Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Permanently gluing skins to base?

Any advice on permanently gluing a climbing skin to a ski base? This is for a nordic skin ski (basically an xc ski with a strip of skin in the grip zone), and whatever the manufacturer (Fischer) did isn't holding very well.

Shoe Goo
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I guess I'd email your dealer or even better Boulder Nordic Sport. They will prolly be happy to advise; have seen most every Nordic problem/solution

It would be either contact cement / 2 part epoxy / shoo goo

but these fucking dentists don't know shit so I would ask on an XC site
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nails.

Back when I was in school, I glued the whole skin to the base, cause, ya know, like, it was uphill both ways in tit deep snow summer and winter.

when the split board thing was much younger there was localy an eclectic group of old snow boarders who made approach skis out of 130cm kids skis instead of splitting a board and messing with hardware

they glued skin scraps to the bases i think with contact cement but it would kind of depend on what you were gluing to?

The approach ski bindings didn't have to take much abuse so they made them from heavy guage wire & stock plastic or doot hinges, really old soft AT boots and hard boot bindings on their hill boards ... cost almost nothing

If you are trying to glue to pets(UMHMH polyethylene) it tough. It is one of the most difficult plastics to glue.
    Rough the surface with coarse sandpaper, flame treat to oxidize, epoxy and clamp. In other words, nails.

pets=ptex stupid auto correct

Ok I know this isn't an xc site, but my question is about ski construction tech not VO2max or spandex, and TGR Tech Talk is the best place on the web to find people who know ski construction and repair inside out. Where else could I get a guy who ran a well respected ski manufacturing business shitposting in my thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Shoe Goo
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It would be either contact cement / 2 part epoxy / shoo goo
    Have either of you tried shoe goo or contact cement on ski base material? Does it adhere well?

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    If you are trying to glue to pets(UMHMH polyethylene) it tough. It is one of the most difficult plastics to glue.
    Rough the surface with coarse sandpaper, flame treat to oxidize, epoxy and clamp. In other words, nails.
    Adhesion to the ptex base was my main concern. Any advice on how to do the flame treatment without melting or otherwise damaging the base? Which particular epoxy would give a good combination of adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance? The skis would see a lot of use in wet snow conditions.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Ok I know this isn't an xc site, but my question is about ski construction tech not VO2max or spandex, and TGR Tech Talk is the best place on the web to find people who know ski construction and repair inside out. Where else could I get a guy who ran a well respected ski manufacturing business shitposting in my thread?

Have either of you tried shoe goo or contact cement on ski base material? Does it adhere well?
    !

fuckidano,

its just gona be one of them 3 but i'm putting my money on contact cement

I would ask an xc ski repair person or the mfger who made the ski

these fucking dentists could probably glue a loose crown back in yer head

but thats as far as I would trust them eh?

......Adhesion to the ptex base was my main concern. Any advice on how to do the flame treatment without melting or otherwise damaging the base? Which particular epoxy would give a good combination of adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance? The skis would see a lot of use in wet snow conditions.

Thanks everyone!
    I would think something like Hardman Orange-Very High Peel Strength Epoxy-Adhesive would be worth a shot:

The Hardman Very High Peel Strength 04007 EPOWELD® 13230 A/B is a flexible, tough and durable vibration resistant epoxy adhesive.
    Flexible, tough and Durable. Excellent general purpose adhesive that bonds to most anything. Great work ski and snowboard repairs and insert installations. Long work life.
    Typical uses include repairing of sports equipment, marine, aircraft, auto, truck and tractor parts.

• High peel and shear strength
    • Bonds to polystyrene, ABS nylon, metal, wood, masonry and rubber
    • Excellent adhesive for grinding wheel hubs, door and window gaskets
    • Working time: 3 hours
    • Handling strength: 18 hours
    • Color: Grey
    • Viscosity: Soft paste

Also, something like PL400 or Urethane adhesives for roofing and flashing basically stick to anything and remain flexible.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Thanks Alpinord, I think I still have a packet of the Hardman orange that I bought from you a couple of years ago for an insert installation project that never happened... what's the shelf life on that epoxy?

