Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy 21.1.18 CO Red Mountain Pass fatal avalanche

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...49&view=public

Quote Originally Posted by CAIC
    A backcountry skier was killed in an avalanche on January 21, 2018 in an area, locally know as Sam's Trees, between Red Mountain Pass and the town of Silverton. CAIC staff have visited the site and we will post a detailed report later this week.
    SS-AS-D2 fx was Cons. danger with storm slab and persistent slab problems fx for the aspect reported.

Scant details on this tragic death.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

that is sad. we finally have enough snow to kill. we had remote releases on our tour yesterday. I will question how the danger rating can drop to moderate. I am certain the same conditions that kept me from skiing lines yesterday are still going to be there tomorrow. I would say that potential for human triggered avalanches is likely not probable.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    that is sad. we finally have enough snow to kill. we had remote releases on our tour yesterday. I will question how the danger rating can drop to moderate. I am certain the same conditions that kept me from skiing lines yesterday are still going to be there tomorrow. I would say that potential for human triggered avalanches is likely not probable.
    My impression is that frequently the distinction between Moderate and Considerable is often determined in large part by the potential for natural avalanches. I agree though that my decision making doesn't change much/at all between the two ratings, particularly if persistent slabs are on the menu.

27 is much too young. RIP.

yes the moderate verse considerable issue has been discussed. I am not a pro but I will give my opinion. If you ski a 38* sparsely treed gully couloir in the southern San Juans tomorrow you are likely to have similar results as this incident on Sunday.
    off your knees Louie

Abel was one of my best friends and one of my main adventure partners. I'm at a loss and so sad. This has hit our community hard. Abel had a contagious sense of adventure and was so full of life. His passion for the mountains and finding the craziest ways to explore them will never be forgotten. He was way to young, and had so much life left to live. Keep his family in your thoughts.

I've heard the first hand account but will let the CAIC report expand on what happened. Just a reminder, everyone has made mistakes in the backcountry and it's always easier to judge a situation in hindsight.

Stay safe out there friends. And don't forget to tell the people you love how much they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've heard the first hand account but will let the CAIC report expand on what happened. Just a reminder, everyone has made mistakes in the backcountry and it's always easier to judge a situation in hindsight.

Stay safe out there friends. And don't forget to tell the people you love how much they mean to you.
    Sorry for your loss bud. I've lost far to many friends in the backcountry and I found it best to tune out and ignore the internet and social media for a few weeks until the wound has time to heal. People love to judge and use these incidents to prop themselves up as experts, and don't have any regard for the victim's families or perspective as to how great the person was. It can get ugly, and it's not worth your time to listen to right after the incident. Just my 2 cents.

RIP.

I'm going to do my best to avoid the net for a bit but I just wanted to share these photos of my boy first. He had the kind of stoke that was just impossible not to tap into

Out in the Vestal Basin before skiing Arrow and Vestal last spring.

Relaxing on the top of Red Mountain #3 looking upon his kingdom.

Cheezin in a little traveled canyon somewhere in the Bears Ears

Going to miss you bro.

sorry for your loss. I lost a friend in an avie this year also. Yes we all make mistakes we are human.
    off your knees Louie

That just plain sucks.

I am sorry for your loss.

Rad pics. Would way rather see/hear about this dudes adventures than the armchair QBing every newly-minted lvl 1 wants to offer up.

Vibes Smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Abel was one of my best friends and one of my main adventure partners. I'm at a loss and so sad. This has hit our community hard. Abel had a contagious sense of adventure and was so full of life. His passion for the mountains and finding the craziest ways to explore them will never be forgotten. He was way to young, and had so much life left to live. Keep his family in your thoughts.

Sorry to hear about the incident and how close he was to you. Hang in there and keep on trucking safely in Abel's honor.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

rad weminuche pics

Sorry for your loss man.

Vibes to Smiley and the rest of the Durango community.

CAIC has some photos up; still waiting on the full report.

I'm sorry Smiley. He sounds like a great dude.

RE: Pictures, I wasn't expecting the terrain to look like that (complete 550 Jong).
    These little features that rip really get me thinking about communication, terrain selection, etc.

**not judging, just observing**

Vibes Smiley and all those connected.

So sorry for your loss. Vestal & Arrow pics are rad- having climbed them in summer I know skiing them is quite an accomplishment!

Sorry for your loss Smiley. Vibes to the community.

Turns out my girlfriend used to baby sit him up in Ophir when he was a tyke. She says his mom and dad are great folks and must be absolutely stricken. It is best to honor his memory.

Bummer.

Micro terrain features just as lethal as big terrain. If you went through the historical fatality reports in CO there are quite a few from small pockets in the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

RIP

I know Abel's Dad from way back and have a few friends with connections to the Ophir community. Stay strong San Juan peeps and be there for each other.

premptive - I don't know if this is the vibes or analysis thread but remember the victim is somebody's kid, grandkid, best friend etc. In the past we've kinda agreed to keep the scrutiny separate.

Very sad. Vibes to smiley and Abel's friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    premptive - I don't know if this is the vibes or analysis thread but remember the victim is somebody's kid, grandkid, best friend etc. In the past we've kinda agreed to keep the scrutiny separate.
    I think the TGR culture is vibes threads in Ski & Snowboard, respectful honest analysis threads in Slide Zone. Perhaps this thread will be both.

I've come to believe that all analysis should be done with the ultimate goal of understanding for the purpose of future avoidance, not pillorying victims, lest victims keep their learning experiences secret for fear of a scarlet letter. I didn't always have that outlook, but I was wrong then.

Right now all we have to analyze is it's a tragedy and the guy hit up amazing places.

Summit nailed it.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.