Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightest boot to drive a 115 ski in the BC?

So I’m looking to lighten up my main BC boot (a BD Prime 1600g) and I’m wondering whats the lightest I could go boot wise that’d still be able to drive a 115 (2000g and less) waisted ski in the BC (mostly Tahoe)? I weigh around 155lbs and am not charging shit in a way that makes me need more than a release value above 10 so far.

Right now I have a two boot quiver of the Primes and Dynafit Titans for inbounds and shorter/ 1 lap BC stuff.

Ideally I was thinking I’d like to have that 1600g ish beefier tour boot (replacing the Titan) for inbounds/ more committing BC stuff, then a +1kgish boot (replacing the prime) for longer tours that I’m bringing at max a 100ish waisted ski, but would be nice to be able to handle a true powder ski. I ski a Dynafit Stoke (102 waist) a lot in the BC but there are definitely days were it’s nice to have that extra width, and I don’t always want to be bringing both boots on trips.

Is it dumb to want/ try to get a 1kgish boot to drive a ski that wide?

My atomic backland carbons (1150 ish) drive my kusala just fine. They’re what, 120 or so under foot?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

New Maestrale RS

Alien RS is supposed to be capped at 85, but I'm going to give 116 a try when it's deep and the approach is long. Have ZeroG Pro for everything else.

Maestrale RS can easily handle it, 1st or 2nd gen.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-24-2018 at 10:32 AM.

dumb - no, not at all, but perhaps less than ideal and something your ankles and knees might not like all that much when the conditions get demanding.

my hawx 130 xtds with protours in 25.5 weigh about 1330gr i think, and is very capable indeed, yet pretty decent to tour in. If i was to get a one boot quiver it would be my choice, not a 1000gr boot.

I guess what boot is the lightest that you can get away with comes down to your preferences, your abilities and the snow conditions (not being familiar with either the conditions in Tahoe, nor your skis). I am sure a ski driving ninja can drive a wide and stiff ski with a 1000gr boot, especially in softer, lighter snow. In less than ideal conditions though the more such a boot will fold during harder use and your feet will take the brunt of the abuse due to limited progressiveness and too low a cuff. Personally i would rather have a boot that walks a little bit worse, but skis a lot better than the other way around - but that is my preference, you know what is right for you.

Check out the Salomon MTN Explore. A smidge above 1400g w/ stock liner, and much more capable than you'd think with wider skis. Absolutely no problem for me on Zero G 108s, I wouldn't hesitate to ski them on 115s. I'm not a balls-out Hoji/Thovex type, but I get around. I suppose the MTN Lab might be in order if you crank super-hard - about 1550 g.

It depends on how good or bad the snow is but sooner or later you gotta take the gear off the scale and actuly ski it

At which point a boot that fits and performs like maybe the Vulcan or the Hawx is better than a pair of bedroom slippers with tech fittings

yes i think trying to ski a 115mm ski with 1000 gram boots is dumb but i think unadjustable bindings are dumb and I Iike brakes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I guess what boot is the lightest that you can get away with comes down to your preferences, your abilities and the snow conditions (not being familiar with either the conditions in Tahoe, nor your skis). I am sure a ski driving ninja can drive a wide and stiff ski with a 1000gr boot, especially in softer, lighter snow. In less than ideal conditions though the more such a boot will fold during harder use and your feet will take the brunt of the abuse due to limited progressiveness and too low a cuff. Personally i would rather have a boot that walks a little bit worse, but skis a lot better than the other way around - but that is my preference, you know what is right for you.
    This is the correct answer. Decent skier, perfect corn or a foot of smooth pow, a 1,000 to 1,200 gram boot is fine. Two feet of mank or burly breakable crust, almost anyone will want more boot. IMO, the MTN Lab/S/Lab MTN, Hawx Ultra 130 XTD, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro and Scarpa Maestrale RS will drive just about any ski in any conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Personally i would rather have a boot that walks a little bit worse, but skis a lot better than the other way around - but that is my preference, you know what is right for you.
    ^^^This.

Depends on priority.

I go up to have fun on the way down.

Some people go up, to go up.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This is the correct answer. Decent skier, perfect corn or a foot of smooth pow, a 1,000 to 1,200 gram boot is fine. Two feet of mank or burly breakable crust, almost anyone will want more boot. IMO, the MTN Lab/S/Lab MTN, Hawx Ultra 130 XTD, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro and Scarpa Maestrale RS will drive just about any ski in any conditions.
    Plus with any of these, you don't really need a beef boot to counter it. They are beef boots.

And don’t fall into the “so and so skis 197 katanas with TLT7s and rips” outlier bullshit trap.

Scarpa F1's ski a little better than the old orange Maestrales. I use them with 182 UL GPO's and 185 Zero G 108's. Zero G's felt like a bit much for the boots (even put up a feeler/FS thread) until I detuned the tails. Now they are best friends. Also have older Maestrale RS's that I use for resort skiing. Used them for one tour this winter. Probably won't use them again until spring when I'm expecting to ski something steep with some shitty snow and a short approach. F1's are just too efficient and are enough boot for me 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    They are beef boots.
    Beef boot?

Name:  nordic3pin-300x300.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  20.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Scarpa F1's ski a little better than the old orange Maestrales. I use them with 182 UL GPO's and 185 Zero G 108's. Zero G's felt like a bit much for the boots (even put up a feeler/FS thread) until I detuned the tails. Now they are best friends. Also have older Maestrale RS's that I use for resort skiing. Used them for one tour this winter. Probably won't use them again until spring when I'm expecting to ski something steep with some shitty snow and a short approach. F1's are just too efficient and are enough boot for me 95% of the time.
    i know i sound like a Scarpa F1 groupie but what this guy said. The Backland is also a lot of boot. More then you would expect

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Is it dumb to want/ try to get a 1kgish boot to drive a ski that wide?
    Nope.

The Tlt6/lotus120p3 190 combo seems to work very well.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

When I'd normally break out the 115 waisted skis for BC use is when there is plenty of new stuff, so if it's manky those 115 aren't going to get used BC. Cause what's the use of dragging around an extra 1kg if it's not going to make much more difference than my 102.

Think it's going to something like a Backland/TLT/F1 to replace the Prime and then a Hawk XTD/ Vulcan/ Zero G to replace the Titan.
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 01-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I just sold my HAWX XTD boots in favor of a Fischer Travers Carbon (hair under 1kg in my dainty 25 shell). I haven't been out on them yet, but from all the reviews I have read, they ski just fine, just not as damp or progressive as an alpine boot.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This is the correct answer.
    WRONG

The correct answer is ALWAYS...THE RED ONES.

Unless they clash with your clothing choice then it's the Blue ones.

^ was just gonna say, got Fischer Travers Carbon this year and am pleased. Had them w/my heaviest kit, 108mm ~2000g skis without issue. Wouldn't wanna rock them inbounds regularly but I felt it was plenty of boot in the BC. Paired w/something light they are a dream in most conditions, caveat emptor if you go ultralight skis/boots/bindings you will get tossed around in bad chop of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Nope.

this is a fucking badass picture

Nope.

I almost certainly lack talent compared to mofro, but I took one run on my TLT6s on 187 GPOs doing this sort of skiing and thought it was terrifying. I very much prefer a bit more substantial boot - formerly Maestrale RS, now Atomic XTD.

I've been extremely happy with the Cochise series as a one boot quiver, but I've got 20 pounds on you (and pretty beefy legs) so you could consider the Zero G series or even get away with the Solly MTN Lab I bet and be perfectly content.

Mofro is ..... not really human so extrapolations from him suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    And don’t fall into the “so and so skis 197 katanas with TLT7s and rips” outlier bullshit trap.
    Nope. The Tlt6/lotus120p3 190 combo seems to work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Mofro is ..... not really human so extrapolations from him suffer
    no further comment needed.

On the deep and light days I've been skiing my BD carbon Megawatt (188cm, 147-120-127) with the Scarpa Alien RS. Works well, super fun. But I'd expect to have to work a little harder or get thrown around a bit if it was thick mank or breakable crust, or heavily tracked up powder. Deep, smooth & consistent is great, both up & down.