Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    I shudder to imagine a crash of that magnitude on the Bec des Roses venue.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    The cut after Fieberbrunn is, of course, designed to add to the competitive excitement of things and put a little pressure on the riders (for better or worse). It also designates who returns the following season and makes room for incoming athletes. If there had been the full compliment of athletes the event would still on hold as that weather window seriously closed at the end of the comp the other day and has not reopened yet.
    I'm not saying a full compliment. A cut to fifteen from the 22-24 on the regular tour is still significant.

Are the Peiffer kids the spawn of str8line?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Geez, no one impressed with my celebrity sightings?

Cutwise, is 15 really that much different than 12? Maybe, I get your point, or maybe not.

I don't think the Peiffer are str8lines but who knows? Does he even know?

Yup, same Pollard. Good kid, good skier. Won a lot of stuff as a junior. He was just a few points behind Grifen in FWQ last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Geez, no one impressed with my celebrity sightings? .
    No James Blunt or Diana Ross? phhfttttt.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Did she qualify for next years tour?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Did she qualify for next years tour?
    Whoops wrong thread.... although she’s a big fan of the butter boy!

^^^ that's a great pic. FYI, bobinch and his lovely wife Jane are marvelous, generous hosts and nice people. Meet them if you can.

Female rookie of the year is also a bad ass currently calling Mt Hood Meadows home. Way to go Erika and Berkely!

Woot

They didn't even get an Audi sticker! Erika's a cool gal and shreds. She and B are pretty good pals.

Yeah, Berk!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I was searching for this thread this am to post the same thing.

Well deserved. Nice work.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Mika, local boy 7yo bootpacked and then skied the dogleg from the top today. Speechless 😳
    http://www.ridevalais.ch/mika-au-bec-des-rosses/

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Mika, local boy 7yo bootpacked and then skied the dogleg from the top today. Speechless ��
    WTF!

Of course 7 year olds barely understand the concept of mortality, so kinda mixed feelings about that one to be honest. That kid can rip though!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Mika, local boy 7yo bootpacked and then skied the dogleg from the top today. Speechless 😳
    Sick!

Looking ahead to next season, Tanner Hall joins as a wild card entry. https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...70#sf190501270

Freeride World Tour - 2018

In the other thread..chime in mags. Initial thought is “wow how demotivating to all the guys on the FWQ that worked their asses off to get a slot”
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

To be fair, you could say Tanner has worked his ass off too for many years and he’s worthy of a slot. He will bring publicity, which the tour could use. I like it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    To be fair, you could say Tanner has worked his ass off too for many years and he’s worthy of a slot. He will bring publicity, which the tour could use. I like it.
    You could but it is still discrediting all the other riders that have worked their asses off too. Maybe not the resume and the sponsors but still working their asses off to get to events on their own dime and trying to rake up enough points to even get qualified for 3 and 4 star events.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Isn't this essentially the same as when they let Candide in? If memory serves, that worked out alright.

Tanner is immaterial.
    Arguing based on the people or personalities doesn't work for me - often boiling down to who's cool and who's not.

The issue is the Wild Card which does seem like a crime boss oligarchical construct on the part of the FWT. Agreed that it might demoralize some competitors who have risen by hard work rather than industry connections.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Isn't this essentially the same as when they let Candide in? If memory serves, that worked out alright.
    Yeah, wildcard spots are nothing new. If you are working your way up through the qualifiers you know this is a possibility.

Are the venues the same as last year? My money says he delivers mid-pack performances in Hakuba, KH and Vallnord that are good slopestyle runs but lack the real charging and technically tight skiing needed to break into the top 5-10 spots, but crashes out of at least one run. Gets his ass handed to him in Fieberbrunn and misses the cut for Verbier.

I think venues are the same as most are under contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new venue to bring the comp count back to 6.

I don't think you have to worry about TH's presence being demoralizing. He's a good skier and a legend (in more ways than one), but the only difference between him and the other men on the tour is that he's more famous. They're all incredibly badass and know what they're capable of.

Anyone that competes at that level on those venues isn't in the slightest bit afraid of any other skier. They're more concerned about who is cool to hang and compete with. No disrespect, but certainly no demoralization. They know what they're capable of and in most cases are vastly more experienced in this type of competition than nearly any legend who might get thrown a wildcard.

LBNL, I wonder why TH would do it? Pro skiers - even younger ones - I've spoken to about the FWT say there's no way they'd do it. Filming and personal appearances are safer, they get to actually ski way more, the money's better and the travel isn't nearly as tough. He certainly ain't doing it for the money unless there's money there that isn't being mentioned, but I doubt that. Needs to re-up or re-center his profile?