Page 118 of 268 FirstFirst ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 6694

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yep. I will say, though, that the experience of staying in Sandy is very much not a "ski" experience. It's affordable, and the skiing in LCC/BCC is great. But if I was traveling a long distance for a ski trip, I'd be looking for more than a motel in a suburban concrete wasteland. There's something about ski towns and that whole experience that is sorely lacking. But if skiing awesome terrain on the cheap is THE goal, it's a great option.
    Funny thing about this is, as a guy who lives in a ski town, I find it nice to go somewhere and stay in a real community and pay 1/2 price for everything compared to what I do at home. A recent bike trip to Grand Junction highlighted this for me. Almost had the wife convinced to buy a house there. And the tacos are pretty good there too, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The Mexican food is cheap and awesome.
    Haha this is great, I actually went out for Mexican last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Funny thing about this is, as a guy who lives in a ski town, I find it nice to go somewhere and stay in a real community and pay 1/2 price for everything compared to what I do at home. A recent bike trip to Grand Junction highlighted this for me. Almost had the wife convinced to buy a house there. And the tacos are pretty good there too, so there's that.
    Totally get that. It doesn't bother me when I travel there either. But while I don't live in summit or eagle counties, ski towns and the Colorado ski town vibe isn't new or unique to me either. So the La Quinta Inn near I-15 has worked well for my LCC/BCC adventures, but it might be disappointing to someone making his first ski trip out west, that's all I'm pointing out.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Totally get that. It doesn't bother me when I travel there either. But while I don't live in summit or eagle counties, ski towns and the Colorado ski town vibe isn't new or unique to me either. So the La Quinta Inn near I-15 has worked well for my LCC/BCC adventures, but it might be disappointing to someone making his first ski trip out west, that's all I'm pointing out.
    Yeah, definitely true. Forgot we were talking about a 15 yo's ski trip still. I'd take him to WP, or maybe Copper, definitely ski Abasin with him too. Hopefully the East Wall and Steep Gullies are open by then.
    Alta/Bird is pretty boring to stay at unless he's the kind of kid who is gonna ski bell to bell and pass out. However, if this were solely about terrain and snow, I'd go Alta/Bird.

Totally. When we got to Utah to ski, we will hit the IMAX, maybe do some shopping at the outlet malls, visit some friends, eat out for less that 25% of my mortgage payment etc.

Pulling up Yelp when you are out of a ski town, for me, is like a permanent boner.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Totally. When we got to Utah to ski, we will hit the IMAX, maybe do some shopping at the outlet malls, visit some friends, eat out for less that 25% of my mortgage payment etc.
    I almost went to Outback Steakhouse.
    Wife always wants to grocery shop at the local City Market before a trip. I always have to point out that the food will be cheaper everywhere but here. And the grocery store isn't nuts-to-butts 24-7!

I almost went to Outback Steakhouse.
    Wife always wants to grocery shop at the local City Market before a trip. I always have to point out that the food will be cheaper everywhere but here. And the grocery store isn't nuts-to-butts 24-7!
    Our grocery stores are so bad that I look forward the the City Market in Eagle! I always try to buy groceries and gas in the towns I vacation in. I bitch about PBR on the tailgate around here so I try and practice what I preach. Plus, Harmons and Mavricks is, as Makers says, boner city compared to Safeway and Kum & Go.

There is a funny, and very true story, about how Outback Steakhouse is the singular reason I moved to a ski town 15 something years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    There is a funny, and very true story, about how Outback Steakhouse is the singular reason I moved to a ski town 15 something years ago.
    They are installing a "Pod Hotel" where the Outback in Avon used to be.

They are installing a "Pod Hotel" where the Outback in Avon used to be.
    I'm a very big reason why it is not there anymore. And why I am, and can't afford a pod, or a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Word. Or fly him/you into Bozeman and ski Big Sky and Bridger.
    Guaranfuckinteed he will want to move to either JH or the ‘zone after that visit. Hell, i did.
    > Alta/Bird/Solly/Brighton
    > Copper/A-Basin
    > Bridger/Big Sky
    > Jackson
    > Maybe stay in Glenood Springs ---> Highlands with maybe a warm-up day at Sunlight

Seems to me, you want to introduce him to a big mountain experience.

