Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I bring my SVST 'pro edge beveler' guide(s) and a spring clip and a diamond stone or three. Simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This is the correct answer. If you have trouble skiing between the rocks rather than over them, you might want to bring a ceramic stone as well to knock down the damage before using the diamond stone(s).

Anyone have opinions on the Racewax version? Looks very similar to the SVST and on sale https://www.racewax.com/racewax-hard...le-file-guide/

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Anyone have opinions on the Racewax version? Looks very similar to the SVST and on sale https://www.racewax.com/racewax-hard...le-file-guide/

Haven't used it, but at that price, I'm tempted to buy one to leave in my start kit. Only problem is that I'd need to hit the $50 minimum for free shipping, making it a very expensive $12 file guide.

The big question with any of them is QC. I've done enough work with machinists to know that even simple jobs can get screwed up.

Having said that, are you the kind of guy who senses the difference between a 1 & 1.5 degree bevel?

I'd take a chance on these if I didn't own two SVST jobbies.

BTW, the SVST comes in 3 flavors: alu, alu with a stainless wear plate, and all stainless.

I can't visualize uneven wear being an issue for the home user with the "base" alu model.

SVST doesn't specify the aluminum alloy, but I'd be very surprised if it was "less" than 6000 series (6061 T6, etc.) and more than likely it's 7075.

Both of these alloys machine accurately.

The Racewax version is 7075. Must be made in China to deliver at this price.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

take a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 make sure you got a 90 degree or whatever angle you want and clamp a single cut file to the side at a 45 degree angle ... call er good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    take a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 make sure you got a 90 degree or whatever angle you want and clamp a single cut file to the side at a 45 degree angle ... call er good
    Good point (I can get wrapped around the axle some times). Is it time for this video yet?

https://youtu.be/Wi4N4duxwgk

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

TLDR the whole thread, but he's a stupid question which I assume hasn't been asked - cause it's stupid. I somewhat know what I'm doing on the bench, and mostly focus my time on keeping the home fleet fairly sharp all year with an SKS and stones.

My dumbass son keeps sliding rails on his all mountain skis. I keep telling him that will permanently ruin his edges. However, I am not a park guy, and have limited true experience trying to retune a rounded edge from rails. Am I right on this one or am I just being a dick/telling him to get off my lawn?

I did eventualy get a real file guide but a block of wood does the same thing

I own and use the racewax file guide. It works. I probs couldn't tell the difference between 1 degree and 1.04 degrees, but I do prefer the guide to the adjustable tuning guides and it was like $10.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    TLDR the whole thread, but he's a stupid question which I assume hasn't been asked - cause it's stupid. I somewhat know what I'm doing on the bench, and mostly focus my time on keeping the home fleet fairly sharp all year with an SKS and stones.

My dumbass son keeps sliding rails on his all mountain skis. I keep telling him that will permanently ruin his edges. However, I am not a park guy, and have limited true experience trying to retune a rounded edge from rails. Am I right on this one or am I just being a dick/telling him to get off my lawn?
    I think yer pissing into the wind ... let him ski dull edges

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Is it time for this video yet?

https://youtu.be/Wi4N4duxwgk

... Thom
    Is it time for some dumbass to explain how the guy in the video doesn't know anything about skis yet?

I use the mid range svst file guides (stainless plate on an alu guide) at home but if i were looking for a tool for a quick slopeside tune I'd probably try this
    http://<br /> https://www.swixsport....51208931<br />

Key is consistency though. You ain't going bring back a sharp edge in a few passes if you are not on top of maintaining it
    Last edited by dcpnz; 11-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post

Well, serious park and pipe competitors use different skis for park versus pipe because they need sharp edges in the pipe. I don't know if that bit of info might help get him to respect his equipment.

But yeah, until and unless he's onboard with the impact, you're probably pissing into the wind. If he doesn't have an adequate quiver to dedicate a pair to thrashing on rails, you could try addressing that angle, but you'd still have to convince him to actually behave accordingly.

Making him maintain his own gear may help, too, if he could be convinced to do that. I'm pretty sure I could get my wife to stop leaving wet skis strapped together in the car if she had to tune her own edges, but that's my problem, so I have to also make sure they actually come into the house and get stood up to dry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post

I use the racewax and it’s fine. Quality tool for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised only one minor mention of the BEAST tools. I think they're pretty nice...both the side edge tool which is well made, and the base tool, although just a basic plastic guide, works well.

I use the inexpensive 1* beast base edge tool. It’s been great for me.

All Beast tools are simple and effective.
    I love my Beast ski vise.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think yer pissing into the wind ... let him ski dull edges
    The unintended benefit of skiing dull edges is being forced to A) hunt out soft snow and getting to know secret spots, and B) have pretty much perfect form and high edge angles to rip around on hardpack or crusty snow. I very rarely tune my edges and its usually a very half assed job so i just ski dull edges. Ive had my SIL (a hardboot snowboarder) tune some skis a few times and it feels like i have a damn bungee cord snapping me out of turns... Super fun, but need to pay attention as im not used to skis hooking up so easily.

I did end up getting one of the Racewax guides and for $10 is is very nice, especially compared to the plastic one I was using before.

Also props to Racewax on shipping, got their free shipping deal and they sent everything 1 day for no charge.