Page 105 of 119 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 2964

Thread: Ikon Pass

  1. #2601
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That's the nub of it with either Ikon or Epic.

    This is not good for the industry or the skier long term.
    That may be true. I have learned it's tough to predict the future. But I see the past fairly clearly, and Ikon last year was totally kick ass for me.

  2. #2602
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    That may be true. I have learned it's tough to predict the future. But I see the past fairly clearly, and Ikon last year was totally kick ass for me.
    I understand.

    I skied for free at BS too on my Crystal pass. It was great, my first time, so I didn't notice the decrease in experience or how longer the tram line was. Get days at Alpental too! If I want to risk being stoned by the locals.

    We're being treated like sous vide frogs.

    It doesn't require prediction. Duopolies are rarely good for the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  3. #2603
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Get days at Alpental too! If I want to risk being stoned by the locals.

    We're being treated like sous vide frogs.
    If yer getting sous vide'd, might as well get stoned.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  4. #2604
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    If yer getting sous vide'd, might as well get stoned.
    Ha I was going to say the locals are more than generous with their stoning.

    And I bet oftpiste has a sous vide frog recipe up his sleeve

  5. #2605
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Epic created more demand than AB had parking capacity. AB can max out parking on Ikon+MC even if they have less ppl than Ikon. AB will make more $.
    Because IKONers hate to carpool?

    I really donít mind maxed out parking on weekends. Keep the place in business. Parking in the upper lots isnít that bad if you just walk across the road to CDOT.

  6. #2606
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,305
    What is the argument here? There's a lot of trains of thought in here so it's not clear, but is the argument that AB is wrong, that their business decision to go Ikon/MC will result in less revenue for them? I have a hard time imagining that, if the numbers bounced around in this thread are even close to accurate re reimbursement rate from VR/Alterra. Moreover, I have a hard time imagining it because the people who have the actual numbers -- ABasin management -- made this business decision. And not out of the goodness of their hearts to us Ikoners.

    Or is the argument more the "I wanted to ski AB and buy an Epic pass, and now that is more expensive so I am going to bitch about what a dumb decision AB made"?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  7. #2607
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What is the argument here? There's a lot of trains of thought in here so it's not clear, but is the argument that AB is wrong, that their business decision to go Ikon/MC will result in less revenue for them? I have a hard time imagining that, if the numbers bounced around in this thread are even close to accurate re reimbursement rate from VR/Alterra. Moreover, I have a hard time imagining it because the people who have the actual numbers -- ABasin management -- made this business decision. And not out of the goodness of their hearts to us Ikoners.

    Or is the argument more the "I wanted to ski AB and buy an Epic pass, and now that is more expensive so I am going to bitch about what a dumb decision AB made"?
    I don't think that anyone has made a fact or rationally based argument as to how its bad for skiers or the industry. But the IKON for one has really been a lightning rod of local discontent. A scapegoat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  8. #2608
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That's the nub of it with either Ikon or Epic.

    It's easy to get carried away by it being good for your purse but to ignore the fact the experience is actually being more crowded.

    And far easier for the visitor to feel it in the purse.

    This is not good for the industry or the skier long term.
    People should just not ski at these places, you know, to save the experience for others. Well, mainly you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  9. #2609
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    People should just not ski at these places, you know, to save the experience for others. Well, mainly you.
    You're missing the point completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  10. #2610
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,196
    all these people skiing is killing the sport. When I started skiing in CO 25 years ago it cost $1100 for a pass to Vail and Beaver Creek. It was still pretty damn busy, long lift lines, traffic etc. Now I can get a pass to a shitload of resorts, for less than a grand, and ski anywhere I want. Living through the evolution of the Epic pass has really not been nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Of course, I have a flexible schedule and ski 80-100 days a season, so maybe Iím just used to it and know when and where to go. I rarely wait in lift lines honestly.

    If Epikon is going to ruin skiing, I havenít seen it yet.

