Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Dang, saw the wrong name somewhere along the line. The offer for a beer is there for you too though if you find yourself on this side of the pond!
    Thanks for the offer Peds. Berkeley was there for a couple days last week, and I'm headed home in a few days I think. Been a month on the road (poor me) and kinda ready to get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Huge congrats to Thing 2/BP - what an unreal rookie season. Capped off with just an unreal 3 at the top. Oft Piste, I cannot even imagine!

The level of skiing is so high it's a little hard for me, a mere mortal, to comprehend.... My top four were Slemett, Murray, Eder (not sure which of those three is 1st), and Rausis. Rausis had the best line creativity, Murray the best and biggest tricks (great line choice), Eder the style, and Slemett the most well-rounded (plus, I love backies).

What a rad season....I'm already looking forward to next year.
    sproing!

huge congrats Berkeley's Dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Amazing skiing all around! Blown away as always!

The reason Bimboes was scored so high for that cliff is because it is the biggest air, highest up on the face, in the steepest section. The big cliff in the central couloir (hollywood) which used to win this event by comparison is much further down the face and people can recover before the next band of cliffs. Xavier de la rue cliff (bimboes air) is essentially a no fall zone. There was a guy who attempted it a few years ago and he tumbled to the bottom of the venue. No one else was as committed, plain and simple. Not sure I agree that is what should score highly vs. tricks, but that's the judges reason for the score. Honestly this was a hard one to judge, could have put the top five in almost any order and most would be ok with it. Incredible event! Congrats to oftpiste and thing #2. What a year!

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Thanks for the offer Peds. Berkeley was there for a couple days last week, and I'm headed home in a few days I think. Been a month on the road (poor me) and kinda ready to get home.
    No worries, go home! Next time.

My future Freeride World Champion just wanted some long-term advice is all...

Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Wow, what a fun comp to watch. The skiing is mind blowing. I still can't comprehend how they can just scope out a line from below and then go nuts on a face with serious consequences in poor light and tough snow and a drone buzzing in front. Absolutely ridiculous skill level. Congrats to thing 2 for an amazing season and to offpiste for raising a badass kid.

FWIW, Xavier De Le Rue was there as an "analyst" and he was saying that, in Verbier especialy,judges expect big mountain charging. Speed, agression, powerful turns and big airs. More than freestyle tricks.
    Like Atrain, I think it explains Bimboes score compared to Eder's. Even though I did enjoy Eder's run the most (and Slemett's was pretty great too), Bimboes was balls to the wall. Xavier‘s cliff is absolutely scary and he aced it, just like he aced that gap in Austria. Dude‘s a charger.
    And, yes, Berkeley 360 had me giggling in my seat. What a great run ! Congrats, dad !
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post

The reason Bimboes was scored so high for that cliff is because it is the biggest air, highest up on the face, in the steepest section. The big cliff in the central couloir (hollywood) which used to win this event by comparison is much further down the face and people can recover before the next band of cliffs. Xavier de la rue cliff (bimboes air) is essentially a no fall zone. There was a guy who attempted it a few years ago and he tumbled to the bottom of the venue. No one else was as committed, plain and simple. Not sure I agree that is what should score highly vs. tricks, but that's the judges reason for the score. Honestly this was a hard one to judge, could have put the top five in almost any order and most would be ok with it. Incredible event! Congrats to oftpiste and thing #2. What a year!
    I agree with this...

Bimboes did the thing where you make it look easier than it is, so nobody thinks you should have won..... Not to take away anything from anyone that gets down Bec in a comp.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    FWIW, Xavier De Le Rue was there as an "analyst" and he was saying that, in Verbier especialy,judges expect big mountain charging. Speed, agression, powerful turns and big airs. More than freestyle tricks.
    Like Atrain, I think it explains Bimboes score compared to Eder's. Even though I did enjoy Eder's run the most (and Slemett's was pretty great too), Bimboes was balls to the wall. Xavier‘s cliff is absolutely scary and he aced it, just like he aced that gap in Austria. Dude‘s a charger.
    And, yes, Berkeley 360 had me giggling in my seat. What a great run ! Congrats, dad !

Useful...
    Name:  Bec de Rosses map.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  147.3 KB

Where is that second Rausis cliff? How about the second Murray cliff?
    sproing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhE_558FXmw/

Mika helmet cam...

Sick skiing all round today, and I'm beyond stoked for Mika!!! Never even thought I'd ever see our skis on the Bec.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