Traveling 2k miles to ski bump runs doesn't make sense to me, but maybe your kid will eat this up.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm a very big reason why it is not there anymore. And why I am, and can't afford a pod, or a hotel.
    Haha, your last name Hoffman? kidding.

Ikon Pass

For what it’s worth, we stayed in Sandy as a family with a 17 and 14 year old and it was great. Didn’t have that mtn vibe like Crested Butte or something, but we got up each day, ate breakfast, went straight to Alta/Bird, skied till the bell, drove back to the hotel, went out to dinner, then came back, hit the hot tub, and crashed. Repeat all week. Was awesome.

But the focus was on the skiing, so if you are looking for a mtn vibe, maybe it wouldn’t be so great.

What mountain vibe is there really left in any "big" ski town?

JH maybe but Big Sky isn't and never was, PC was, CB and to an extent, Aspen/Telluride probably have a little left.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I thought Steamboat had good feels, when I was there last year. Wish it was steeper, but that town is pretty fucking sweet.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    New Ikon email:
    $50 off till 11/6.
    $1,049 vs. $1,099
    Or
    $749 vs. $799
    Code: LOYALTY

FYI.
    Someone bought a pass with one of my unused codes the other day and was able to get $100 off. PM me if you are still looking. Might be worth seeing if he other ones still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Bada Bing Bada Boom.

Fucking nailed it Mag.

About 90 minutes flytime from the big tent airport, DIA. Worlds apart in experience.

The JH gangsters will make a Mag of the lad in short order.

Is he well mannered?

Does he smoke weed?

~~~just kidding~~~

I'd be amped to introduce him to BIG mountain skiing. Teach him the vibe. Show him the sidecountry...

Maybe introduce him to some true Lifers, Masters of the TURN.

I'll pick ya up at the airport.
    I was going to chime in in support of JHMR and HostelX. The. I read this post. If you don’t take Djongo up on this life, I think you are failing at life. Mountain guide AND airport shuttle. Holy shit. Go to Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Someone bought a pass with one of my unused codes the other day and was able to get $100 off. PM me if you are still looking. Might be worth seeing if he other ones still work.
    It was 150 off the base pass. So 650. Killer deal this late in the year. Thanks again I owe you one.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    It was 150 off the base pass. So 650. Killer deal this late in the year. Thanks again I owe you one.

Wow that is killer. I paid 619 with a code in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Kudos to OT for setting that up. Saved a lot of people money.

I really didn't want to support ikon seeing how they're kinda throwing a wrench in the industry but there's the Djongo factor so it made sense but honestly without the code I wouldn't have paid full price I just would have made one trip to JH instead of 2.now I can ski crystal unlimited which I probably won't because it's too far but I might go once since I haven't been in almost 30 years.

I don't want to be happy about the I*** pass, but dammit, More people skiing more/better places is a good thing.

My golden time in JH is still on, but changing no doubt.

Fucking excellent work Ottime, hooking the mags; Especially the Big Dog, SVS. He is really fun to ski with and now we're gonna have more days cuzza you, thanks...

~~
    The Djongo Factor sounds like some Star Trek episode from 1968.

Love it.

And the offer for you, JHyatt, stands. Don't know if I've ever had a bad experience showing someone around JH. And your initials, well...

Although I owe Warthog a really great time, kinda lost him once. Bring the kids, they're ready.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-02-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: still shocked that I wrote the first line...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    PM Sent. Tempting for sure...

I you've got the $ I'd totally stay on the hill. GMD is a blast. But fucking expensive. If budget is a concern staying in Sandy, while not a 'ski town experience' can be great. You can hang at the GMD or at the 'bird, or wherever until you want to drive down.

If money's not an issue stay at Alta for sure.

Yep. I will say, though, that the experience of staying in Sandy is very much not a "ski" experience. It's affordable, and the skiing in LCC/BCC is great. But if I was traveling a long distance for a ski trip, I'd be looking for more than a motel in a suburban concrete wasteland. There's something about ski towns and that whole experience that is sorely lacking. But if skiing awesome terrain on the cheap is THE goal, it's a great option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.