Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21
    Interview with T-Hall where he gives his motivation for seeking out the FWT: https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...48#sf190593248

Says LCP told him he should do it. I agree with LCP. Will be great for FWT visibility (especially in NorAm), and for showing the caliber of skiing that happens in every event. Definitely would be a bit steamed if I were a competitor, but ultimately I think these wildcards are good for the sport.

Travis Rice won Hakuba on a wild card invite. Gigi Ruf competed most (all?) of last season, and did pretty well. Terje...showed up. But seeing what those famous dudes did fired up my non-FWT-following friends on how good Luebke is. I bet the same will happen here, and guys like Luebke, Alto, and Thing 2 might get a little more support and hopefully more $$.

No, I'm not saying that all American pro skiers are going to saved by the jah-Messiah T-Hall420, and henceforth made rich by skiing in FWT comps, but every little bit helps.
    sproing!

Good story. Thanks for posting it up. Humility and sobriety often go hand in hand. Not so much here it appears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I'd rather see Candide Thovex show everyone on the FWT what skiing really is...but I guess it could be fun watching Tanner falling leaf all the way down the venues.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Freeride World Tour - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Good story. Thanks for posting it up. Humility and sobriety often go hand in hand. Not so much here it appears.
    So he got sober and feels regret like he realized how much better he could have been despite his success. So he wants to prove it now. Nothing wrong with that.

BTW - watch some Candide runs from 8 years ago and you will quickly realize how much the sport has progressed in a short amount of time. It would be amazing to see him return now. Some of his winning runs from 2010 likely wouldn’t make the podium last season. I just watched a few and was surprised. Still great skiing of course.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 05-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

“What do you think you can do differently on some of these faces that the FWT contests are held on?
    Skiing is not about 360s, backflips, and 720s, anymore. And if those big-mountain skiers aren't watching how the tricks are evolving in the park, then they've got a big surprise coming next year. “

I thought this part was pretty funny. Going to be interesting to see what TH thinks he can do, trick wise on such big exposed faces.
    I’m excited to see what TH can show at the comp. He’s a strong technical skier and maniacal when he sets his sights on something.

Tanner Hall!!! (I’ve been unplugged for a while). This will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

im pumped that Tanner is riding FWT this year. they need all the eye balls, publicity, and ad $$ they can get which Tanner can bring and the existing riders cannot (at no fault of their own).

his presence will only help the qualifiers in the long run if he sticks with it.

Just read the article / interview meter-man linked. I liked the part where it mentioned he had been kicked out of Squaw Valley for using foul language..... classy.

FWT '19 wildcards announced...(does that mean we need a new thread?? I hope not.)

Ski-W: Jackie Passo, Maude Besse
    Ski-M: Tabke (ALTO rides again!), Fabio Studer, Carl Regnier, Aymar Navarro
    Board-W: Takama Hama
    Board-M: nadie

Who is Hedvig Wessel - pro bumper girl?
    And who is this Tinner Halls guy? Heir of the cough drop fortune?
    sproing!

So happy to hear that Tabke got a wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    “What do you think you can do differently on some of these faces that the FWT contests are held on?
    Skiing is not about 360s, backflips, and 720s, anymore. And if those big-mountain skiers aren't watching how the tricks are evolving in the park, then they've got a big surprise coming next year. “

I thought this part was pretty funny. Going to be interesting to see what TH thinks he can do, trick wise on such big exposed faces.
    I’m excited to see what TH can show at the comp. He’s a strong technical skier and maniacal when he sets his sights on something.
    Not a TH fan however he does deserve it . Well put 2Funky.
    Congrats to BP on His accomplishment totally awesome to follow him
    always forward but never straight

I suspect big egos fall hard in this arena. Really doesn't matter what you've done or what you did yesterday. You have to show up that day with a big spirit and put lots of little, very difficult athletic and spiritual pieces together.

Having spent time with a bunch of them - young to old, experienced to inexperienced, men and women - last season I can't say I encountered anyone who came off that way. Even the very experienced and successful don't really wave their dicks around.

TH seems to be of a different ilk. I'm not sure it will serve him, but who knows?

I'm also interested to see how it turns out. I've always been a T-Hall fan, simply because he's a ferocious champion. He might be controversial in other ways, but that dude wants to win. Period. I was kind of bummed to see things go sideways when he was trying to qualify for the 2014 olympics and getting dropped from redbull.

Everybody that wants longevity in the sport should be rooting for him. If anything, he's proven how far you can bring back a broken body.

Speaking of the wildcard business, lots of guys that failed to requalify got another shot. This isn't the olympics, this is biznas! Gotta keep those characters coming back for another season. Can't have too much turnover or people won't know who to root for.

/speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So happy to hear that Tabke got a wildcard.
    Yep. If were talking merit, Tabke unquestionably deserved a wild card.

QFT and FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey;5398303
    This isn't the olympics, this is biznas! Gotta keep those characters coming back for another season. Can't have too much turnover or people won't [I
    tune in as much.[/I]

QFT and FIFY.
    No, I love that shit, I'll still watch. I like the new blood coming in, but I also like throwing in "stars" like candide, gigi ruf, and THall, it's cool to see how the young guns (and older comp guys) compare. There's no denying that to get to the FWT you have to be able to consistently pull off the highest level of rad, but THall has a stack of X-games gold medals, so I would argue that's an even slightly higher pedigree of performance. When's the last time someone dominated FWT that hard, Xaxier de la Rue? It's also been 10 years for TH, so I'm just curious to see what goes down. I bet double backies.

I think that's mostly a NA thing, the lesser known comp riders and then video stars. The euros are doing comps and mainstream video parts. There's more money for the people on the circuit in europe. There's just a lot more money in the ski industry in Europe, in general.

^^ Tanner definitely seems like he'll have the go big or go home mentality, which should be fun to watch. I expect maybe a podium or two and definitely some DNF's.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    When's the last time someone dominated FWT that hard, Xaxier de la Rue?
    Well, if we're talking men's snowboarders, Luebke has won the last three years in a row and hasn't even had a real challenger.

Part of the equation is also probably about the athlete's exposure(s). Luebke is a pretty low key guy, doesn't trumpet himself much, not in tons of movies etc. His social media feeds are mostly full of pics of his kids and stuff. XdlR is high profile, TH is high profile. They generate more eyeballs and let more people know when they're dominant.

Part of the equation is also probably about the athlete's exposure(s). Luebke is a pretty low key guy, doesn't trumpet himself much, not in tons of movies etc. His social media feeds are mostly full of pics of his kids and stuff. XdlR is high profile, TH is high profile. They generate more eyeballs and let more people know when they're dominant.
    Good Point. But it seemed like XdlR was thrust into the spotlight because of his comp domination. Or maybe he was a winner in addition to having a propensity for self promotion.

Gotta respect how much training and just skiing T-Hall has been doing, seems like that is all he does and looks in really good shape. Since he's been off the booze it looks like every day is gym/physio and skiing.