I I think the crazy rausis cliff is basically the huck from a bit skiers right (ca. end of the red zone but a bit skiers right) of the end of the dog leg couloir all over the enormous rock zone into the next big snow field beneath it.
    You can not enter the take off zone from the dog leg it seems. Only the way rausis got there.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Some more notes:
    1. Bimboes made quick work of the entire venue, he was down as fast as it took some guys to find their lines.
    2. Case in point, Sam Lee... but he had a hell of a recovery.
    3. Berkley had a fun run, that 3 was ridiculous. He got knocked not only for the hands down thing but also the pole up to the line and no real exposure on that middle part of his run. But, wow, what a great run on the face none the less and the single/double was fun as well.. I would have guessed though in the 83-84 range as a score.
    4. Eder's run was ill. He had a few hesitation that he got knocked for and the immediate second after landing the 3 he got knocked for. He didn't have as an aggressive or exposed of the line and still managed to get high 80s. I think that's about right.
    5. LCP had a dope run going to until he biffed on his 3. Good mix of flow, drops, and skiing above and through exposure...
    6. Good run from Leo. He had some hesitation and was slower than some through the upper-> mid portion of the face. Where he through that 3 was dope, not the cleanest landing though... but picked his way through some of the most exposed lines.
    7. Rausis' run actually shows a lot of how the judges were scoring. He had 2 pretty big drops, a little exposure, but not as much as Bimboes, and skied the Bec relatively fast. But because he skied around the gnar a little wasn't scored quite as high.
    8. If Craig had either landed that second three clean, or charged a little more between features I think it would have been a much tougher call between he and Bimboes.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Honestly this was a hard one to judge, could have put the top five in almost any order and most would be ok with it.
    Agreed. Awesome that the skiing was so consistent throughout the group that it made the judges' job difficult. Eder slowing down to pick his way through that tech section in flat light probably cost him some points.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Some more notes:
    1. Bimboes made quick work of the entire venue, he was down as fast as it took some guys to find their lines.
    This is also a great point. He skied the top exposed part of the venue faster and smoother than anyone. That shows supreme confidence, skill, technique. The head cam illustrates that nicely.

I love that so many people here think about all this so hard. It's a good conversation. Just returned from the closing party (early geezer departure at midnight) and it is so fun and interesting to talk to the riders about their experiences and feelings about what went down today.

They're partying hard tonight!

I think Eder should have won if it wasn't for his hesitation on the upper portion of the course. His last air was so damn sick and risky...LOVE IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    That was pretty insane. Big lines. And Geo will sell a million skis next year. Go down skis!

But Remember: if you want to cater to the DPS crowd, you have to triple your prices.
    I am in the US and woke up at around 7ish. Asked the wifey to cue the replay. Still a little in shock. Anyone that knows me understands the deal with DOWN. The backstory I will save for later on how I met Micka....but Bimboes rides a stock pair that I gave him from my house after a beer. I asked him if he wanted an extra pair and he told me “no I am good, if I break it you can send me another pair but I can only ski one pair so I don’t need them” The Peak 18s he is riding I bought from Spyderjon on close out and gave to him last year. “They are really good....I ride them at 12” His poles are his dads from decades ago. “Me: You need a pole sponsor. Micka: You don’t like them?”

So without a cliche or some BS I am just excited for Micka and our little ski company called DOWN.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Freeride World Tour - 2018

^^ Holy shit. That’s awesome... and you should send him an extra pair anyway after the last few weeks he’s had!

Edit: I thought more about this and decided you should send the extra pair to me. ;-)
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 04-02-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    I am in the US and woke up at around 7ish. Asked the wifey to cue the replay. Still a little in shock. Anyone that knows me understands the deal with DOWN. The backstory I will save for later on how I met Micka....but Bimboes rides a stock pair that I gave him from my house after a beer. I asked him if he wanted an extra pair and he told me “no I am good, if I break it you can send me another pair but I can only ski one pair so I don’t need them” The Peak 18s he is riding I bought from Spyderjon on close out and gave to him last year. “They are really good....I ride them at 12” His poles are his dads from decades ago. “Me: You need a pole sponsor. Micka: You don’t like them?”

So without a cliche or some BS I am just excited for Micka and our little ski company called DOWN.
    So...he’s not as cool as me on a 196? ;p

Great show for Down at Verbier & two on the podium just a couple weeks ago

Sick! Some people are just next level rad.

The fact that he only skis at 12 makes me feel a lot better about my bindings ability to stay on. I’ve seen that a bunch of the other skiers on tour are at like 16, makes you wonder what DIN they actually need to be at.
    Is he on the 189 or 196 114?

Sick run today, looking at the gopro footage you can see how smooth and fast he skied.
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 04-03-2018 at 10:30 AM.

What a sick finish to the season. Absolutely throwing down in funky snow and flat light. Glad I wasn't a judge because the top five were all unbelievable runs. Eder's final air...wow. Even he seemed shocked he landed it.

Super happy to see Down on the podium.

Atrain, I understand your points but in some ways disagree (just for the sake of discussion, right?). It was clear the judges liked the skier's left lines for the gnarl factor but - and yes, I'm dad - but for example Thing #2's 3 up high was about as committed to a line as you can get. Much higher consequence and exposure than some higher scoring runs.

It was not the winning run, he had a little issue on landing and he wasn't happy with it, but I'd argue that sending that up so high was equally, if not more, committed.

Name:  IMG_0797.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  61.7 KB

Again, I can't tell you all how cool it has been to have the support and love from this community for my son. I am in awe of him and I wish he were a member here to see it all, but I know he feels it somewhere and I sure do.

Wow, and Micka is the same guy buried in that avalanche video a couple weeks ago. Good thing he didn’t die!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The fact that he only skis at 12 makes me feel a lot better about my bindings ability to stay on. I’ve seen that a bunch of the other skiers on tour are at like 16, makes you wonder what DIN they actually need to be at.
    Is he on the 189 or 196 114?

Sick run today, looking at the gopro footage you can see how smooth and fast he skied.
    He's on the 189.

Yeah, the din level kinda speaks about smooth skiing...

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS