



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  7. #2957
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yep. I will say, though, that the experience of staying in Sandy is very much not a "ski" experience. It's affordable, and the skiing in LCC/BCC is great. But if I was traveling a long distance for a ski trip, I'd be looking for more than a motel in a suburban concrete wasteland. There's something about ski towns and that whole experience that is sorely lacking. But if skiing awesome terrain on the cheap is THE goal, it's a great option.
    The Mexican food is cheap and awesome.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  8. #2958
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yep. I will say, though, that the experience of staying in Sandy is very much not a "ski" experience. It's affordable, and the skiing in LCC/BCC is great. But if I was traveling a long distance for a ski trip, I'd be looking for more than a motel in a suburban concrete wasteland. There's something about ski towns and that whole experience that is sorely lacking. But if skiing awesome terrain on the cheap is THE goal, it's a great option.
    Funny thing about this is, as a guy who lives in a ski town, I find it nice to go somewhere and stay in a real community and pay 1/2 price for everything compared to what I do at home. A recent bike trip to Grand Junction highlighted this for me. Almost had the wife convinced to buy a house there. And the tacos are pretty good there too, so there's that.

  9. #2959
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The Mexican food is cheap and awesome.
    Haha this is great, I actually went out for Mexican last night.

  10. #2960
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,462
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Funny thing about this is, as a guy who lives in a ski town, I find it nice to go somewhere and stay in a real community and pay 1/2 price for everything compared to what I do at home. A recent bike trip to Grand Junction highlighted this for me. Almost had the wife convinced to buy a house there. And the tacos are pretty good there too, so there's that.
    Totally get that. It doesn't bother me when I travel there either. But while I don't live in summit or eagle counties, ski towns and the Colorado ski town vibe isn't new or unique to me either. So the La Quinta Inn near I-15 has worked well for my LCC/BCC adventures, but it might be disappointing to someone making his first ski trip out west, that's all I'm pointing out.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  11. #2961
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Totally get that. It doesn't bother me when I travel there either. But while I don't live in summit or eagle counties, ski towns and the Colorado ski town vibe isn't new or unique to me either. So the La Quinta Inn near I-15 has worked well for my LCC/BCC adventures, but it might be disappointing to someone making his first ski trip out west, that's all I'm pointing out.
    Yeah, definitely true. Forgot we were talking about a 15 yo's ski trip still. I'd take him to WP, or maybe Copper, definitely ski Abasin with him too. Hopefully the East Wall and Steep Gullies are open by then.
    Alta/Bird is pretty boring to stay at unless he's the kind of kid who is gonna ski bell to bell and pass out. However, if this were solely about terrain and snow, I'd go Alta/Bird.

  12. #2962
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,021
    Funny thing about this is, as a guy who lives in a ski town, I find it nice to go somewhere and stay in a real community and pay 1/2 price for everything compared to what I do at home. A recent bike trip to Grand Junction highlighted this for me. Almost had the wife convinced to buy a house there. And the tacos are pretty good there too, so there's that.
    Totally. When we got to Utah to ski, we will hit the IMAX, maybe do some shopping at the outlet malls, visit some friends, eat out for less that 25% of my mortgage payment etc.

  13. #2963
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,808
    Pulling up Yelp when you are out of a ski town, for me, is like a permanent boner.

  14. #2964
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Totally. When we got to Utah to ski, we will hit the IMAX, maybe do some shopping at the outlet malls, visit some friends, eat out for less that 25% of my mortgage payment etc.
    I almost went to Outback Steakhouse.
    Wife always wants to grocery shop at the local City Market before a trip. I always have to point out that the food will be cheaper everywhere but here. And the grocery store isn't nuts-to-butts 24-7!

  15. #2965
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,021
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I almost went to Outback Steakhouse.
    Wife always wants to grocery shop at the local City Market before a trip. I always have to point out that the food will be cheaper everywhere but here. And the grocery store isn't nuts-to-butts 24-7!
    Our grocery stores are so bad that I look forward the the City Market in Eagle! I always try to buy groceries and gas in the towns I vacation in. I bitch about PBR on the tailgate around here so I try and practice what I preach. Plus, Harmons and Mavricks is, as Makers says, boner city compared to Safeway and Kum & Go.

  16. #2966
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,808
    There is a funny, and very true story, about how Outback Steakhouse is the singular reason I moved to a ski town 15 something years ago.

  17. #2967
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    There is a funny, and very true story, about how Outback Steakhouse is the singular reason I moved to a ski town 15 something years ago.
    They are installing a "Pod Hotel" where the Outback in Avon used to be.

  18. #2968
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,808
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    They are installing a "Pod Hotel" where the Outback in Avon used to be.
    I'm a very big reason why it is not there anymore. And why I am, and can't afford a pod, or a hotel.

  19. #2969
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,089
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Word. Or fly him/you into Bozeman and ski Big Sky and Bridger.
    Guaranfuckinteed he will want to move to either JH or the Ďzone after that visit. Hell, i did.
    > Alta/Bird/Solly/Brighton
    > Copper/A-Basin
    > Bridger/Big Sky
    > Jackson
    > Maybe stay in Glenood Springs ---> Highlands with maybe a warm-up day at Sunlight

    Seems to me, you want to introduce him to a big mountain experience.

    Traveling 2k miles to ski bump runs doesn't make sense to me, but maybe your kid will eat this up.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  20. #2970
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm a very big reason why it is not there anymore. And why I am, and can't afford a pod, or a hotel.
    Haha, your last name Hoffman? kidding.

  21. #2971
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,029

    Ikon Pass

    For what itís worth, we stayed in Sandy as a family with a 17 and 14 year old and it was great. Didnít have that mtn vibe like Crested Butte or something, but we got up each day, ate breakfast, went straight to Alta/Bird, skied till the bell, drove back to the hotel, went out to dinner, then came back, hit the hot tub, and crashed. Repeat all week. Was awesome.

    But the focus was on the skiing, so if you are looking for a mtn vibe, maybe it wouldnít be so great.

  22. #2972
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,152
    What mountain vibe is there really left in any "big" ski town?

    JH maybe but Big Sky isn't and never was, PC was, CB and to an extent, Aspen/Telluride probably have a little left.
    Ooof!

  23. #2973
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    7,907
    I thought Steamboat had good feels, when I was there last year. Wish it was steeper, but that town is pretty fucking sweet.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  24. #2974
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    New Ikon email:
    $50 off till 11/6.
    $1,049 vs. $1,099
    Or
    $749 vs. $799
    Code: LOYALTY

    FYI.
    Someone bought a pass with one of my unused codes the other day and was able to get $100 off. PM me if you are still looking. Might be worth seeing if he other ones still work.

  25. #2975
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Bada Bing Bada Boom.

    Fucking nailed it Mag.

    About 90 minutes flytime from the big tent airport, DIA. Worlds apart in experience.

    The JH gangsters will make a Mag of the lad in short order.

    Is he well mannered?

    Does he smoke weed?

    ~~~just kidding~~~

    I'd be amped to introduce him to BIG mountain skiing. Teach him the vibe. Show him the sidecountry...

    Maybe introduce him to some true Lifers, Masters of the TURN.

    I'll pick ya up at the airport.
    I was going to chime in in support of JHMR and HostelX. The. I read this post. If you donít take Djongo up on this life, I think you are failing at life. Mountain guide AND airport shuttle. Holy shit. Go to Jackson.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •