Mike Douglas and the history of the 1080/CND Air force

for all the "damn kids on my lawn" this is all about the history of modern freeskiing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq75...ature=youtu.be

the skis in this thread, was used by a filmer for the original heavy hitting films

Pretty tough to overestimate these guys influence on the sport. Same age as most of them and would see them out at Mt. Hood and BC in the summers. It was fun to think in the early days that if you could land a switch 720 you could be a pro too. Still have my 1080s. RIP JP.

That was awesome. So cool to see everyone in one place. Those guys changed things forever.

mike wilson son

15/10
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I remember when my buddy got a call from Mike Douglas to come work at one of his camps at whistler. Mike is pretty amazing and old which leaves hope for us.

Always wanted a pair of those 1080s back in the day!

Tasteful and so well done. Thanks for that heartfelt history Switchback. If Salomon brought back the 1080 and/or Pocket Rocket graphics it would be an honor to ride those.

Regret that I broke my old big blue noodles

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Not Neil_Armstrong View Post
    I remember when my buddy got a call from Mike Douglas to come work at one of his camps at whistler. Mike is pretty amazing and old which leaves hope for us.

I remember when my buddy was getting texts from Mike D while he was in Japan about some dream trip blah blah, and we convinced him to blow off the phone call to keep skiing pow.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

2005, my now wife was NOT interested in getting back into skiing. Still had her 1997 Elan "shaped" skis. Bought her a pair of 1080s, two runs and she was all about it. Old news, sure, but that ski changed everything.

The episode just flew by, I was left wanting more, especially about the early days of the NCAF. Is there a JP Auclair movie in the works?

This podcast does go more indepth about the concept of the 1080, and the early days of the NCAF.
    http://www.thepowellmovement.com/sho...3-mike-douglas

I watched Degenerates when I was 17... I immediately started my search for a pair of 1080s. I barely even knew what the internet was at this point, but somehow I was able to find out that Granite Chief in Squaw had a pair kicking around. At the next X-games, I got them signed by JP Auclair. I wish I still had those skis....

1080, pocket rocket and the x-scream.

Salomon changed skiing forever.

Mike D is one of my heros.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    1080, pocket rocket and the x-scream.

Salomon changed skiing forever.
    Let's not glorify the blue noodle or the x scream tooooooo much.

I used to ski with a woman who was a Sally rep. After 3 years of using the PR as her pow ski, it was fully reverse-cambered. It was impressive.

Mike Douglas is the man. If I could ski like anyone, I'd ski like him.

really nice film. It made me realize I'm part of the fading Dad generation now. But since I'm not a pro my best skiing has only been in the last few years or so. Being mediocre helps o not feel old age so soon

Salomon changed my skiing as well. I still remember the revelation of skiing my green 2m ak rocket for the first time. " Ahhh... so you can actually ski on Powder..."
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

As usual Switchback killed it on this one. Really puts into perspective how influential NCAF/Salomon and the ski movies around that time were in that era.

RIP JP.

Check out the Mike D / Scott Shchmidt solly freeski ep for more old-timey oh man these guys still rip stoke

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    As usual Switchback killed it on this one. Really puts into perspective how influential NCAF/Salomon and the ski movies around that time were in that era.

RIP JP.
    I still watch some of those movies every year.

Another Pocket Rocket fan here, I remember when they were so fat they would turn heads on the chairlift. My pair got stolen from outside a bar. Worst day of my winter that year.

I'd kill to have an old pair in the back of a cupboard to look at every now and then.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

That could be a full 60 minute documentary... flashback, flash current, show some wangbangers from way way back....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Stuck at work... can't wait to check it out. I also remember the blue noodles....super fun

Sent from my van down by the river. Using a NewSchoolers hack... sick I know.
    That fly seems to like you!