  11. #2611
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You're missing the point completely.
    Well, what is your point?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  12. #2612
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    all these people skiing is killing the sport.
    Yeah. Quit skiing people!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  13. #2613
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Well, what is your point?
    ]
    US ski areas being swallowed up by an ever bigger duopoly. Evidence of the "experience" being worsened ... although cheaper... but only for some (those paying more - or getting less are usually locals for whom the travelling benefits are less valuable then for brekfast buffet crowd). The pressure on smaller independent ski areas... it's been discussed here before at length... long term this is not going to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  14. #2614
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729

    Ikon Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    US ski areas being swallowed up by an ever bigger duopoly. Evidence of the "experience" being worsened ... although cheaper... but only for some (those paying more - or getting less are usually locals for whom the travelling benefits are less valuable then for brekfast buffet crowd). The pressure on smaller independent ski areas... it's been discussed here before at length... long term this is not going to be good.
    Meh.


    ďThis is not going to be goodĒ. Isnít a compelling argument in my book.

    Itís economics in action. Whether the outcome is ďgoodĒ is a totally subjective measure.

    Maybe some independent mountains get crushed and close down. Although in Colorado the demographics are of an increasing population that chases the outdoors. Berthoud pass closed down some 20 years ago, but Iím sure theyíd make it, regardless of the Ikon/Epic.

    Iíd bet that in WA, ID, MT, the population growth is similar.

    So whereís the pain, small Midwest independents?

    And as far as the locals go, the resorts arenít there primarily for the cadres of transplanted locals, theyíre businesses and if they think joining IKON is in their interest then they should.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  15. #2615
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What is the argument here? There's a lot of trains of thought in here so it's not clear, but is the argument that AB is wrong, that their business decision to go Ikon/MC will result in less revenue for them? I have a hard time imagining that, if the numbers bounced around in this thread are even close to accurate re reimbursement rate from VR/Alterra. Moreover, I have a hard time imagining it because the people who have the actual numbers -- ABasin management -- made this business decision. And not out of the goodness of their hearts to us Ikoners.

    Or is the argument more the "I wanted to ski AB and buy an Epic pass, and now that is more expensive so I am going to bitch about what a dumb decision AB made"?
    My belief is that:
    1. AB will make more money
    2. AB will likely not be much less crowded, either in terms of skiers or parking, except maybe midwinter weekdays, which weren't ever crowded
    3. It is annoying for me because I have to buy an additional pass
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  16. #2616
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Because IKONers hate to carpool?

    I really donít mind maxed out parking on weekends. Keep the place in business. Parking in the upper lots isnít that bad if you just walk across the road to CDOT.
    Parking in the actual lots isnít a problem. Itís when itís fucking 9am on a Saturday and theyíre already parking down the road near Keystone.

    Once on the mountain, the place doesnít usually feel crowded at all skiing the good terrain.

  17. #2617
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,289
    Long term what isn't good is the Boomers, who built the sport, dying off, with not much replacing them.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  18. #2618
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Itís economics in action.
    As I pointed out.

    In action in a way that is almost always bad for consumers..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  19. #2619
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Long term what isn't good is the Boomers, who built the sport, dying off, with not much replacing them.
    Good riddance.

  20. #2620
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,707
    Well many resorts will close or run reduces seasons due to climate change (thanks again Boomers) so the ski industry capacity will shrink "naturally" to match shrinking participation.

    Long biking season...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  21. #2621
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    My belief is that:
    1. AB will make more money
    2. AB will likely not be much less crowded, either in terms of skiers or parking, except maybe midwinter weekdays, which weren't ever crowded
    3. It is annoying for me because I have to buy an additional pass
    AB's joining the Mountain Collective means 50% day tix at other MC resorts. While that's not free, for many passholders it might make more sense than getting a full IKON
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

  22. #2622
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,289
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Good riddance.
    You must be a cool Backcountry skier, because ain't nobody going to be spinning lifts for a generation that's a trillion point five in debt just for school.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  23. #2623
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You must be a cool Backcountry skier, because ain't nobody going to be spinning lifts for a generation that's a trillion point five in debt just for school.
    Good. Perhaps all these corporate-owned mountains will go out of business and municipalities will realize that community-run ski areas can work. It'll be like the 40's/50's all over again.


  24. #2624
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    10,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    ABasin pass holders get 50% off at MC resorts + more perks coming later this week.
    Same with a Taos pass.

    Nobody goes to A-Basin anymore, it’s too crowded.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  25. #2625
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    colorady
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You must be a cool Backcountry skier, because ain't nobody going to be spinning lifts for a generation that's a trillion point five in debt just for school.
    Most Boomers are already to old to ski, and here we are complaining about the crowds. Hmmm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •