Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    He was either joking or he's a huge moron considering he's been consistently losing to North Americans over and over again, aside from the last event. Of course, the day prior he lost to a North American / Canadian.

Sounds like typical Euro (especially East-Euro) trash talk.

Probably works on some - but you would think by the time they get to that level it would be very few.

Andorra postponed a day (at least)...

Anyone know how the venue is looking?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Anyone know how the venue is looking?
    checking for beta....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    These guys really do ride at a level exponentially beyond most good skiers. And then they have to hold it together in a highly pressurized, competitive environment with helicopters hovering over them which is at least half, probably more, of the game.

Most of the video footage we see of skiing is of the best athletes in the world either competing or showing off, and I think we thus tend to treat that level of skiing as what we expect when we watch video footage. Aside from athletes using video as a tool for reviewing their runs, most people don't watch themselves ski a whole lot, and the ability of video to reduce the apparent gnar factor of terrain is huge. I've skied T1, and like most things, it looks a lot more intimidating from the top than it does from the video feed.

I said it in the Shifrin thread, I think, that NBC should find a way to send a Really Good recreational skier down the slalom and GS courses so viewers can see what "good skiing" looks like compared to the best of the best. I'd say the same thing about FWT, but I suspect you'd need a new Really Good recreational skier for each event, as the previous one would still be in the hospital.

Me:"How's the venue looking?" Thing #2: "Fine. Snow's alright."

He's always been a man of few words.

Hey oftpiste,
    what length of the Rustler is your boy skiing, 188 or 192 cm? Do you know by any chance what lengths LCP and LS are on? Thanks in advance and all the best for your boy for the upcoming event. He truly rips.

Thank you! He's on the 188. Says they're easier to spin. Not sure what the other fellas are riding. LCP is not a tall dude.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Most of the video footage we see of skiing is of the best athletes in the world either competing or showing off, and I think we thus tend to treat that level of skiing as what we expect when we watch video footage. Aside from athletes using video as a tool for reviewing their runs, most people don't watch themselves ski a whole lot, and the ability of video to reduce the apparent gnar factor of terrain is huge. I've skied T1, and like most things, it looks a lot more intimidating from the top than it does from the video feed.

I said it in the Shifrin thread, I think, that NBC should find a way to send a Really Good recreational skier down the slalom and GS courses so viewers can see what "good skiing" looks like compared to the best of the best. I'd say the same thing about FWT, but I suspect you'd need a new Really Good recreational skier for each event, as the previous one would still be in the hospital.

Conditions look pretty good:

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

think it's been storming out recently.... they're saying Friday looks good for comp.

think it's been storming out recently.... they're saying Friday looks good for comp.
    I hope so!

I'll be at my desk most of the day.
    ...NOPE>...
    No competition tomorrow Friday 2nd due to safety concerns. The FWT Vallnord-Arcalís Andorra 2018 is ON HOLD.
    Next call tomorrow for a potential competition on Saturday March 3rd.
    Stay tuned for more information to come
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Got a text this morning from the thing. There was an avy fatality on the venue. Two buried, one survivor. Apparently the victim was a local guide and his partner, according to google translated news stories, was someone associated with the FWT. Berkeley said he didn't think that was the case but was uncertain.

Terribly sad and scary.

Got a text this morning from the thing. There was an avy fatality on the venue. Two buried, one survivor. Apparently the victim was a local guide and his partner, according to google translated news stories, was someone associated with the FWT. Berkeley said he didn't think that was the case but was uncertain.

Terribly sad and scary.
    Oh jeez oft. let us know more when you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

from FWT: "A mountain guide was caught today in an avalanche while working to secure the competition venue for the Freeride World Tour (FWT) taking place at Vallnord-Arcalís, Andorra.Despite the rapid response of the rescuers from Vallnord-Arcalís and the mountain rescue group (GRM) of Andorra, the injuries sustained by the victim were fatal. He was declared deceased at the Nostra Senyora de Meritxell Hospital.
    The FWT organization and riders, together with the ski resort of Vallnord-Arcalís would like to express its most sincere condolences to the family and friends of the victim."

Holy cow.. so sad.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

There are some straight up dicks in that facebook thread. Yet another confirmation of why i dont have an active account.

Vibes. Such a thin line between getting the venue safe, and not bombing/sluffing off all the snow. Much finer of a line than exists with normal patrol work at a resort. scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    There are some straight up dicks in that facebook thread. Yet another confirmation of why i dont have an active account.

Vibes. Such a thin line between getting the venue safe, and not bombing/sluffing off all the snow. Much finer of a line than exists with normal patrol work at a resort. scary stuff.
    yeah Vibes to guide...shitty deal...those folks are the real deal typically too....

All for some to watch other people fling their bodies off stuff they really shouldnt be flinging their bodies off of.

Oh, man....how sad for everyone involved. Really sorry to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I take it they've cleaned it up, everything there now seems respectful.

And sucks for everyone involved.

All for some to watch other people fling their bodies off stuff they really shouldnt be flinging their bodies off of.
    i'd be willing to bet he was super excited for the opportunity. Judge much?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U22vo0I.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	226226

After the fatality I do indeed feel callous asking this but anyone (oftpiste?) know what's up in Andora? Stability or weather related delays? What are the odds of the event happening before the end of the competition window?

Wow. Very sorry to hear that news