Question for io/7 wearers

I picked up a pair of these in the fall, after a couple of seasons in regular io's.

Like them a lot, but the little turny-tab thing at the top ALWAYS comes unlocked, with any kind of jostle. Even just pulling them up onto my helmet, the top pops out every time.

I bought from bc.com, they said sounds like a warranty thing and sluffed me off to smith. Smith says send them in an maybe in a few weeks we'll get back to you. Meanwhile I'm needing to use them every week and can't really just go without for a month....and paid way too much for them to justify buying another pair as a backup.

Anyone have that same issue w/the tab unlocking/popping out? Any home fixes?

Or any other genius ideas for getting a warranty replacement without a month goggleless?

Same issue here, every damn day. I can only imagine it'll get worse with wear.

I unfortunately don't have a solution but definitely interested in hearing if the problem gets solved with your warranted pair.

I have the same issue with my IO/7s but my gf does not on her pair. It looks like very little plastic is engaging to hold the lens in to me.

I wear mine ~5 days a week, and get that happening once or twice a week. It seemed to happen more when they were new actually, so maybe it will settle down.

Make sure the recessed end of the tab is down, it sits a little flusher then.

If that doesn't work-Duct tape?

That's really weird. I've used mine for 3 seasons now without that happening a single time that I can remember. My gf has never experienced it afaik neither.

I have the same issue with mine. It's pretty ridiculous considering how much they cost. I'm hoping it gets easier but in general switching out the lenses is a bitch and it's easy for the lens to pop out if they flex too much. I've also had some issues with a fogging film on the inside that I haven't had with other Smith lenses. But if you use them in dry conditions and don't remove the goggles from your face they are great!

If your username is "optics" and you have to ask this question--you're gonna have a bad time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    If your username is "optics" and you have to ask this question--you're gonna have a bad time.
    ...heh...that thing where you know there’s potential for a joke, but can’t quite find it...

Have to make sure the latch is keyed in tight to the notch in the lens. Sometimes it looks like it’s engaged but it isn’t. Not had it pop out on 3 sets of io7s

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    ^ yeah I suspect it isn't all the way "in" when you think it is, it takes a fair amount of force and gives a loud and noticeable snap when it's fully "locked" or whatever. otherwise they come loose. I've had 3 pair, and once I figured out how to really mash the thing down the issue went away. I certainly agree it's a weird / undesirable design though.
    This. I've had a few times where I thought it was engaged, then twisted and pulled down the lever, and got no resistance. When I checked, it was because the lens wasn't properly engaged with the little plastic part underneath the lever. When I swap the lenses, I always give the lens a tug at the top to make sure it's properly in. If it moves, I disengage the lever and try again. I've never had an issue once it's properly seated and locked in place.

That said, it's an overly fiddly and intricate mechanism. I otherwise love the goggles, but wish Smith would come up with a better way to swap out lenses.

I have all kinds of issues with these goggles, I completely regret buying them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I've had the "lens attempting to escape" issue a few times, and in almost all cases I managed to flex the goggles while putting them on, usually with rotational force (e.g. twisting the top forward and bottom backwards on one side of the frame only) and then let the side of the lens get unseated. If the side of the lens is unseated, I can still engage the top tab, but the lens isn't really locked in place and will attempt to escape with the slightest provocation.

I think it's probably happened to me about a handful times, and I've easily got 30 days on the goggles, so it's not quite an every day thing...but last time it happened I was b/c skiing at about 9k feet in a substantial wind, and I was not happy about fiddling with the damn lever.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Even just pulling them up onto my helmet, the top pops out every time.
    This happens to me when I have the strap set even a little too tight and I’ve had luck keeping the lens in if I set the strap a little looser than I’m used to.

Anyone think these fog way worse than other goggles? We’ve had a warm winter and I have to hike a lot at my home hill so it could just be me, but these seem way worse than the old I\O

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    This happens to me when I have the strap set even a little too tight and I’ve had luck keeping the lens in if I set the strap a little looser than I’m used to.

Anyone think these fog way worse than other goggles? We’ve had a warm winter and I have to hike a lot at my home hill so it could just be me, but these seem way worse than the old I\O
    I've found the lenses are not reliable in wetter weather. Also, if you want to wnt to wipe the inside while wet, you can't as it will hurt the finish. Lame.