Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A buddy had a condo at Big white with a picture window that perfectly framed newbies offloading the bunny chair and crashing so we would sit and watch them every lunch break for endless entertainment ... reminded me of a warren miller movie

I always like that quote if you don't do it know you will just be another year older when you do

making it to 93 is a pretty good run
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Warren Miller
    watch out for snakes

Mad respect to Warren. Growing up my dad used to rent his movies from Blockbuster for me and we'd watch them over and over.

P.S. I respect him for changing from climate change denier to advocating climate change awareness

RIP Warren

Here's to a Life well lived. Touching and inspiring thousands and thousands over the course of it while never taking it too seriously.

My signed copy of his autobiography just got a bit more collectable. I miss his narration of his movies. Moseley sounds too bro-brahy.

he was the first maggot

The eastitic -spelling-of his films, particuarly mid 80s before Blizzard of ahs, the "fun" mentioned above, being from the deep, rural south...we just drooled over it. Why I've blown 5k a year since 2004 or so taking myself, and the family, "out west." Boggles the mind to think how many of us he, alone, infected with that virus.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    My signed copy of his autobiography just got a bit more collectable. I miss his narration of his movies. Moseley sounds too bro-brahy.
    I just remembered I have a signed (to me) copy of On Film In Print. May have to dig that out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    The eastitic -spelling-of his films, particuarly mid 80s before Blizzard of ahs, the "fun" mentioned above, being from the deep, rural south...we just drooled over it. Why I've blown 5k a year since 2004 or so taking myself, and the family, "out west." Boggles the mind to think how many of us he, alone, infected with that virus.
    Too true. Don’t forget the entirety of midwestern skiers he sent packing “out west” the day after high school too.
    I still call it The Jake.

We did the Jimmy Heuga Express fundraiser one year and got assigned with Chris Anthony. I think he became one of Warren's go to guys later in life.

Warren came from a very humble beginning and early career. Kudos to someone who made it reality and a life.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    My signed copy of his autobiography just got a bit more collectable.
    Mine too. About 3 years ago he walked into my workplace, thanked us for all that we have done for him, and pulled out a box of his new book and signed them right in front of us. Really nice guy in person. Like everybody said above, he had a huge impact on the sport, and a huge impact on me.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

RIP Warren. Personal memory: way back in the day, maybe around 1970 or so, my older brother took me to see a WM movie at Place des Arts in Montreal. I don't remember the title but Warren himself was there, standing beside the 16mm projector, narrating the film. I remember his fantastic voice and that he was very tall. The entire experience pretty much blew my 13 year old mind. At intermission, my big brother stood in line to get me an autographed postcard from Nancy Greene, Canada's ski sweetheart, which I still have.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

He did it pretty big and lasted long. His work will be classically Warren.
    RIP

Orcas island kicks ass!

In "honor of his memory," some rich douchebag who bought Warren's Yellowstone Club slopeside home (which holds a lot of memories for many locals) is evidently demolishing it just to build another house. Not sure if it's been torn down yet. Might have been. That pissed me off when I heard that. Apparently when Warren and his wife were home, they'd hoist a flag up a pole, which meant "Come On In!". They'd have you in for food, drinks, and good conversation.

The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by acostiga View Post
    “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

Thanks, Warren. RIP.
    Yup. RIP Warren.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I can be one of those "too serious" types and a WM session was always light, fun and would make you laugh and smile.

Nice to see how he affected those who were lucky enough to be around him IRL.

A life well lived WM
    Many Thanx
    godspeed

“If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”
    timeless
    ​I am not in your hurry

i got into riding late but i fondly remember the really positive vibe at my first warren miller movie at the schnitzer. they got a little tiring after a few years but the first time i will always remember with a smile.

I agree that his movies where he was narrator and involved in the production were a great mix of fun and laughs and the steep and wow of big mountain skiing that is now showing on TGR and other film productions. Not that there is anything wrong with huge back country and pow skiing film footage and all the tech of today with helicopters, POV cameras, but tech has made the production just way different. Warren Miller was such an early ski bum with the trailer and the winter stay in the parking lot... May have to plug the VCR in and play the one of his 90's decade film just for the laughs and his narration. The series definitely changed when Warren Miller Films was sold and he stepped back from the operation.

Good detailed obit worth reading from the Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/o...ead-at-93.html

If there was ever an honor degree in magness, I hope the tgr dorks would vote for wm, I would.

Changed my life how I looked at snow

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Warren Miller
    Classic. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    RIP Warren. Personal memory: way back in the day, maybe around 1970 or so, my older brother took me to see a WM movie at Place des Arts in Montreal. I don't remember the title but Warren himself was there, standing beside the 16mm projector, narrating the film. I remember his fantastic voice and that he was very tall. The entire experience pretty much blew my 13 year old mind. At intermission, my big brother stood in line to get me an autographed postcard from Nancy Greene, Canada's ski sweetheart, which I still have.
    Nice one. I have a vague memory of seeing him in Calgary in the early 80's. However that was in my "lost 2 decade phase" (1977 - 1997). So I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Good detailed obit worth reading from the Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/o...ead-at-93.html
    I didn't realize he did work with them again on “Here, There & Everywhere".

I just remember this quote -
    “I am glad the panel found that I did not breach any contract,” said Miller, who turns 86 today. “For WME to say or imply that they have exclusive rights to my name, personal endorsement, voice and likeness for all endeavors is both legally false and totally absurd. I have not been involved with my old company’s films in any capacity for many years now, and I will not work with WME again.”
    https://www.denverpost.com/2010/10/1...warren-miller/

A quote from the obit in the Oregonian, (from the LA Times).

"The secret," he told the Los Angles Times in 1999, "is to bring the films to town before the starts falling". "That's why we've been able to make the same film 50 different times." he said. "It jump-starts he season."