Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    New Old Stock has a new meaning.

"January 24th represents many things to me, sadly this is the anniversary of Warren Miller’s passing in 2018 and coincidentally it’s also the day that we traditionally set off each winter to film the annual ski/snowboard movie that bares his name.

However for the first time in my 30 years with @warrenmillerent and for the first time in the companies 74 year history - No one will actually film the movie this winter.

Recently Outside Inc. (the parent company of WM) announced that they will not film a movie this winter. No film crew needed, so guys like @tommday @jeffwright @colindw and me @cinemacp along with many others will be without a contract, an assignment and most importantly without the opportunity to carry on the legacy that Warren left with us, a legacy we respect and honor.

Due to financial challenges at Outside, the executives have chosen to assemble the future movies entirely with “existing footage” - no need for a camera crew, plane tickets, lift tickets and for that matter, no need for athletes or snow."

Chris Patterson

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnzQBX-L...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just another reason why Outside and the private equity behind it sucks. Wall st destroyed US manufacturing in the 80s and 90s and now it’s destroying media, along with the internet.

Ugh. Two things I used to love going down the shitter. I know the movies have just gotten progressively worse over the years but it still sucks. I haven’t seen this years yet. It at least appeared to have some humor in it based on the trailer. And Outside used to so great. I read every issue and still pull out some of Tim Cahill’s anthologies once in a while.

Also, I can’t believe Fifty came out 24 years ago

If you don’t make a Warren Miller movie this year
    You’ll be one year older when you do.

RIP to a legend.
    And fuck corporate greed and bean counters.

That sucks. Grew up watching all the films.

An aside: Our real estate agent for our current house mentioned that he had been in a Warren Miller film and I told him I’d likely watched him as a kid. When I Googled it to find footage the only thing I could find was the clip of him cartwheeling for about 1000 ft. of vert.

The films have been cringe since I saw them growing up (Cold Fusion/Impact) and probably before. Yeah, every movie is trying to plug their sponsors and the free heli/lift tickets they get, but WME is always over the top with the B-roll, lifestyle shots, and more accessible skiing. Looking back on it, something was wrong when teenage me was dreaming about skiing at Steamboat or East Coast instead of driving to interior BC... Came across a more recent edit on youtube: the narration, the product placement, the plugging of luxury accomodation/meal experiences. Sure enough it was WME.

Always seemed like a retirement home for pro skiers past their prime.

IMO a couple of shorts in the Banff tour can probably do as much to stoke up the masses as the latest WME film.

Seeing a bunch of up and comers shred local spots, it doesn't matter if it's inbounds, urban, park, backcountry gets me fired up. Seemed like "local video night" was a thing a couple of years ago, but it's dying off...

Chatgpt will soon enshitten us with AI ski movies

Modern ski films need more gapers falling off of chairlifts.

It's because of Warren Miller that I was sent to a Lathrop race camp back in 84.

I like Mosley’s narration. He should start his own annual film that follows the Warren Formula of the 70’s and early 80’s.

What a bullshit move of Outside. There is a reason that footage hits the cutting room floor.

Agreed with those that already said it, here comes a bunch of bullshit B reel product advertising.

Having the yearly action captures the ethos of each season and chronicles the challenges and epic conditions alike.

My favorites are Skiing on My Mind, Ski Country, and Ski Time.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Warren Miller sold out to Time Warner back in the 90s. It's been nothing more than a marketing agency for several decades.

Yull be another year older when you do something.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Warren Miller sold out to Time Warner back in the 90s. It's been nothing more than a marketing agency for several decades.
    His kid sold out to Time Warner and then they fired Warren. Fuck WME/Time/Bonnier/AIM/POM-Outside.

I do feel for Tom Day and other film crew guys losing their jobs...that sucks.

I haven't watched wme stuff since mid 80s when Stumpy launched.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    His kid sold out to Time Warner and then they fired Warren.
    My friends were roadies for Warren Miller tour in 2002. Another worked in corporate. I helped out stuffing swag boxes a few occasions. No one had anything good to say about Warren's kid, Kurt. He drove a fancy ass sedan around Boulder like a rock star. Seemed really into money, not so much into skiing. The polar opposite of his Dad, who lived in a trailer in Sun Valley at one point.
    Last edited by altasnob; 01-27-2023 at 12:49 PM.