Thanks Alpinord, I think I still have a packet of the Hardman orange that I bought from you a couple of years ago for an insert installation project that never happened... what's the shelf life on that epoxy?
    Not sure. I'd have to dig for the info at Royal/Hardman. In the past, if it hadn't been exposed to air and still pasty/fluid, it has worked fine. You might try a small test first.

As noted above, be sure to rough up the kick zone area and clean with alcohol first.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I know of someone who wanted to do this. cat spunk is your answer. Now your probably thinking cats have tiny balls and can't shoot too much love juice and you'd be right in thinking so, however if you hunt round the neighbour hood you'll find an abundance of available cats just waiting to be wanked off. failing that post in tech talk someone else may know another solution

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

https://ebsadventure.com/blogs/news/...the-investment
    What do I do when the skin wears out?

Replacement skins cost anywhere from about $30 to $90. You can change the skins yourself but we also offer that service at the store.

I sharpened up my google and it took me literally 30 seconds to find a little info

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    I know of someone who wanted to do this. cat spunk is your answer. Now your probably thinking cats have tiny balls and can't shoot too much love juice and you'd be right in thinking so, however if you hunt round the neighbour hood you'll find an abundance of available cats just waiting to be wanked off. failing that post in tech talk someone else may know another solution

I tried this also but come to find out like 95 percent of neighborhood cats are fixed so you have to use strays or bobcats, and those sons of bitches are fast.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus183 View Post
    I tried this also but come to find out like 95 percent of neighborhood cats are fixed so you have to use strays or bobcats, and those sons of bitches are fast.

if you go over to Africa, you could milk a lion them fuckers have massive gonads probably get enough in one session to hold the skins on all season

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    if you go over to Africa, you could milk a lion them fuckers have massive gonads probably get enough in one session to hold the skins on all season

TrueNorth,
    Is there by chance a rescue zoo or similar establishment in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus183 View Post
    I tried this also but come to find out like 95 percent of neighborhood cats are fixed so you have to use strays or bobcats, and those sons of bitches are fast. TGR Forums mobile app
    Good to know... Since you have experience in this area, maybe I could send you a shipping label and ask you to spit not swallow next time you get frisky with the felines?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://ebsadventure.com/blogs/news/...the-investment
    What do I do when the skin wears out?

Replacement skins cost anywhere from about $30 to $90. You can change the skins yourself but we also offer that service at the store.

I sharpened up my google and it took me literally 30 seconds to find a little info
    Yup, the google led me there too before posting, but that's literally all they have to say on the topic so naturally I came here to get the deets on the DIY part.

I could just pay my local shop to fix them, and the fix might or might not last, but that's not the spirit of Tech Talk, is it now?

I will try the Hardman orange epoxy first since I already have it, and if that doesn't work maybe your contact cement suggestion.

Wrap duct tape around each end of the skin and ski. Done.

Any advice on permanently gluing a climbing skin to a ski base? This is for a nordic skin ski (basically an xc ski with a strip of skin in the grip zone), and whatever the manufacturer (Fischer) did isn't holding very well.
    Cut the base material out and epoxy the skin to the core. It will glide better than the skin on the base and will be less likely to peel off.
    Look at these- http://us-store.altaiskis.com/produc...-updated-2016/

I could just pay my local shop to fix them, and the fix might or might not last, but that's not the spirit of Tech Talk, is it now?

I will try the Hardman orange epoxy first since I already have it, and if that doesn't work maybe your contact cement suggestion.
    yeah except he is guessing and so was I

its the equivalent of asking a dentist about a heart transplant when you could just ask a cardiaologist

but good luck with that

This is for a nordic skin ski (basically an xc ski with a strip of skin in the grip zone), and whatever the manufacturer (Fischer) did isn't holding very well.
    AFAIK the recessed area where the mohair strip is attached is not ptex. If true, ignore the advice based on that assumption.